What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Contract Players

Johns Magic

Referee
Kev looked pretty good (especially in attack, doing the 'modern fullback' type stuff that Boyd is famous for) in the highlights package from last weekends game:

http://nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=multimedia&vid=430043

If a guy like Kev keeps polishing his all round footy game (not just the exciting stuff in attack) he could become another absolute weapon for us. I remember we used to say the same thing about Aku...and while Kev probably doesn't have quite the huge potential that Aku had/has, it's not too dissimilar a situation I think.

Wow, he actually looked really slick as a playmaker in that video.

A far cry from his NYC days where he couldn't seem to catch.

If Boyd had been moved to 5/8 this week, I wonder whether Kev would have gone to fullback instead of Wes and kept Sau out of the team?

billy2

Juniors
Kev and Wes both started coming good about the same time, and it coincides with when they started playing a major role for Fiji.
Kev had hands like feet and couldn't catch a cold, and Wes wasn't a whole lot better.
Now they both have very safe hands and are both leaders on the field.
Kev was really unlucky to have Pete and Likiliki play firstgrade ahead of him last year because he has a much higher strike rate as a tryscorer than either of those guys and seems to be a more involved player in NSW cup.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Jeezus didn't the boys destroy the Jets out wide

Kev looked very slick at the back, as did Davies at halfback. Filipo was a beast too

Serc

First Grade
And while we're on Kev, here's the NYC video highlights of him back in 2009 (has been posted a few times in here for those that have seen it already), I really enjoy giving this one a run from time to time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiEfvZ3W--k

Call me Yosh if you like, but I do like to think sometimes that we have another Aku of sorts waiting in the wings.

Footin mouth

Juniors
Well here is a dark horse to consider for a contract next year - Mantellato first two games 34 points, if he stays fit he will be up there for the leading points scorer.

Wato

Juniors
And while we're on Kev, here's the NYC video highlights of him back in 2009 (has been posted a few times in here for those that have seen it already), I really enjoy giving this one a run from time to time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiEfvZ3W--k

Call me Yosh if you like, but I do like to think sometimes that we have another Aku of sorts waiting in the wings.

I think he plays a lot more like Jennings then Aku. Just the way he uses he feet and stops and starts.

Spot On

Coach
Only noticed this because he is in my fantasy team, but when he was finally let onto the field at around the 45 minute mark last weekend (actually just checked and he had 32 mins - so make that 48 mins), he racked up 11 runs, 2 offloads and 24 tackles (0 missed) in that period. That's the sort of numbers that a guy like Parker would rack up in such a short period. Bear in mind though this was because he had to play in the middle because of the injury to Nev. So I'd say he has a lot of go in him at the moment! I had similar worries after Round 1 when he did very little when playing in his usual spot on the fringes. This week should be pretty defining I think (especially if McKinnon starts ahead of him again + Taia not doing much when he actually gets on the field)

I didn't think he had this much work in him, even though he always racked up a fair amount of runs and tackles given the impact/class that he has.

I was impressed with him as well. Ripped in when he got a go last week. Will need to do that from the start v Broncs. Look forward to watching him play.

Seage

Juniors
Lot of debate about getting rid of Taia, what to do with Houston etc, I'm going to hang it out there, but I think thus far we have not got value for money from Nev. Good Player? Sure. Tough? No doubt. But he seems to be injured most weeks and imo has not consistently delivered performances which automatically rank him as a second row starter ahead of Houso, McKinnon, Scott, Taia.

billy2

Juniors
Lot of debate about getting rid of Taia, what to do with Houston etc, I'm going to hang it out there, but I think thus far we have not got value for money from Nev. Good Player? Sure. Tough? No doubt. But he seems to be injured most weeks and imo has not consistently delivered performances which automatically rank him as a second row starter ahead of Houso, McKinnon, Scott, Taia.
Wayne has sacked him twice. Third time will prove it i reckon.

perverse

Referee
Nev didn't really come here for much coin, so i'm guessing Bennett didn't go too far out of his way to keep him at the Dragons. i don't know what the circumstances were when he left Brisbane.

i do agree, it's less obvious what Nev brings to the team than any other player. i don't really see any of the toughness and mongrel, yet. he's been an obvious walk up start, when fit, on reputation alone, but i would like to see something more out of him for sure. with the competition for spots (and contracts) so fierce, it would be nice to see everyone pulling their weight.

edit again - nevermind, just remembered Costigans corked thigh.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
He was punted from the Broncos for off field indiscretions. Look if we can get 2009 Nev then he's worth every cent. The blokes got more big game experience then almost everyone else in our team outside Boyd.

Haffa

He was punted from the Broncos for off field indiscretions

He was driving around the corner to get a hamburger after a few beers. He probably would have been retained but Seymour had just been in trouble for head butting a women at a pub a few weeks earlier and they were looking to make a PR move.

Spot On

Coach

Can't argue with that.

billy2

Juniors
Because doing that against NYC kids is one thing, bringing it up to FG against seasoned defenders is another.
Kev actually has a better try scoring rate in reserve grade than he had in NYC.
He only really came good in his last 2 months of NYC and went on a try scoring spree, which he has basically continued in NSW cup, although most of his tries aren't that flashy anymore.
As i said earlier, guys like Pete and Likiliki average about a try every 2 or 3 games while Kev goes very close to a try a game and has done that for a couple of seasons.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Those NSW cup tries, are they long range ones with him stepping and fending players off at will like the ones in the vid or are they close in finishers with good lead up work by the centre inside of him?

Genuine question because I havnt seen much of his NSW cup form until this year thanks to the videos on the NSWRL website. If he has been scoring the same type of tries in NSW cup then he def deserves another go in FG if one of our wingers goes down or is on rep duty.

Latest posts