What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obstruction Rule [Spoiler]

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Bill Harrigan and his fellow arse clown Stuart Raper need to be punted ASAP.

They (moreso Harrigan) have bastardised the obstruction rule beyond recognition.

I guarantee there will be a finals game decided by one of these garbage rulings. For Bill's sake he'd want to hope its not the Dogs that cop the decision or Dessy will go f*cking loco.

The BIGGEST blight on the game of league is the refs. That goes directly to Bill Harrigan. He. Is. Incompetent.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The problem is always going to be that this rule is always an interpretation of what happened and never going to be able to be black and white. Clubs are using dummy runners and passing behind the dummy runner more than ever so it has come much more into focus.

Used to be it was just a penalty for running around the back of your player. That was black and white, but what if that player doesn't impede anyone or what about passes that go behind the dummy runner that has taken a defender out? Did the defender move into the dummy runner or the dummy runner take the defender out? That is the one that requires a judgement call and like it or not it can only ever be a judgement call. Personally on this one I thought the defender took a step inside to tackle the dummy runner but can also see that the player ran around the back so which is the crime?

We don't live in a black and white world people, stop whinging and enjoy some great close games of footy, turn off the Ch9 sound and enjoy the game!

Dogs Of War

Coach
Here is the video of the try starting at the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEyH4OIH3hQ#t=3m18s

Here is the rule.

OBSTRUCTION –

a) It is the responsibility of the decoy runner/s not to interfere with the defending team.
- Morris did not interfere with Ashford. Ashford committed himself to the decoy runner. This happens every game.

b) The ball runner cannot run behind his own team and gain an advantage.
- There was no advantage as NO player was stopped from getting to the man with the ball. See a.

c) A sweep player may receive the ball on the inside of a block runner as long as there is depth on the pass to him. It there is no depth he needs to receive the ball on the outside of the block runner.
- N/A

d) Defensive decisions that commit defenders to decoy runners will not be considered obstruction.
- See point a.

e) Attacking players who loiter next to the play the ball can be interpreted as obstructing the defending team.
- N/A

f) In the process of scoring a try an attacking player dives through or into the legs of the player who has played the ball a penalty will be awarded to the defending team. This action will be interpreted as obstruction.
- N/A

g) If in the opinion of the referee/video referee the play had no effect on the scoring of the try the try will be awarded.
- TRY TIME! You also need to watch G. Ellis, he could have actually stopped this try, but he stopped shifting over, the lazy git!

EDIT: And for other reasons, I was looking at the captain's challenge per the following criteria
HOW THE NRL’S PROPOSED CAPTAIN’S CHALLENGE SYSTEM WILL WORK
* Each team will be permitted one incorrect challenge per half
* Areas of challenge are likely to be limited to:
- A loss of possession (knock-on or strip) that leads to a structured restart (scrum or penalty)
- A decision that led to the ball going into touch or touch in-goal
- Any decision involving try, no-try or point scoring decisions made by on-field officials that were not previously referred to the video-referee
- A mandatory penalty (such as a member of the team in possession being offside and restart infringements).

In this I found excluding all events that were referred to the video ref already (and we can assume they were challenged automatically).

12 min Pritchard was stripped of the ball in a 3 man tackle and it was ruled knock on. I would have challenged this given the field position and how the Dogs were playing at this point in the game.
29th min Jackson going for a try. The ball was knocked out and backwards by the Tigers. It was ruled knock on. Once again I would have challenged this.

Another note that if the rule was in effect, and lets say the Tigers challenged the two video ref decisions (which the ref called both times held up straight away), they would not have been able to challenge this play. It would have been interesting to see how the ref called this play if he had to make a decision their and then. I think this may have ended differently.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here is a pic of the obstruction, the defender clearly moves out of his defensive position to try and tackle the dummy runner. Hence why its a 50-50 call as the attacker did run around the back of the dummy runner.

7805124408_1697bcf8fc.jpg

Dogs Of War

Coach
Here is a pic of the obstruction, the defender clearly moves out of his defensive position to try and tackle the dummy runner. Hence why its a 50-50 call as the attacker did run around the back of the dummy runner.

Do you have video from that angle. A pic doesn't break down the play properly.

Billythekid

First Grade
Perth red that's not how the rule is supposed to work. He moved into the defender because by the rules of the game Pritchard shouldn't then be able to run around behind him. If that's not a shephard then i don't know what game we're playing.

:lol:!!!!!!

I can cop that the decision could've been wrong but FMD, affected the outcome?

Did it affect the outcome more than a 7-2 lopsided penalty count? Or TWO occasions where the referee MADE the decision of held up only to refer it upstairs after CHALLENGES from the CAPTAIN?

Last week when Reed had been pushed into the Bulldogs earning a penalty, the referee knew he was wrong but had blown the whistle and couldn't change the decision. Why then can Maxwell change his mind after blowing the whistle and calling held up?

(that's not to suggest the decisions ultimately reached weren't correct, but the method of getting there, big thumbs down).

