What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Eels Team Round 1

True EEL said:
Colonel i'm not actually that shallow or fool hardy and have thought long and hard about it ;-) and i have looked - a lot ;-)

and there are the two schools of thought on the situation IMHO ;-)

(1) you put your good metre gainers and tackle busters (Stringer and Cannings) out there early and get off to a good start and then consolidate with your more steady players off the bench (Robinson and Peek)

or

(2) you start off with your steady, high percentage players first and then bring on your action jackson players off the bench to add impact

after much deliberation i have come to the conclusion that Parramatta should go with option number 1 this year as it is imperative we get off to a good start in games as there is often not a lot of point of bringing game breakers on from the bench if the game is already broken - in the other team's favour???

TE What about Option 3, a Game Breaker and a Soild Toiler in Both Areas

That way one of your forwards is always safe as houses (does the settler ruck) and your explosive forward is running off that play the ball or one wide. To Make the yards and break the tackles.

Surely this has been used by Many teams in the competition over the last few years and what looks to be happneing for our club.

20 Minute Mark, Hindmarsh and Cannings go on, Robinson Moves to the front row and you have got again the half and half option. With Rotation of Robinson, Cannings, Peek and Stringer.

I am also sure Robinson Signed here to be a Starter and not a Bench Player.

True EEL

Bench
MarkInTheStands said:
True EEL said:
Colonel i'm not actually that shallow or fool hardy and have thought long and hard about it ;-) and i have looked - a lot ;-)

and there are the two schools of thought on the situation IMHO ;-)

(1) you put your good metre gainers and tackle busters (Stringer and Cannings) out there early and get off to a good start and then consolidate with your more steady players off the bench (Robinson and Peek)

or

(2) you start off with your steady, high percentage players first and then bring on your action jackson players off the bench to add impact

after much deliberation i have come to the conclusion that Parramatta should go with option number 1 this year as it is imperative we get off to a good start in games as there is often not a lot of point of bringing game breakers on from the bench if the game is already broken - in the other team's favour???

TE What about Option 3, a Game Breaker and a Soild Toiler in Both Areas

That way one of your forwards is always safe as houses (does the settler ruck) and your explosive forward is running off that play the ball or one wide. To Make the yards and break the tackles.

Surely this has been used by Many teams in the competition over the last few years and what looks to be happneing for our club.

20 Minute Mark, Hindmarsh and Cannings go on, Robinson Moves to the front row and you have got again the half and half option. With Rotation of Robinson, Cannings, Peek and Stringer.

I am also sure Robinson Signed here to be a Starter and not a Bench Player.

suggestion duly noted, however as i said previously i think we have the classical half and half situation on the bench if we have PJ and Widders as your dynamic, game breakers and Peek and Robinson as your toilers

and anyway, you think Cannings signed with us just to play on the bench, when he could have been guaranteed a starting spot with Manly?????

Humm

Garenteed Starting Spot at Manly Vs Bench Spot at Parramatta

Vs

Bench Spot at The Roosters Vs Starting Spot at Parramatta.

True EEL

Bench
MarkInTheStands said:
Humm

Vs

well....i actually feel that Cannings was bought with more intention as a starting prop at Parra than Robinson was ever bought back as a starting prop or second rower at Parra, so your question is flawed ;-) lol

anyway, we will just have to see what happens, but damn i wish i were coach of the eels - we would never ever lose a game and no one would ever be displeased with team selections ;-) ;-) ;-) 8)

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
anyway, we will just have to see what happens, but damn i wish i were coach of the eels - we would never ever lose a game and no one would ever be displeased with team selections ;-) ;-) ;-) 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm already unhappy and your not coach yet.... :p

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
MarkInTheStands said:
Humm

Vs

well....i actually feel that Cannings was bought with more intention as a starting prop at Parra than Robinson was ever bought back as a starting prop or second rower at Parra, so your question is flawed ;-) lol

dare to dream boy! dare to dream. ;-)

True EEL said:
MarkInTheStands said:
Humm

Vs

Can I be your assistant please, I'll sack luke burts arse on the spot with your approval of course, Coach :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hurriflatch

Referee
No player not even Hindy should be gurenteed a damn thing.

