What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Of Course Origin still the ultimate?

Rebel

First Grade
Origin is the pinnacle but it shouldn't be.

The media and public should be way More interested in an Aus-nz or nz-eng or Aus-eng game.
Even samoan games look pretty good

Apey

Staff member
Lol whenever the Kiwis win or it's a close game the (usually kiwis) Origin haters come out of the woodwork.

Can't wait for the pinnacle of our game in a few weeks.

deluded pom?

Coach
Origin will always be the ultimate. Sucks for the Kiwis and the pom's but its just how it is. Me nor anyone else I know cares about the result of this game, just hoping no-one from my club gets injured due to this exhibition match.

Kiwi's won their origin game, now lets get ready for the real one.

:lol::lol::lol:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Origin will always be the ultimate. Sucks for the Kiwis and the pom's but its just how it is. Me nor anyone else I know cares about the result of this game, just hoping no-one from my club gets injured due to this exhibition match.

Kiwi's won their origin game, now lets get ready for the real one.

Unfortunately, SOO is more popular than international games (eg Tests and 4 Nations) when it shouldn't be.

It's like making FA Cup Final more popular than the World Cup when it shouldn't (and won't be).

Whoever marketed SOO as the ultimate contest in Australian Rugby League should be given a medal. But then again the concept was invented by a Queenslander and all Queenslanders consider it to be their own possession.

When you hear the Queensland chant of "eight peat" and other shit makes my grit my teeth. Especially when Malfunction Meninga was quoted as saying "Origin is dead" some years ago after NSW's three in a row and carried on like a pork chop with his "Rats and Filth" newspaper column.

A petulant little baby.

hutch

First Grade
Lol whenever the Kiwis win or it's a close game the (usually kiwis) Origin haters come out of the woodwork.

Can't wait for the pinnacle of our game in a few weeks.

But it's clearly not the pinnacle of our sport. I love origin and hope its success continues, but an interstate comp which doesn't include all of the sports best players is not the pinnacle.

pHyR3

Juniors
i reckon now that the blues have ended that drought interest from neutral will slowly wane and this could be a real resurgence of international RL since the kiwis can definitely beat any aussie side.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
Test matches should be the pinnacle of our game. Yes, SOO is ahead of tests but I would love to see a RL World Cup rival the Rugby equivilant one day.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Years of watching the Kangaroos thump the Kiwis in these games has dulled alot of the interest for the viewers. To be honest with you its great to see the Kiwis winning what is their pinnacle of rep football in our code. The Kangaroos have had more than enough time in the sun. Ray Warren said tonight we had won 93 of the 138 test games played, that doesn't make for a good contest to get excited about. "f**k yeah lets keep thumping these poor bastards till they throw it in"

The players feel it too and you can notice it from a viewers perspective. The Kiwis are way more hungry for it but anyone can see the Kangaroos treat this game as 2nd fiddle to origin in terms of passion and grit.

Why does International football need to be the pinnacle? SOO is the envy of every other code we have in Australia, what's so wrong with that?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
According to ray warren origin is the 34 best players in the world dont know where that leaves the likes of bromwich, matulino, taupau, vatuvei etc

You could clearly see tonight the lack of skill and work rate from the aussie forwards comlared to the kiwis. No way is origin the best 34 players in the world, they would be lucky to have 1 forwsrd in the top 10 forwards.

Maroon4life

Juniors
I'll just add also that I enjoy watching Union as well and the Bledisloe cup is a great competition that I look forward too each year. I don't think rugby league will ever get too that stage of international rivalry, but we don't need it.

Scubby

Juniors
I'll just add also that I enjoy watching Union as well and the Bledisloe cup is a great competition that I look forward too each year. I don't think rugby league will ever get too that stage of international rivalry, but we don't need it.

You do know that more people watched the Aus-NZ test matches last year than any of the Bledisloe games? Just imagine if the Australian public actually started to give a fig? Losing regularly creates excitement. Ask NSW.

deluded pom?