Farahs try should have been awarded and 2 of the dogs tries should have been disallowed. Those decisions did affect the outcome of the match imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's from the highlights vid on NRL.com. 3min 35secs
http://www.nrl.com/Video/tabid/10959/Default.aspx

You can clearly see the Tigers centre is sliding stops and takes a step inside to tackle the runner coming through. Only point of possible penalty is the Dogs ball player then runs around the back of it all but strictly speaking it isn't obstruction as the Tigers defender tackles the dummy runner not the dummy runner taking out the defender.

Watching the highlights what it did show was how brilliant the other trys were from both sides and what a shame it is that there isn't 4 threads focussing on them rather than the fixation with the refs.

Garts

Bench
Just saw the footage, IMO it was worse than the origin decision. Obviously the $10k was money well spent.

Yeah, that was pretty geniused. lol

He made contact, the bloke ran behing him with the ball in hand, penalty. I've been watching it since the 1960's and it was an automatic penalty except for when Harrigan is in charge.

All the bullshit changes and allowing "interpretations" give refs an out which they shouldn't have.

Harrigan is the problem, go away you f**king arrogant ponce.

http://www.billharrigan.com.au/

duck_dodgers

Juniors
:lol:!!!!!!

I can cop that the decision could've been wrong but FMD, affected the outcome?

Did it affect the outcome more than a 7-2 lopsided penalty count? Or TWO occasions where the referee MADE the decision of held up only to refer it upstairs after CHALLENGES from the CAPTAIN?

Last week when Reed had been pushed into the Bulldogs earning a penalty, the referee knew he was wrong but had blown the whistle and couldn't change the decision. Why then can Maxwell change his mind after blowing the whistle and calling held up?

(that's not to suggest the decisions ultimately reached weren't correct, but the method of getting there, big thumbs down).

Maxwell made the incorrect call twice .

in the Farah try he arrived on the scene after the event and gave the impression that he had seen what happened . This
his gave the video ref an easy out if he wasnt a 100 % sure .

in the Woods try , Maxwell was in perfect position , 1 metre away from the ball , yet couldnt see it obviously touch the ground .

Wouldnt like to be relying on Maxwell as an eyewitness in a court case .

Billythekid

First Grade
It's from the highlights vid on NRL.com. 3min 35secs
http://www.nrl.com/Video/tabid/10959/Default.aspx

You can clearly see the Tigers centre is sliding stops and takes a step inside to tackle the runner coming through. Only point of possible penalty is the Dogs ball player then runs around the back of it all but strictly speaking it isn't obstruction as the Tigers defender tackles the dummy runner not the dummy runner taking out the defender.

Again that shouldn't matter. He shouldn't have to make that decision as you're not supposed to be able to run around another players back. It's so frustrating to me that any league fan would defend this decision.

Watching the highlights what it did show was how brilliant the other trys were from both sides and what a shame it is that there isn't 4 threads focussing on them rather than the fixation with the refs.

Because the refs now are having a bigger impact on the game than ever before. Every single game there are multiple decisions that are wrong and often times these involve giving a try or not. It's a shame that this is stopping people from discussing the great footy but if that's what is needed to get this sh*tty referring fixed than so be it.

He made contact, the bloke ran behing him with the ball in hand, penalty. I've been watching it since the 1960's and it was an automatic penalty except for when Harrigan is in charge.

100% this. Personally i question how much people know about RL if they can't see this.

dogslife

Coach
Robbie Farah has had a big influence on that team, rather than play to the whistle, stand there and wave your arms about, they all did it

Usain Bolt

Bench
Funny how some bulldogs fans defending this were the same ones blowing up about hodges try in origin 3 :lol::lol:

Geohood

Bench
I'd have no problem admitting it was a wrong call if my team benefited from it. Ridiculous rule. It obviously isn't an attack on the Bulldogs so you fans can settle down. It's the ridiculous ruling that you will never know what the decision might be from the refs in the future and how it will determine important games like it did tonight, but more so a finals game.

Springs

First Grade

7805124408_1697bcf8fc.jpg

That's exactly why it should have been a penalty. A defender cannot contend with a decoy runner if the attacker is just going to run around it.

And no advantage? Please, what crap is that? The shephard created a clear two on one situation. If there was no shephard, that situation would not have happened. How is that not an advantage?

Unsurprising to see Dogs supporters try and defend this idiotic decision, just like Queenslanders tried to defend the Hodges one.

no name

Referee
I know what play I'd be working on if I'm an NRL coach this weekend.
Just send a decoy through and run around behind him.
It's just like the Hodges one, Ayshford was in a position where he had to decide which of the two things Pritchard was going to do.
His choices should have been A) pass to the lead runner or
B) pass out the back.
The choice of Pritchard running wouldn't have crossed his mind because that is (was? who f**king knows now) a stock standard shepherd.

Iafeta

Referee
wasnt a bad defencive decison..... ayshford turned towards the legal decoy runner.... as soon as priychard ran behind that runner dogs got an advantage....
ayshford shouldnt have had to take into account illegal play in his "defencive decision" .....

100% correct. Appalling decision.