What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Eels Team Round 1

AlexTheEel

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
AlexTheEel said:
I like this team. The backline is pretty much what everyone expected and although I didnt expect Peek and Robo in the starting side, I did expect them both to be in the 17.

I think Hindy has been named on the bench just to see if he is fit to play by next Saturday. If he's passed fit I think he'll start for sure.

While i would have thought Cannings would get the nod to start I can see why Smith has put peek there. As many have already mentioned while he wont win us a game single handedly, he wont lose us won either. he is a no noncense player who wont let us down and allows Smith to inject Cannings into the game when a few oposition players may be a little fatigued.

By the way is there a reason why the team has been named so early?

Maybe so the Players can start concentrating from now. No doubt Tim Smith will get some air time in the papers and so forth so maybe it better to get it out of the way now rather than closer to game time.

Good point.

Stagger eel

Staff member
it's not exactly theside I would choose but i'm still very happy with it, we have absolutely no excuses if we don't compete against the Tigers on Sat week. but then again they do own us, just ask them :roll:

I can't state how imperative it is for Parra 2 get off to good start. It will give players more condfidence. The tigers will not be easy to knock over espeically in the start of the season.

AlexTheEel said:
Belly in Brisvegas said:
Wondered the same thing myself Alex about the early naming...usually it is the Tues prior to the game isn't it?

Yep and 2 of the players named have also been named in a Prems game for this weekend. Who knows if they'll even get through the match. Seems a little wierd.

Smithy working his mojo I'd say!

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
Peeky does a job. He's not out there to win a game for us but he can take the ball up and tackle. That is all we need really from our front rowers - go forward and that is something he generally does well.

although Peek can often manage to do those things....Aaron Cannings has been robbed :x

Smith has now named Peek early in the year as a starter two years running much in the same manner as he did with Wagon at 5/8 in Round 1 games during 2000 and 2001?????

he does play favourites.....but i digress and i'll stop right now ;-)

if Hindmarsh plays (which by naming him on the benmch i suspect he will)i can see Peek dropping back to his rightful position of bench and either Robinson or Cayless going into the front row to make way for Hindy

Peterson (and maybe H. Perenara) looks like he might be the latest bench limbo man for this year being named and never getting a run???

other than all of this i think it is a good side, although lets hope Robinson isn't hurt this weekend after being named in two different teams at the same time - i know its for match fintness, but still kinda kooky??? :?

and at least Azza Cannings will rip them up from the bench - but we have to start games well and he and Stringer starting in the front row together - now that was a nice dream.............. :cry:

Jake the snake said:
I can't state how imperative it is for Parra 2 get off to good start. It will give players more condfidence. The tigers will not be easy to knock over espeically in the start of the season.

We'll smash those f**king clowns.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Belly in Brisvegas said:
Jake the snake said:

nah belly he's right (for once ;-) )

tigers may suck, but they start well, this will be a challenge

JessEel said:
Belly in Brisvegas said:
Jake the snake said:

Work with me Jess and repeat after me.....

"WE'LL SMASH THOSE F**KING CLOWNS"

I want you to walk up the halls of wherever you are at the moment chanting those words.....I am doing it myself at work!

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
and at least Azza Cannings will rip them up from the bench - but we have to start games well and he and Stringer starting in the front row together - now that was a nice dream.............. :cry:

Great dream but wouldn't it be better to have a follow up punch off the bench rather than throwing everything we have at them in the first twenty? Keep the ball rolling rather than slowing to a halt when your two better metre eaters go off - there is method to the madness - you just have to look. ;-)

Its the same deal we are allowed with Marsh and Riddell.

True EEL

Bench
JessEel said:
Belly in Brisvegas said:
Jake the snake said:

good call Jess :) but hopefully we can meet and greet the challenge and shun the Tigers and get a solid first round win :D

and Jess.....that Miss Hoover thing in your signature is the funniest thing i have seen in ages, great stuff and can we have more of it!!!!

maybe we should cal Brett Finch Ralph Finch from now on or just Ralph

All in all I can't say I am unhappy,

I am not going to pick the team apart before a ball has even been kicked, so all I can say is

CARN you EELS.

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
True EEL said:

Great dream but wouldn't it be better to have a follow up punch off the bench rather than throwing everything we have at them in the first twenty? Keep the ball rolling rather than slowing to a halt when your two better metre eaters go off - there is method to the madness - you just have to look. ;-)

Its the same deal we are allowed with Marsh and Riddell.

Colonel i'm not actually that shallow or fool hardy and have thought long and hard about it ;-) and i have looked - a lot ;-)

and there are the two schools of thought on the situation IMHO ;-)

(1) you put your good metre gainers and tackle busters (Stringer and Cannings) out there early and get off to a good start and then consolidate with your more steady players off the bench (Robinson and Peek)

or

(2) you start off with your steady, high percentage players first and then bring on your action jackson players off the bench to add impact

after much deliberation i have come to the conclusion that Parramatta should go with option number 1 this year as it is imperative we get off to a good start in games as there is often not a lot of point of bringing game breakers on from the bench if the game is already broken - in the other team's favour???

