What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Contract Players

Sir Bob O

Juniors
Is there somewhere I can find what players are coming off contract or does anyone know who is? I wanted to know what 2nd rowers are coming off cause with the Beau Scott signing, the form of some of your younger guys like sims and an already stacked 2nd row I have a feeling someone is going to be let go. I initially thought Taia but is he still signed? what do you guys think?

rnb11

Juniors
Our backrowers off contract are Joel Edwards, Kyle O'Donnell, Zeb Taia, Mark Wade, Robbie Rochow, Chris Houston

The rest - Chris Adams, Sam Anderson, Danny Buderus, Richie Fa'aoso, Daine Laurie, Siuatonga Likiliki, Kevin Naiqama and Evarn Tuimavave

Can see O'Donnell and Taia leaving, the others are certainties to stay. As for the rest I think the only safe one is Faaoso and Bedsy if he decides to go one more year

Misanthrope

Staff member
Would most like to see us keep Edwards, O'Donnell, Houseton, Buderus, and a few of the young guys.

And really, if we're serious about building towards the future, the value of keeping Buderus if we're able to pick up King would need to be questioned. Love the guy, but he's hardly an investment in our future.

Johns Magic

Referee
Buderus said before the season that he feels if his form is up to it he is open to playing next year.

Haffa

Toohey in the Newy section of the Telegraph the sunday before last said Edwards was offered an extension before christmas but has sat on it. I can't imagine it'll stay on the table if he drags it out too long.

aqua_duck

Coach
I feel quite a few forwards will be shred, especially if guys like Sims, Tets, Vai Vai, etc are knocking on the door hard enough. McKinnon already looks like he'll be one of our starting backrowers for years to come. Hopefully we can snare King.

Johns Magic

Referee
McKinnon already looks like he'll be one of our starting backrowers for years to come.

I've been thinking that.

Scott and McKinnon in the backrow leaves one spot for Houston and Costigan. Will we see Costigan converted into a full-time prop?

Otherwise there may be some more interesting decisions to be made.

Sir Bob O

Juniors
Our backrowers off contract are Joel Edwards, Kyle O'Donnell, Zeb Taia, Mark Wade, Robbie Rochow, Chris Houston

The rest - Chris Adams, Sam Anderson, Danny Buderus, Richie Fa'aoso, Daine Laurie, Siuatonga Likiliki, Kevin Naiqama and Evarn Tuimavave

Can see O'Donnell and Taia leaving, the others are certainties to stay. As for the rest I think the only safe one is Faaoso and Bedsy if he decides to go one more year

I thought House was signed until 2013?

perverse

Referee
Zeb doesn't seem to have much go in him at the moment... which is a shame. I'd say he's on the outer. I'm gonna miss him if he is punted, but we're onto bigger and better things. Having watched him carry our forward pack through large chunks of seasons before his injury, I think it's unfortunate that he may not get to enjoy the good times, but it's hard to say if he's ever going to get back to his best at this stage. I at least hope he's given the opportunity to impress this year, but with so much competition for spots, it's not looking likely.

as far as who i think we'll definitely keep:

Buderus if he wants another year will be a definite, we'll scramble to keep Eddy - but he may get quite a bit of coin thrown at him, and Bennett won't pay overs on anymore forwards. Houston will be a priority, and i would say Fa'aoso will be right up there, too. in fact, he may get a very decent contract this go around. Bennett has also expressed that he's been impressed with Kev, so he might get another contract... but how long are we going to keep blokes like Kev and Pete (who could make a decent fist of a first grade spot at another club) when we have Aku and McManus set in stone - with good reason? either of those blokes would dead set stroll into a spot in the Sharks backline.

Last edited:
House is signed till the end of this year. I'd say he will be THE priority. I am hoping Wayne can coach him into an origin bench spot this year. Sign him for life. He should be our skipper IMO. A natural leader.

Silent Knight

First Grade
My top 3 priority list for retention:

1. Faas - you just know if he's going to keep up his devestating form he will be pulling on a Maroon (boo) jumper in the not too distant future. He brings so much to our squad off the bench. Many would argue he deserves a starting prop spot over Cuthbo.

2. Houston - a future captain for the Knights imo. He just keeps going from strength to strength. Could be a bolter for the Blues.