Coach

Not whilst people like you put your state above your nation. Australia have just lost three on the spin to NZ for the first time in something like 62 years and still you make excuses as to why you put Origin above internationals. Maybe Australia's strength is now it's weakness i.e. you don't revere international games as highly as you do Origin and then pay the price when Test matches come around.

Canard

Immortal
Whoever marketed SOO as the ultimate contest in Australian Rugby League should be given a medal. But then again the concept was invented by a Queenslander and all Queenslanders consider it to be their own possession.

When you hear the Queensland chant of "eight peat" and other shit makes my grit my teeth. Especially when Malfunction Meninga was quoted as saying "Origin is dead" some years ago after NSW's three in a row and carried on like a pork chop with his "Rats and Filth" newspaper column.

A petulant little baby.

Surely that's what Origin is? The pinnacle of the domestic rep competition?

As for the rest? What a bizarre Origin themed rant from someone who doesn't want Origin?? Your all busted up about basically some tabloid fish wrap

Scubby

Juniors
No-one is saying that they don't want Origin. It is a great competition/series. It is just not the pinnacle.

If you were naming 34 rep players from the NRL then maybe half of them would not be playing Origin this year. So when you then put together a combined Origin team (i.e. Australia) which then gets pumped x3 by non Origin players from the NRL you can understand why people go on about this insular view.

Fifteen years ago Origin was basically 30+ of the best NRL players in the country. This is not the case any more.

Canard

Immortal
No-one is saying that they don't want Origin. It is a great competition/series. It is just not the pinnacle.

If you were naming 34 rep players from the NRL then maybe half of them would not be playing Origin this year. So when you then put together a combined Origin team (i.e. Australia) which then gets pumped x3 by non Origin players from the NRL you can understand why people go on about this insular view.

Fifteen years ago Origin was basically 30+ of the best NRL players in the country. This is not the case any more.

It wasn't though. Steve Kearney, McCracken, Nikau etc were all world class.

It's not about the pinnacle and never has been.

Scubby

Juniors
It wasn't though. Steve Kearney, McCracken, Nikau etc were all world class.

It's not about the pinnacle and never has been.

McCracken had retired 15 years ago. The Kiwis had 3-4 world class players the NRL and the Aussies could genuinely pick 1 and 2 sides in the World back then.

There was only 1 Englishman in the NRL and very few Islanders of any quality. FFS Auckland Warriors had Gene Ngamu in the halves.

Canard

Immortal
McCracken had retired 15 years ago. The Kiwis had 3-4 world class players the NRL and the Aussies could genuinely pick 1 and 2 sides in the World back then.

There was only 1 Englishman in the NRL and very few Islanders of any quality. FFS Auckland Warriors had Gene Ngamu in the halves.

But Queensland had players like Russell Bawden, Martin Lang and Jason Hetherington.

Traditionally QLD Origin has been about absolute battlers playing above themselves in a tough contest.

Some QLD players haven't even been the best players at there club positions let alone pinnacle.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Surely that's what Origin is? The pinnacle of the domestic rep competition?

As for the rest? What a bizarre Origin themed rant from someone who doesn't want Origin?? Your all busted up about basically some tabloid fish wrap

Is there an interpreter in the room?

Scubby

Juniors
But Queensland had players like Russell Bawden, Martin Lang and Jason Hetherington.

Traditionally QLD Origin has been about absolute battlers playing above themselves in a tough contest.

Some QLD players haven't even been the best players at there club positions let alone pinnacle.

Allan Langer, Darren Lockyer, Wendall Sailor, Matt Rogers, Brad Thorn, Shane Webke, Ben Ikin, Adrian Lam, Steve Price, Jason Smith, Tonie Carroll, Darren Smith, Matt Sing were hardly battlers.

And Fittler, Johns, Barrett, Kimmorley, Girdler options for NSW halves was ridiculous at that time. The outside back options for Australia was amazing yet there was Jamie Lyon and Gasnier playing test football at 19 and 20 just a year later.

Latest posts