Why do you think Robinson didn't start at the Roosters? He was there steady, do everything right man off the bench to just get the job done after they had carved many teams up early on

and what if your star game breaker does not break the game after you have got off to a poor start where to then???

and furthermoer to my case - i think we have manouvered to already have enough firepower and game breaking ability off the bench as it is - we have PJ and Widders to come on and play those roles

i am not entirely knocking Peek, however, i don't see him as a long term solution at prop, when we have a hulking young thing like Cannings on the bench waiting in the wings - Peek is more of a classical bench guy to me come on and get the job done if we need stability and defence

but hey thats just me and my opinion ;-)

oh and ;-)

PB

Bench
True EEL said:
The Colonel said:
Peeky does a job. He's not out there to win a game for us but he can take the ball up and tackle. That is all we need really from our front rowers - go forward and that is something he generally does well.

although Peek can often manage to do those things....Aaron Cannings has been robbed :x

Smith has now named Peek early in the year as a starter two years running much in the same manner as he did with Wagon at 5/8 in Round 1 games during 2000 and 2001?????

I can't agree with that.

After effectively 12 months out of the game, Cannings has to proove himself. Infact while Cannings clearly has potential to be a representitive foraward at some stage, right now, the best stuff that Cannings has done in his career is not as good as what Peek has done.

Peek gets the reward and opportunity as far as i am concerned for his work and effort last year and for staying loyal. He deserves first crack.

Also great to See Burt out of the Centres.

True EEL

Bench
AlexTheEel said:
Exactly its better to have one front line prop with one bench prop at one time, then two bench props.

Alex at some point your bench has to be exactly that - your "reserve bench" if you have a front line prop you play him in the front line

doesn't every one always say "the forwards didn't lay a platform for the backs" and "forwards win you games" this is where you have to play your best players and get off to a good start

at some point you have to play your best players

anyway, i'm not arguing any more about it before we even see how they go as a team, i am simply just making a point that i am not overly keen on the apparent early planning - but hey thats just me and my opinion ;-)

True EEL

Bench
PB said:
True EEL said:
The Colonel said:

I can't agree with that.

After effectively 12 months out of the game, Cannings has to proove himself. Infact while Cannings clearly has potential to be a representitive foraward at some stage, right now, the best stuff that Cannings has done in his career is not as good as what Peek has done.

Peek gets the reward and opportunity as far as i am concerned for his work and effort last year and for staying loyal. He deserves first crack.

Also great to See Burt out of the Centres.

I can't agree with that either :)

Well Cayless had 12 months out also - he's in - class players get put back in and Cannings should have been or should be soon

and ok maybe this is reward for Peek - but reward for what??????? ok he played well for us in 2003 - but last year???? i thought he did very little, particularly in comparison with how he played in 2003

and as far as Cannings not having shown as much as Peek in their respective careers................... :roll: Please don't forget that Peek has only played his majority of first grade with us - through 2 seasons dominated by serious injury to many of our top line forwards - and he has been playing for much longer than Cannings

Peek only played last year because Cannings and Cayless were out????

i'm not a peek basher - just would prefer to see him on the bench - thats all

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
after much deliberation i have come to the conclusion that Parramatta should go with option number 1 this year as it is imperative we get off to a good start in games as there is often not a lot of point of bringing game breakers on from the bench if the game is already broken - in the other team's favour???

If we can't get off to a good start with Riddell, Stringer, Cayless, Morrison and Hindmarsh I doubt that starting Cannings is going to help too much.....

Quite seriously if we struggle in the opening 20 minutes of any game with that pack we had better start booking holidays in September.

Hurriflatch

Referee
The most surprising thing about that team is how early it was named.

That was more or less the side I was thinking would be named it is intreresting with the extended bench due to the positions of some of the players I have a feeling one or two players might be carring slight injuries also there is the possiblity (although I'm hoping it doesn't happen) that Robinson or someone else who plays in the reggies game at Cabra could get injured and the bench will cover that.

I doubt Hindy will start of the bench but how great is it to be able to name a strong pack yet still have the quality of Hindy warming the pine.

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
True EEL said:

If we can't get off to a good start with Riddell, Stringer, Cayless, Morrison and Hindmarsh I doubt that starting Cannings is going to help too much.....

Quite seriously if we struggle in the opening 20 minutes of any game with that pack we had better start booking holidays in September.

Well the benefit of starting with Cannings is simply that he makes yards - so yes i would start him because as good as those players you mentioned are - none of them except Stringer are bash and barge ball runners

and quite seriously if we struggle in the opeing 20 minutes with that pack or this team someone other than ourselves will have to be packing his bags ;-) once and for all ;-)

Latest posts