What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ v Poms in US

Pommy

Coach
Was there ever any confirmation that this would have an opener?
I know people were speculating about USA vs ireland at one stage.

100%green

Juniors
Why is it a bunch of fans in here can see what is needed and could organize s*** better than the "Professionals" that are in charge? And as for the Northern Hemisphere....I am well and truly stunned!!!

So that is it...Nothing for Ireland, Scotland, Wales etc?

morningstar

Juniors
NZRL report from Tues meeting...

http://nzrl.co.nz/kiwis-denver-bound/

The Denver showdown between the Kiwis and England on 23 June is on track following a successful trip by New Zealand officials to Australia this week.

The Kiwis team management and New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) Chairman Reon Edwards returned to New Zealand following a constructive meeting on Tuesday with the 16 NRL clubs, the Rugby League Players’ Association (RLPA), English Rugby League (RFL) and NRL Executives.

In relation to the medical and player management issues, representatives from the RLPA confirmed they had been provided with a level of comfort regarding their specific concerns in that area.

NZRL Chair Reon Edwards said, “It was really positive to receive those comments. Of course NZRL is committed to following through on its commitment to deliver on the player management plan and maintain ongoing communication with clubs.”

Kiwis Team Doctor Greg MacLeod and High Performance Coach Donny Singe presented a comprehensive report around the player welfare and workload management that would be implemented in the lead-up to, and during the tour. It was also agreed that further assistance would be available to clubs following the players’ return from Denver.

NZRL will keep in regular communication with the NRL, NRL clubs and RLPA over the coming months to allay any other concerns with regard to the Test in Denver.

Doctor MacLeod says, “Our priority is to ensure we mitigate those risks associated with travelling long distances, a short turnaround and player workload. We have an extremely competent medical team and high performance staff and we’re fully committed to making this tour a success.”

The meeting was also attended by Rugby League International Federation Chairman John Grant who threw his support behind the June Test match, outlining the long-term benefits for the International game. The 2025 Rugby League World Cup will also be staged in the U.S in partnership with the same promoter as the Denver Test, Moore Sports International.

Edwards added, “By taking this RLIF sanctioned Test match to Denver we are breaking new ground for International Rugby League. I am the first to admit, the communication and information sharing with clubs could further improve, however all clubs have now been educated around NZRL’s commitment to mitigate the risks associated with the Denver travel demands. We’re looking forward to taking our Kiwi players to a new and exciting destination and giving the Americans a taste of International Rugby League.”

Kiwi legends Olsen Filipaina (Kiwi #529), Ali Lauitiiti (Kiwi #677) and Henry Fa’afili (Kiwi #687) are also right behind the new fixture seeing the exciting prospects for the game of rugby league in New Zealand.

“I fully support the Kiwis playing in Denver – how else is our game of rugby league going to expand if we don’t showcase it to other countries? Let’s give them a taste of Kiwi,” Filipaina said.

Lauitiiti added, “Personally, I think it’s a great initiative and it’s worked for other sports so I’m keen to see rugby league do the same thing. It’s our great game so I can’t wait for the rest of the world to be blessed with it.”

Pommy

Coach
Why is it a bunch of fans in here can see what is needed and could organize s*** better than the "Professionals" that are in charge? And as for the Northern Hemisphere....I am well and truly stunned!!!

Ireland have a game in Budapest a few weeks later, but I assume it’s just a local team as SL sand NRL haritsge players will be playing for their clubs.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Was there ever any confirmation that this would have an opener?
I know people were speculating about USA vs ireland at one stage.

To be honest the organisers didn't even know if the main event was going to happen or not until this week so now that they have some clarity they should lock the USA side in - Canada would be great as an opponent but I'm happy with USA v any test nation

Coastbloke

Bench
Right, now we know it's on (although we should take into account it's rugby league and it's still 2 months away) who will be broadcasting it?

Nine I guess would be frontrunners and Fox doesn't care (given the RLWC blackout). Be good if Seven or Ten would make a grab for it..

Pommy

Coach
Right, now we know it's on (although we should take into account it's rugby league and it's still 2 months away) who will be broadcasting it?

Nine I guess would be frontrunners and Fox doesn't care (given the RLWC blackout). Be good if Seven or Ten would make a grab for it..

I hope 9 don’t get it. Remember how Gus complained and just put international league down the entire 4 nations series? This would be even worse as it doesn’t include Australia, they would just be wanking over origin.

yakstorm

First Grade
It's a new property so will mean that no one will hold the rights in Australia or England.

Not sure if the NZRL have an active deal with Sky currently or not. Anyway, opportunity for new players to pick up the match. Just hope that RFL don't hide it on their App again and that someone in Australia & the US pick it up.

Pommy

Coach
It's a new property so will mean that no one will hold the rights in Australia or England.

Not sure if the NZRL have an active deal with Sky currently or not. Anyway, opportunity for new players to pick up the match. Just hope that RFL don't hide it on their App again and that someone in Australia & the US pick it up.

You would imagine the promoter has the US lined up already.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Fox are allowed to bid for the world cup - it's just that 7 put a bid in for exclusive rights and won it. I think Fox will be a crucial part of the coverage of the NA world cup (provided that they are willing to bid enough) in Aus and the US.

roughyedspud

Coach

Yep

Springs09

Juniors
There is a European Cup...they are just figuring who's in it

What a waste. Could have been so much more than another NZ v Eng test series and a European Cup.

But I guess that's what happens when the big 3 think they are too good to play anyone else (or anyone at all) and the smaller nations are too lazy to organise anything. Almost can't blame the NRL clubs for self-interest when international teams seem to be just as self-interested.