What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZRL Financial State

You guys seem pretty knowledgeable about rugby league over the ditch, so can you tell me what the financial state of the NZRL is like?
From memory the Australian Rugby League pays the NZRL $3000 for every player that comes across to play in oz. We all know there has been a pretty sizeable influx of young kiwi talent into Australian NRL clubs, so has this reaped dividends for the NZRL?

Skinner

Coach
The Money Box Man said:
You guys seem pretty knowledgeable about rugby league over the ditch, so can you tell me what the financial state of the NZRL is like?
From memory the Australian Rugby League pays the NZRL $3000 for every player that comes across to play in oz. We all know there has been a pretty sizeable influx of young kiwi talent into Australian NRL clubs, so has this reaped dividends for the NZRL?

Whilst the NZRL actually collect the fee, they keep only 10% (Admin fee).
45% goes to the player's club and 45% goes to whichever District League
the player's club belongs to.

It is basically to recoup development costs incurred by both the club and the
District League.

No transfer fees are applicable until a player reaches a certain level which
I think is still NRL first grade - so it is certainly not a money spinner at all.

Cheers
Skinner

carlnz

Bench
Correct me if im wrong Skinner but NZRL does not have much money at all do they.

Maybe after the Tri Nations win and new sponsors they could have a bit more money thenmany people know?

Skinner

Coach
I'm not quite sure how they are financially at the moment. There will be money from the Tri Nations, either now, or to come.

They still seem to rely heavily on gaming funds though.

playdaball

Bench
The 'handout' from News / SL, negoiated by the late David Lange and Gerald Ryan, a few years ago certainly helped.

Latest posts