3. Edwards - my favourite player, but no Knights fan in their right mind could put him in front of what Houston and Faas bring to our team. Has the ability to lift the blokes around him with bone crunching defence but there are still question marks over his runs. Could be anything in the future but I wouldn't enter a bidding war to keep him. It's not like he's Aku and you can get backrowers for a dime a dozen. Could be replaced by a Korbin Sims or Ethan Cook and we wouldn't lose out much.

As for the rest:

Neutral (depends on performance): Zeb Taia, Mark Wade, Robbie Rochow, Sam Anderson, Danny Buderus.

Get rid of:

Kyle O'Donnell (hasn't met expectations, he's not going to be his brother, hands like feet)

Daine Laurie (I think he was signed as little more than a depth plug while our juniors get some mileage)

Siuatonga Likiliki (demonstrated he's a long way off FG standard after round 26 last year with his defence, never understood the hype, he'll probably be happier back in NZ with his mates at the Warriors)

Kevin Naqaima (for his own sake, he won't be anything more than depth at the Knights and can get a FG contract with one of the weaker teams, not sure if Wes would be happy about this, I did rate him though but he's just one of those players that get pushed out because there's class ahead of him)

Evarn Tuimavave (it's clear Bennett doesn't rate him, we've got younger, potentially better prospects for FG prop spots like Korbin Sims, also need to free up some cap space for Beau Scott & Jeff Lima)

Chris Adams (apparently was disappointing in his one trial this year, if we're after Cameron King we may as well say goodbye to Chris).

Clubs will be lining up for House. Don't be surprised if Dragons go all out for him. A local junior they should have kept and a good payback for what has gone on in their eyes. Losing House would be a disgrace. He loves this place but he is a top line forward now. Has it all.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I love the hits Edwards puts on, but I'm not sure it's wise him sitting on the deal. As much as I like the guy, he's not somebody who screams 'retain me at all costs'.

Yosh

Coach
I think House has shown immense mental strength to be playing a such a high standard after he had to spend a year off due to the drug thingy. He is definitely worth keeping. Used to score a good try before his year off and i'd love to see us work a good mullen shortball to a steaming house 5m out from the line (joey simmo style).

Sir Bob O

Juniors
I thought Houston signed for 3 years but it was for 2 years with an option for a further year. What does the option mean? Is it in his favour or the club?

Serc

First Grade
Zeb doesn't seem to have much go in him at the moment... which is a shame.

Only noticed this because he is in my fantasy team, but when he was finally let onto the field at around the 45 minute mark last weekend (actually just checked and he had 32 mins - so make that 48 mins), he racked up 11 runs, 2 offloads and 24 tackles (0 missed) in that period. That's the sort of numbers that a guy like Parker would rack up in such a short period. Bear in mind though this was because he had to play in the middle because of the injury to Nev. So I'd say he has a lot of go in him at the moment! I had similar worries after Round 1 when he did very little when playing in his usual spot on the fringes. This week should be pretty defining I think (especially if McKinnon starts ahead of him again + Taia not doing much when he actually gets on the field)

I didn't think he had this much work in him, even though he always racked up a fair amount of runs and tackles given the impact/class that he has.

Bennett has also expressed that he's been impressed with Kev, so he might get another contract... but how long are we going to keep blokes like Kev and Pete (who could make a decent fist of a first grade spot at another club) when we have Aku and McManus set in stone - with good reason? either of those blokes would dead set stroll into a spot in the Sharks backline.

Kev looked pretty good (especially in attack, doing the 'modern fullback' type stuff that Boyd is famous for) in the highlights package from last weekends game:

http://nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=multimedia&vid=430043

If a guy like Kev keeps polishing his all round footy game (not just the exciting stuff in attack) he could become another absolute weapon for us. I remember we used to say the same thing about Aku...and while Kev probably doesn't have quite the huge potential that Aku had/has, it's not too dissimilar a situation I think.

Last edited:
That's the trick with the NRL. Is it morally right to keep talents like Pete and Kev out of grade for the depths sake when a team like the Sharks has an average backline. I'd say yes and no. I think a player loan system is something they could consider. How it would work i have no idea.

Latest posts