What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Observations on Supporters

sunny

Actually, I just remembered I have an uncle who's a Sharks fan, so scratch that bit about not knowing any Sharks fans.

brook

First Grade
oh and someone said Manly fans don't travel - that should be the don't travel to anywhere except Leichhardt. I don't know if its the ground or geography but you can normally count on a huge crowd of eagles fans for tigers v manly at the den.

sunny

Roosters fans are the most fun to kick around, insult, etc. Sharks are second in that category.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
I know a hell of a lot of warriors fans (well, I AM a Kiwi....), and the vast majority of them are really cool people. That changes once you walk into Ericsson Stadium in an opposition jersey. They become VERY hostile.

From the other teams supporters that I know here in NZ:

Bulldogs fans are very staunch and fiercely proud of their team for some reason.
Manly fans hang on to the glory days of the '90s
Roosters fans tend to bring up the 1975 GF a lot, though conveniently forget the number of times from the mid '90s onwards that they have been knocked out of the finals by the Dragons.
Brisbane fans expect to win the title every year, and have proven (out of the ones I have met, anyway) to be arrogant f**kheads.
Canberra fans are left over from the halcyon days of the '90s and are convinced they will become a superpower again any year now.
Parra fans are mouthy, at least while they're winning. Seemed to vanish after the 29-0 hiding. Are a good bunch from the lot I've met, though.
Tigers fans didn't seem to exist until the GF last year - now you see a lot of brand new Tigers strips around in Auckland.
The number of Cowboys fans seems to have multiplied exponentially in the last two seasons.
The few fellow Saints fans I know here cling to the past much like Roosters fans, but are a good bunch regardless (but I'm biased...)
Sharks fans are few, but nevertheless very vocal until reminded about the "39 years and won f--k all"...
The 2 Souths fans I know tend to rant about last years Charity Shield match as if it was a GF and tend to call me a loser....go figure. Very proud, though.

brook

First Grade
I normally like Manly fans a lot actually - they do have a tendancy to be oversensative to critisism of their team (I said earlier a lot of them take the whole most hated team in the comp thing to heart) but they're normally a lot of fun at the game and VERY proud of their team.

Godz Illa

Coach
Souths fans make a tremendous affogato.
Sharks fans have an innate talent for buying great Xmas presents.
Parra fans took 3 wickets at indoor cricket last night.
Dogs fans love the Hilltop Hoods.
Easts fans have names that end in either O or E.
Knights fans cant handle a drink.
Canberra fans speak very loudly.
Manly fans marry my cousin.
Saints fans are practically perfect in every way.

ng_1981

Juniors
Knights fans are the most passionate, bordering on obsessive are in my experience are the worst fans to be around if you're an out of town supporter, sitting on the hill amongst them and your team is winning...very scary.

Whenever I watch a Manly v Parra or Dragons v Parra match on TV they always seem to find a couple attending the match together in opposing jerseys

taxidriver

Coach
Roosters fans most likely to have switched to the Swans towards the end of 2005.

Bronco fans the most arrogant. The inferiority complex about living in Brisbane kicks in and the success of the footy team gives them something to cling on to.

Hurriflatch

Referee
ng_1981 said:
Knights fans are the most passionate, bordering on obsessive are in my experience are the worst fans to be around if you're an out of town supporter, sitting on the hill amongst them and your team is winning...very scary.

Whenever I watch a Manly v Parra or Dragons v Parra match on TV they always seem to find a couple attending the match together in opposing jerseys

There are actually a frightening number of Parra/Manly mixed familes

Watch the 2004 Parra v Manly game at Parramatta Stadium the cameras picked up ab out 20 different Parra/Manly couples or friends

sunny

Which club do you reckon has the fattest fans? I'd say Souths from what I've seen.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
-Most raiders fans have been fans since the glory days, so yeah a lot of us are past 20.

-Fans of ARL teams have a superiority complex.

-Broncos fans cannot be objective about their team or coach. By far the most biased fans in rugby league. Eels and manly are second.

brook

First Grade
Hurriflatch said:
There are actually a frightening number of Parra/Manly mixed familes

Watch the 2004 Parra v Manly game at Parramatta Stadium the cameras picked up ab out 20 different Parra/Manly couples or friends

I used to have a friend who's dad was (well still is) on the parra board.
She's a crazy Manly fan but for the sake of her father pretends to be a Parra fan - it was pretty funny watching her at the 97 grand final trying to explain away her manly jersey, manly coloured ribbons in her hair and manly flags to a group of her dads mates :p

aids

Bench
"super league sell-out scum"
:p

anyway, us tigers fans are on the pudgy side, but thats only becuase during the cold winter months we tend to huddle together in small groups due to the poor turn outs.
the fat keeps us warm, we are like penguins
hence the black white and orange
:)

that and the pies at can'town and the steak sandwiches ad l'cardt are good.

Knightmare

Coach
Bomber said:
Broncos fans expect to win the competition every single year.

So true. It's funny hearing them whinge because the Broncos haven't won a comp for more than 5 years- they should thank the Lord they don't support Souths or Cronulla!

dubby

Bench
Roosters fans i've met are usually 40's and good guys.

Dragons fans are easily excited
Eels are unbearable when they win
Tigers fans didn't exist until last year
Warriors fans are very thin in QLD
Broncos fans are laidback but expect to win
Cowboys fans are easily more passionate than Broncos fans, and wilder
Souths fans are fairly old
Sharks fans are usually young (alot of females too)
Panthers, ditto the chick thing
Manly fans enjoy the "us against the world thing"
Newcastle, most pride and passion
Melbourne fans probably the friendliest
Bulldogs fans are mainly muslim guys
Raiders fans are awesome ;-) , actually these guys are disullioned and expect the most from a crop of players that are nowhere near the level they are used to. And they talk up their youngsters before they are proven

Latest posts