If the player plays well enough to keep his starting spot in the side then good on him but if someone else comes through and outplays said player then the other player should get the spot.

PJ Marsh may well have come here to start
Morris may well have come here wanting to play hooker
Robinson could have thought he had a better chance of getting a starting spot at Parra
Cannings may well have wanted to come to a better club
Tahu may have been wanting to play centre since his career started but due to Flick Pass Boy he couldn't until Parra came knocking.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because these were the players intentions when they came doesn't mean that the likes of John Williams, Tim Smith etc should suffer in reggies when they are playing better then their counterparts in the main grade.

True EEL

Bench
Jake the snake said:
True EEL said:
MarkInTheStands said:
Humm

Vs

Can I be your assistant please, I'll sack luke burts arse on the spot with your approval of course, Coach :lol: :lol: :lol:

i suppose you can be my assistant Jake....well one of my many assistant coaches ;-) but in addition to sucking Luke Burt's ass, you will also have to agree to marry Aaron Cannings and adopt John Morris ;-) 8)

PB

Bench
True EEL said:
I can't agree with that either :)

Well Cayless had 12 months out also - he's in - class players get put back in and Cannings should have been or should be soon

and ok maybe this is reward for Peek - but reward for what??????? ok he played well for us in 2003 - but last year???? i thought he did very little, particularly in comparison with how he played in 2003

and as far as Cannings not having shown as much as Peek in their respective careers................... :roll: Please don't forget that Peek has only played his majority of first grade with us - through 2 seasons dominated by serious injury to many of our top line forwards - and he has been playing for much longer than Cannings

Peek only played last year because Cannings and Cayless were out????

i'm not a peek basher - just would prefer to see him on the bench - thats all

You cant compare Cannings and Cayless.

Cayless is the club captain, and an International, of course he walks back in.

Then Cannings, seriously, to date what has he done in his career? He has shown potential, and that was over 12 months ago. That is why the onus should be on him to earn a spot in the starting side, not just be given one.

i'm not a Cannings basher, i think he is a good signing, but so far that is all he is.

And with Peek. If Hindy was our best forward last year, and Stapelton probably next, Peek would have just about come in third

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:

If the player plays well enough to keep his starting spot in the side then good on him but if someone else comes through and outplays said player then the other player should get the spot.

Robinson could have thought he had a better chance of getting a starting spot at Parra
Tahu may have been wanting to play centre since his career started but due to Flick Pass Boy he couldn't until Parra came knocking.

Just because these were the players intentions when they came doesn't mean that the likes of John Williams, Tim Smith etc should suffer in reggies when they are playing better then their counterparts in the main grade.

geez! Hurri can you stop making sence?...it's confusing me #-o

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:

I was under the impression that a raw but young Cannings was brought to the club under the notion he was a good up and coming player with a huge future who would be groomed to eventually be our starting prop. Whereas Robinson was given an opportunity to gain a starting spot which he was unlikely to gain at the Roosters after coming off the bench for them in two Grand Finals.

Pazza

First Grade
My only problem with Peek is that he makes some real basic handling errors early in the set which really put us under pressure. Having Hindmarsh on the bench for a game wont hurt anyone, it will prolly benefit the side to have such a great forward making a impact when the game starts to open up. We need a really good young prop on the bench to some on. Someone like Cordoba or Tsoulos who can show the same kind of impact Ben Ross, Anthony Topou and Roy Asotasi had for their respective teams.

But over all it was the exact side i (and hanzy) were looking for apart from Robbo in 11 and Peek in the 10 but thats due to injuries to Vella and Hindmarsh.

yy_cheng

Coach
SO what I am hearing is that

Toilers: Peek, Robinson
Bashers: Stringer, Cannings

with Hindy, Morrison, Widders, Cayless supporting them in the back row.

