What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Observations on Supporters

innsaneink

Referee
Hurriflatch said:
Manly fans skip out on bets

Just a personal experience was waiting in line for the gates to open before a Manly v Parra game at Brookie in 1998 the game where the Westpac Medivac landed on the field to take Nathan Cayless to hosptial.

anyway while waiting got to talking to a Manly fan and made a $50 bet with him on who will win.

Parra won the match by about 38-12 and I couldn't find him anywhere after the match

Hahaha...one born every minute.

Raider_69

Post Whore
agree with most of the above, particually:

- the granny - tiger correlation
- raiders jerseys in sydney, easily the most common/popular out of sydney team IMO
- the 13-17 demographic being owned by penrith

also add
- f**k all raiders fans in canberra in comparison to other teams home town, we often joke the canberra public buy all other 14 jerseys and just throw on which ever canberra are playing against
- newcastle fans are very passionate
- new zealand fans cant willing take the piss out of their own club for a laugh
- roosters fans are stubborn
- sharks fans are patient :lol:

sunny

Ironic you should say that Nick, I don't know what it's like now, but in the earlier days of the Tigers I would have your 1.) award to Wests Tigers fans. It's probably different now that the Tigers have won the premiership, but some of the moaning that used to go on at Wests Tigers games I went to was unbelievable, absolutely everything was the ref's fault, even basic stuff, like when a Tigers player dropped a ball cold and plainly knocked it on and the ref awarded a scrum feed to the other team, as per the rules, Tigers fans would start booing, not at the bloke that dropped the ball, but the ref! :lol: Although this probably happens with other teams too.

True about the Souths jersey thing too. It doesn't seem to matter whether Souths are playing or not, there's always someone at the ground in the green and white.

innsaneink

Referee
sunny said:
Ironic you should say that Nick, I don't know what it's like now, but in the earlier days of the Tigers I would have your 1.) award to Wests Tigers fans. It's probably different now that the Tigers have won the premiership, but some of the moaning that used to go on at Wests Tigers games I went to was unbelievable, absolutely everything was the ref's fault, even basic stuff, like when a Tigers player dropped a ball cold and plainly knocked it on and the ref awarded a scrum feed to the other team, as per the rules, Tigers fans would start booing, not at the bloke that dropped the ball, but the ref! :lol: Although this probably happens with other teams too.

True about the Souths jersey thing too. It doesn't seem to matter whether Souths are playing or not, there's always someone at the ground in the green and white.

](*,) Green n white of the Coogee Wombats?

mepelthwack

Juniors
(Many) Brisbane supporters :

*Think the Cowboys match is their local derby despite every Sydney based club being much closer.

*Think, if the QLD media says Seymour should be in the SOO rather than Prince it must be true (or any Broncos player over a NSW based QLDer)

*Think SL was great for Rugby League

*Think Bennett never has done, and never can do, no wrong

*Pretend to be Cowboys fans as soon as their team is bundled out of the semis

*At Suncorp games seem to lack the passion of NSW team supporters

miccle

Bench
^^ Nice, we should get along well. They are all problems I have had with fellow Broncos supporters over the years, but I don't know about the "pretending to be cowboys fans" thing.

I agree that might be true for some, but many of us also adopted the Cowboys as our second team from the moment they entered the comp because of the Queensland connection. I love the rivalry that has built up and fiercely hate the Cows when we are playing them, but as soon as we're out - I want them to beat every other team left.

Big-Steve

Juniors
Being a little reflective Bears fans were always the quietest. I remember a Norths official being asked by a reporter once "the crowd was a bit quiet today" to which the official replied "that means they're all ours doesn’t it".

Funnily enough if you go to a Bears match these days they're a hell of a lot more vocal.

simon says

First Grade
I think the tigers and souths fans are the best boo-ers in the comp.And thats why I think they have the best home ground advantage.....any slight knock on,forward pass etc and there are thousands right onto it booing there heads off.

I must say that I have also found Souths fans very good sports,the kind of guys you can verbally sparr with all game and shake hands with and have a beer after.

Hurriflatch

Referee
simon says said:
I think the tigers and souths fans are the best boo-ers in the comp.And thats why I think they have the best home ground advantage.....any slight knock on,forward pass etc and there are thousands right onto it booing there heads off.

Gota agree with that but also say that Parra come in 3rd and can even challenge for the booing title when they want to

effnic

Bench
parra_panther said:
Parra fans are EVERYWHERE.
You got that right half my mates are parra fans and there all on the northern beaches makes me sick really. They are not my mates when manly v parra is on i spit on them lol. We usually dont talk a week before and after the game.

effnic

Bench
um.............They ring bells.
um.............They are pretty loud for the 1,000 strong fan base.
um.............Yeh thats about it.
um.............Yeh im gonna get you to come in on saturday and im also gonna have to get you to come in on sunday um yeah so you go right ahead and come in on sunday.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Storm fans are actually very nice went down to Melbourne for the Eels game in 2004 and a couple of the Storm fans invited us over the the Storm post match drinks thing, tbh I'd have to say while my interaction with Storm fans has been limited they are close to the nicest rival fans I've personally met

innsaneink

Referee
Thank f**k Steve Bells gone to manly....now hopefully that genius at Olympic pk with the bell can shove her bell up her clacker.

Hurriflatch

Referee
innsaneink said:
Thank f**k Steve Bells gone to manly....now hopefully that genius at Olympic pk with the bell can shove her bell up her clacker.

:lol:
She must've been sick when Parra played there in 2004

Thank god

Raider_69

Post Whore
simon says said:
I must say that I have also found Souths fans very good sports,the kind of guys you can verbally sparr with all game and shake hands with and have a beer after.

agreed there, the army and burrow had some good banter at our rd23 match, after wards we all rejoiced and shook mans to a "we still hate the roosters" chant

Knightmare

Coach
I'm actually glad this thread has been brought up, I've observed quite a bit over the last 5 years or so about different teams' fans as well, like:

* Raiders fans seem to consist largely of males in their late teens-early 20's. Must have to do with growing up in the era of "the Green Machine" when Stuart, Daley, Belcher, Ferguson, Meninga, Clyde etc. were at their peak.

* Manly fans are particularly proud of their team

* There are alot more Penrith fans now than there were 4 or 5 years ago

* 5 years ago, I'd never met a Cowboys fan or even seen a person with a single item of Cowboys merchandise- now you can find North Queenslanders anywhere you look!

* A Cronulla fan over the age of 45 is a rare sight

* Newcastle fans seem to either be older people with families or youngsters like me. Ditto Souths fans.

* Despite the amount of Roosters fans on here who act like wankers, most of the ones you meet in real life are nice people.

* Most Bulldogs fans can take a joke and are good for a laugh as well.

* Newcastle fans will travel en masse to away games, yet don't seem to have an "army" as such, like the Bulldogs or Souths or the Dragons.

* Younger St George fans are like emo-kids- when you talk footy with them it seems most of the time they're either really angry or near suicidal.

* Tigers fans are rougher round the edges and more working class than even fans of "westie" teams like Parramatta or Penrith.

* Manly fans have a twisted love of people hating Manly.

* Knights fans are the most top-notch people on God's green earth ;-)

effnic

Bench
innsaneink said:
On the manly offical site some guy in the forums said maybe we should carry on the ringing of the bell now he is at manly and boy oh boy did he get a spray from all of us so you nothing to worry about there.