What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Eels Team Round 1

Source: Email from Damian Kelly to Blue and Gold Army members

1 Wade McKINNON

2 Luke BURT

3 Daniel WAGON

4 Timana TAHU

5 Eric GROTHE

6 John MORRIS

7 Tim SMITH

8 Paul STRINGER

9 Mark RIDDELL

10 Adam PEEK

11 Chad ROBINSON

12 Nathan CAYLESS ©

13 Glenn MORRISON

INTERCHANGE

14 PJ MARSH

15 Dean WIDDERS

16 Nathan HINDMARSH

17 Aaron CANNINGS

18 Matt PETERSEN

19 Henry PERENARA

Morenito

Juniors
Yeh just got that email too.
Best Part of the Lineup...

***16 Nathan HINDMARSH***

IMPACT off the bench

fish eel

Immortal
Hindy wont start off the bench.

Late change, Peek back the bench, Caylo front row, Hindmarsh starting?

The Colonel

Immortal
Peeky does a job. He's not out there to win a game for us but he can take the ball up and tackle. That is all we need really from our front rowers - go forward and that is something he generally does well.

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Hindy wont start off the bench.

Late change, Peek back the bench, Caylo front row, Hindmarsh starting?

Unlikely. I can only see Perenara coming in for Hindy if he doesn't play. The team won't change IMO....

Even though it is another 10 days before they run on to the field, a big congratulations to the boys who will run on for First Grade, particularly....

* PJ back into the big time after a lengthy absence. Other notable mentions to Guru Jr, Canno and Caylo.
* Tim-may for his first grade debut
* Henry, Piggy, Timana, Stringy and Morro for their first fixtures for the club
* Hindy for recuperating

PARRA **CLAP CLAP CLAP** PARRA **CLAP CLAP CLAP** PARRA **CLAP CLAP CLAP** PARRA **CLAP CLAP CLAP**

Eelementary

Post Whore
Peeky is not flash, but he makes metres and tackles and has a handy offload.

I personally would have preferred to see Cannings star. But what are you going to do?

Burt on the wing is a good choice. Although I have a feeling he would have played well at centre too.

My only concern is - Tahu and Grothe on the same side.

Sure, in attack, it's a monstruously dangerous combination. These two would tear any team's right hand-side defense to shreds.

But in defence...I am not sure how they'll cope.

Still, I think that second row is great, with Morro at lock.

Cannings and Widders off the bench for impact.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
IMO this is a very good team for an early round match with players like Cayless, Wagon, Peek, Stringer all very experienced so that will only benifit us.....but saying that, this team will never win us a premiership.....so im caught between to stones....on one hand i like it on the other i dont!
The sooner players like burt, wagon and peek :arrow: the sooner we will win us the big one!

Freak

Juniors
Peeky :clap:

Very under-estimated player. We don't lose anything with him and he deserves his chance in the front row. Like the Colonel suggested he isn't a match winner but he will give 110% and is very SAFE.

Looked huge last weekend too so must have worked damn hard in the off season!

The Colonel said:
Peeky does a job. He's not out there to win a game for us but he can take the ball up and tackle. That is all we need really from our front rowers - go forward and that is something he generally does well.

I hope he proves me wrong. Im not saying he is a bad player.

The Colonel

Immortal
Eelementary said:
My only concern is - Tahu and Grothe on the same side.

Sure, in attack, it's a monstruously dangerous combination. These two would tear any team's right hand-side defense to shreds.

But in defence...I am not sure how they'll cope.

Defensively, during the trials, the second rowers were used to "plug" the gaps. They'll have more than enough help down that side.... ;-)

AlexTheEel

Juniors
I like this team. The backline is pretty much what everyone expected and although I didnt expect Peek and Robo in the starting side, I did expect them both to be in the 17.

I think Hindy has been named on the bench just to see if he is fit to play by next Saturday. If he's passed fit I think he'll start for sure.

While i would have thought Cannings would get the nod to start I can see why Smith has put peek there. As many have already mentioned while he wont win us a game single handedly, he wont lose us won either. he is a no noncense player who wont let us down and allows Smith to inject Cannings into the game when a few oposition players may be a little fatigued.

By the way is there a reason why the team has been named so early?

AlexTheEel said:
I like this team. The backline is pretty much what everyone expected and although I didnt expect Peek and Robo in the starting side, I did expect them both to be in the 17.

I think Hindy has been named on the bench just to see if he is fit to play by next Saturday. If he's passed fit I think he'll start for sure.

While i would have thought Cannings would get the nod to start I can see why Smith has put peek there. As many have already mentioned while he wont win us a game single handedly, he wont lose us won either. he is a no noncense player who wont let us down and allows Smith to inject Cannings into the game when a few oposition players may be a little fatigued.

By the way is there a reason why the team has been named so early?

Maybe so the Players can start concentrating from now. No doubt Tim Smith will get some air time in the papers and so forth so maybe it better to get it out of the way now rather than closer to game time.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
its so smithy can chop and change so much, the tige will have NO idea ;-)

AlexTheEel

Juniors
Belly in Brisvegas said:
Wondered the same thing myself Alex about the early naming...usually it is the Tues prior to the game isn't it?

Yep and 2 of the players named have also been named in a Prems game for this weekend. Who knows if they'll even get through the match. Seems a little wierd.