What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T - Is football REALLY the sleeping giant?

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:
The Socceroos are Australia's only truly national sporting side, in terms of representing broader Australia. The World Cup squad, for example, had players with diverse european backgrounds, from German to Croat and Italian...we had players with pacific islander background and players with so called dinki di Aussie backgrounds and guys with middle eastern backgrounds in the train on squad.. That is Australia.

I dont think there is another national sporting side as refelctive of multi cultural australian as the socceroos.

:roll: What about Richard Chee Quee? ;-)

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
The only problem I see at the moment is the a-league losing teams and having new ones come in. I've read somewhere that there are two already in extreme financial difficulty and the NZ side is under a perform or perish ultimatum - is this about right?

For a competition not quite two years old it isn't great....

Colonel, any start up side suffers from losses. I'd back the Gold Coast to suffer losses in it's first year.

There were some concerns about Perth....mainly because the old owner of the perth glory moved on. They're still around. Sydney FC had some losses...they've cut back on a few areas and just made half a million from Dwight Yorke's sale to Sunderland. New Zealand is another story. Probably shouldnt be in the comp.

What the Fox Sports TV deal means, is that the money the clubs receive from the FFA is almost equal to the salary cap....so as long as they keep admin expenses in check, most clubs should be OK.

Money will also trickle down to the clubs from the FFA's Asian Cup and World Cup income...and as I said, continental competition in the way of Asian Champions League will also prove to be quite lucrative.

A new league...starting teams from scratch...only natural some would cop some losses. The structure is in place, however, to ensure their long term viability.

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Maybe not right now, though if you look through the NRL in a few years we'll struggle to pronounce many of the names that come through into first grade.

There are plenty of players within the NRL now that have European heritage as well as islander heritage who will eventually play for Australia.

Maybe, but are the Kanagroos are truly national sporting side?

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:
The structure is in place, however, to ensure their long term viability.

Thank God for Rupert Murdoch. ;-)
Colonel, you may have questioned the financial validity of some of the A-League clubs, but you didn't address the concerns Fishy raised about the same predicament for several NRL clubs.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Colonel, any start up side suffers from losses. I'd back the Gold Coast to suffer losses in it's first year.

There were some concerns about Perth....mainly because the old owner of the perth glory moved on. They're still around. Sydney FC had some losses...they've cut back on a few areas and just made half a million from Dwight Yorke's sale to Sunderland. New Zealand is another story. Probably shouldnt be in the comp.

What the Fox Sports TV deal means, is that the money the clubs receive from the FFA is almost equal to the salary cap....so as long as they keep admin expenses in check, most clubs should be OK.

Money will also trickle down to the clubs from the FFA's Asian Cup and World Cup income...and as I said, continental competition in the way of Asian Champions League will also prove to be quite lucrative.

A new league...starting teams from scratch...only natural some would cop some losses. The structure is in place, however, to ensure their long term viability.

I'm aware its a new competition and it takes time but how long will they be happy to prop teams up? 2 years, 5 years?

Money will trickle down but how often can they put money into a club that is just going to lose it? The NRL have a a strong television base in both Nine and Foxsports - A-League starting from scratch would be hoping for a ratings sucess on FoxSports for them to continue the deal.

The loss of a team could be the loss of supporters - to me that is a problem all competitions face but in a fledgling compeition it isn't going to help.

I'm sure the Gold Coast will struggle at some stage next year financially and if it continues the NRL will also have to come to a point where enough is enough.

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
I'm aware its a new competition and it takes time but how long will they be happy to prop teams up? 2 years, 5 years?

Money will trickle down but how often can they put money into a club that is just going to lose it? The NRL have a a strong television base in both Nine and Foxsports - A-League starting from scratch would be hoping for a ratings sucess on FoxSports for them to continue the deal.

The loss of a team could be the loss of supporters - to me that is a problem all competitions face but in a fledgling compeition it isn't going to help.

I'm sure the Gold Coast will struggle at some stage next year financially and if it continues the NRL will also have to come to a point where enough is enough.

I think, from memory, the FFA anticipated clubs not making a profit until around year 5.

Giving them money from TV rights, from the Asian Cup, from Asian Champions League etc isnt really propping them up...it's sharing the wealth they generate...and it's the type of big, multi million dollar income that will never be available to the NRL.

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
I think, from memory, the FFA anticipated clubs not making a profit until around year 5.

Giving them money from TV rights, from the Asian Cup, from Asian Champions League etc isnt really propping them up...it's sharing the wealth they generate...and it's the type of big, multi million dollar income that will never be available to the NRL.

Fair enough. I don't pay that much interest to it to be honest. When I first read of it they were talking financial validity and seemingly pointing at moving teams on. That seemed to be the problem that faced the previous soccer competition and lead to its eventual downfall with new teams starting and finishing on a regular basis.

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Fair enough. I don't pay that much interest to it to be honest. When I first read of it they were talking financial validity. That seemed to be the problem that faced the previous soccer competition and lead to its eventual downfall.

If the money continues all well and good.....

The problem the old comp had was it had no income, no TV rights. We were tied to Oceania etc. The football world has changed.

The Asian Cup and World Cup, big dollar events that are on a regular cycle. Asian Champions League happens every year, two Australian clubs will be involved, the minor premiers and premiers...so there is income without a TV deal, which the NRL doesnt really have.

The NRL's advantage though, is a free to air TV deal, as well as a Pay tv deal. The FFA deliberatley linked exclusive A-League coverage to Socceroos coverage to boost income.

But as I said before, I don't see soccer as a threat to the NRL. It's apples and oranges.

Both codes have challenges to face...and if they fail there'll be another code there champing at the bit to pick up their slack.

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
Yeh, we can tell. :lol:

Suity

:sarcasm: So has it started yet?

I actually started taking some notice in EPL when I joined the Sportal comp. Great way to cure my insomnia.... ;-)

Suitman

Post Whore
We've had some interesting discussions Colonel on this matter. I'm just disappointed that you weren't at the Uraguay play-off last year. If you'd attended that, you'd be a true believer.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
We've had some interesting discussions Colonel on this matter. I'm just disappointed that you weren't at the Uraguay play-off last year. If you'd attended that, you'd be a true believer.

Suity

Meh, majority are bandwagoners who have never seen an A-League game in their life... ;-)

Maybe, more than likely not...... cricket keeps me busy enough in summer.

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:

Suity

Or the World Cup, particuarly the Croatian match.

The sheer joy and exhilaration experienced when Harry scored is something I'll never forget....nor the post match atmosphere...the comradery in the stadium among Australian fans....something truly amazing and an experience that I have never felt before...and would say unlikely to feel again...

Just on the weekend, I watched some video we took. My missus' videoed Craig Moore's penalty, we had a great view....watching it again almost turned me into sookyvation :lol:

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:
Or the World Cup, particuarly the Croatian match.

The sheer joy and exhilaration experienced when Harry scored is something I'll never forget....nor the post match atmosphere...the comradery in the stadium among Australian fans....something truly amazing and an experience that I have never felt before...and would say unlikely to feel again...

Just on the weekend, I watched some video we took. My missus' videoed Craig Moore's penalty, we had a great view....watching it again almost turned me into sookyvation :lol:

Mate, every time I watch Aloisis goal from November nearly turns me into Sookyvation as well.

Suity