Do we really need a toiler in the front row considering we have such a strong, safe and defensive orientated backrow? Not to mention throwing in Morris and Wagon as sound defensive players as well.

I'd rather of Bash and Barge in the front row rather having 2 toilers.

For mine:

13. Morro
12. Cayless
11. Robinson
10. Cannings/Tsoulous
9. Riddell
8. Stringer

Bench:

Peej
Hindy (coz of injury)
Widders
Cannings/Tsoulous/Fui-ey

I used to love watching Bugden, Leabeater and Peter Johnstone as our hard man.

Actually coming to think about...Jason Cayless is the man we need.

True EEL

Bench
Hurriflatch said:

i agree in principle Hurri - however certain players need the opportunity to prove their worth and play well i just believe Cannings is one of those players and was he or was he not the player or forward (at least) on the tips of most people's tongues with his trial form - isn't that supposed to count for something after all BS said it did this year more than ever??

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
True EEL said:

I was under the impression that a raw but young Cannings was brought to the club under the notion he was a good up and coming player with a huge future who would be groomed to eventually be our starting prop. Whereas Robinson was given an opportunity to gain a starting spot which he was unlikely to gain at the Roosters.

maybe you were under the wrong impression then Colonel ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
Pazza said:
My only problem with Peek is that he makes some real basic handling errors early in the set which really put us under pressure.

Which was also a problem for Cannings in the early part of last year and when he returned in Premmies....

True EEL

Bench
yy_cheng said:
SO what I am hearing is that

Toilers: Peek, Robinson
Bashers: Stringer, Cannings

with Hindy, Morrison, Widders, Cayless supporting them in the back row.

Do we really need a toiler in the front row considering we have such a strong, safe and defensive orientated backrow? Not to mention throwing in Morris and Wagon as sound defensive players as well.

I'd rather of Bash and Barge in the front row rather having 2 toilers.

For mine:

13. Morro
12. Cayless
11. Robinson
10. Cannings/Tsoulous
9. Riddell
8. Stringer

Bench:

Peej
Hindy (coz of injury)
Widders
Cannings/Tsoulous/Fui-ey

I used to love watching Bugden, Leabeater and Peter Johnstone as our hard man.

Actually coming to think about...Jason Cayless is the man we need.

yy cheng your picking up what i'm putting down man, good to see, we need a couple of "pigs" in the front row to do what good pigs do ;-)

and IMHO the best two pigs we have at the club right now would be Stringer and Cannings......however

you do also need toilers and effective, high percentage players like Peek and Robinson to complement both your pigs and your more accomplished upper level, all-round players such as Hindy, Caylo, Morro and "Piggy" (as opposed to "pigs") ;-)

so no it rarely works just having all bashers in your team and on the bench, you need a balance

ahhhh, Peter "The Hitman" Johnston....so many memories

and speaking of such bookends as Budgen and Leabeater - i am hoping that Cannings and Stringer could somwehat resemble or immitate even a fraction of their form and combination at Parra - we haven't had a couple of real bookends since them really??????

Vella and Cayless were close, but Caylo may have always been a bit more suited to second row perhaps and has niether have never had the neccesary all-round bulk

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
Pazza said:
My only problem with Peek is that he makes some real basic handling errors early in the set which really put us under pressure.

Which was also a problem for Cannings in the early part of last year and when he returned in Premmies....

maybe Round 1 - but who had a good game that night :roll:

Round 2 he was ripping it up Webcke and Civenocieva and Round 3 he was busting the Knights and pretty much after that he broke his arm

he didn't go back to premmies????

The Colonel

Immortal
The other thing that has been missed in all this - had Vella not been diagnosed with thyroid cancer - would Cannings have started ahead of him? :?: Regardless of who WE would have picked......

I think the idea has always been to have Cannings off the bench.....