What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O.T. Anyone with a clue on the Leagues Club Development?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
We just have to keep investing wisely and building our asset base. Yes it is a slower burn but it is possible that one day the Club can fund most things it wants to do without having to beg to the Government.

I like the move to purchase that building in the mall and use it for admin, retail shop and more direct contact with the public.

Love the move to purchase the Golf Club. Not only for the revenue but for the potential for further development.

And don’t sleep on the new Leagues Club once it’s completed. With that amount of infrastructure around it. It should definitely be a great cash cow for the Club.

Just keep on using revenues to make strategic purchases and the potential for the future of this Club is enormous.
Enough of the optimism DS…. You know that shit isn’t allowed around here

Stake Removed

First Grade
If the ground does not become a boutique stadium

Is it not better to play out of another venue potentially where we just pay rent and sell the ground to developers and cash in

Chimp

Bench

Is it not better to play out of another venue potentially where we just pay rent and sell the ground to developers and cash in
Once you do that, you become nomadic, and there’s nothing to stop the NRL selling you down the expansion river.
I think it’s vital for the club to own its base, and for that to be deep in its territory- for both long term fan re-generation, stability and ‘stickability’. We should always be masters of our own destiny, if we don’t own a home, we’ll always be at the mercy of others.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Once you do that, you become nomadic, and there’s nothing to stop the NRL selling you down the expansion river.
I think it’s vital for the club to own its base, and for that to be deep in its territory- for both long term fan re-generation, stability and ‘stickability’. We should always be masters of our own destiny, if we don’t own a home, we’ll always be at the mercy of others.
Not to mention you take away the home of Flegg, SG Ball, Matthews Cup, NRLW and maybe in the future a stand alone Sharks reggies if we ever divorce Newtown. That's at least 4 more teams that become nomadic

Selling the ground off would be akin to giving the powerbrokers a reason to move the whole operation to Bullamakanka

Brick Tamland

Juniors
Shark park to have 17,500 - 18,000 capacity and leagues club to open may/june 2024 at best

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...-club-opening-averted-after-meetings/?cs=1507

Sharks Leagues Club at Woolooware opening target of mid-2024 achievable after hurdles cleared​

Murray Trembath

By Murray Trembath
Updated July 23 2023 - 11:56am, first published 11:00am
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmail
Copy

Sharks chief executive Dino Mezzatesta at PointsBet Stadium with the development in the background. Picture by Chris Lane

Sharks chief executive Dino Mezzatesta at PointsBet Stadium with the development in the background. Picture by Chris Lane
An impasse, which threatened to delay indefinitely the start of work on rebuilding the Sharks Leagues Club at Woolooware, appears to have been navigated.
The Sharks sold a large proportion of their property to allow for the $752 million Woolooware Bay Town Centre development, but retain ownership of the land on which the leagues club stands as well as PointsBet Stadium.

It is understood the push by the developer to have the Bay Central shopping centre opened by the end of this year impacted on the Sharks' ability to pursue their own building agenda.

Chief executive Dino Mezzatesta said, "We had to clear some obstacles, which were mainly about getting some kind of timeline around when we could get access to our site, so that we can commence the work to get the club completed".

"I'm pleased meetings over the last week have given us some confidence that, with everyone - including the developer and head contractor - working together, we will be able to get in there and get our work done.

"We are hoping to have the club completed around the May - June 2024 target date we set ourselves, which is great news for club members.
"That is still contingent on some things going in our favour, and there is still a bit of work to do with the developer and the head contractor.

Mr Mezzatesta said the result would be "a brand new facility, with great features including a fantastic bistro with a large outdoor deck overlooking Woolooware Bay.

"The club is well designed and will be state-of-the-art, with great functionality across the two floors," he said.
Mr Mezzatesta said the club's plans to improve stadium facilities were dependent on state government funding.
The previous government, in its dying days, backed away from a funding commitment and new Premier Chris Minns has said his government's priority will be health and education, not suburban stadiums.
"We still want to work with the current government," Mr Mezzatesta said.
"We are very supportive of their priorities, but we will still explore what we can do to unlock some funding, at least to improve the facilities.

"We have a team running out for the first time in the NRLW competition and we have had to bring in demountable change rooms, showers and toilets to cater for them.
"We need to be able to provide permanent facilities in the future."
Mr Mezzatesta said the capacity of the football stadium was expected to return to 17,500 to 18,000 from the 13,000 cap imposed during building work.
A new entrance from the north-eastern corner of the club into the football stadium will be considered, but is not in the present budget.

shadowboxer

First Grade
To be fair it’s not like this was the clubs fault.
Spot on.
I will say it from the western corner looking back at the hotel, it looks a lot better than expected. I’m not overly happy with the gold colour but you can see it taking shape.
Once finished, it will be good

Special K

Coach
Spot on.
I will say it from the western corner looking back at the hotel, it looks a lot better than expected. I’m not overly happy with the gold colour but you can see it taking shape.
Once finished, it will be good
I'm a few deep but is that the corner where the hotel is? Next to the leagues club? That huge brick wall they have to turn into some sort of a mural.

Also where the flying f**k would you put another 8k people on top of today? assuming the stadium capacity is currently 13k and 3k didn't turn up today in ticketed seats.... 5k extra standing? What?

shadowboxer

First Grade
I'm a few deep but is that the corner where the hotel is? Next to the leagues club? That huge brick wall they have to turn into some sort of a mural.

Also where the flying f**k would you put another 8k people on top of today? assuming the stadium capacity is currently 13k and 3k didn't turn up today in ticketed seats.... 5k extra standing? What?
Yes - the hotel looks terrible from the street but from the angle from the west with the sun shining, there is another section behind which sort of fills it out. It looks okay.
As far as the ground, it’s fugged.
We were waiting, hoping and expecting some form of govt to get to the party and re-stump the joint.
It ain’t happening any time soon. We are stuck unless an Arab or AI flog pitches in.

NononononononononoNO!

1. Full ground in botique stadium is better on TV ! Better to establish the tribal fanatical RUGBY league KULTCHA!
2. Cash in ? We is a cashless society these days. Druther have the dosh invested in the grounds ,in the shire ... or Gold! Anything else is just asking to be relocated .

Big games that draw more sure . But games in big empty stadiums look like Shite on tv,and do nothing to promote tourism and business in the area.

Last edited:

seems insane hey

Quicksilver

Bench

I just don't see why there was a need to reduce the capacity. Everything they did could have been done without f**king the ground.

Big Bloke

Juniors
I just want the parking to be better. I'm sick of walking to the ground all the way from the 70km speed camera on Captain Cook Drive. Surely there will be parking in the development or at least underground in some capacity. Have the dodos thought of this at all?