What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Eels Team Round 1

eely said:
Good team, just wish Wagon wasn't in the centres. Peterson & Burt were a great centre/wing combo last year, hopefully they get the chance to play alongside each other again.

Wagon can go to lock instead, Morrison to 2nd row and Robinson to the bench.

I think it's cruel they've named the team so early, we'll all be in a false sense of mind now that there is footy on this weekend, only to have to wait yet another week...

Great????

eely

Juniors
deary me people...

you'll see...

just you wait...

and I dont understand how you could call it a nightmare? - burt and peterson are superb players, i know theres a lot of peterson knockers out there, but ya gotta admit, he runs hard and is always a great finisher, one of our most consistent players last year in my opinion

eely said:
deary me people...

you'll see...

just you wait...

and I dont understand how you could call it a nightmare? - burt and peterson are superb players, i know theres a lot of peterson knockers out there, but ya gotta admit, he runs hard and is always a great finisher, one of our most consistent players last year in my opinion

We have been waiting a while for Burt infact we have been waiting for years.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I cant understand why people bag Burt based on his recent. He's had one bad year, yet all of the sudden he's Parramatta's most overated player.

If you go back to 1999, early 2000, 2001, 2002 he was superb, brilliant in attack and always a good finisher. Had some pace too and still does. He was injured in 2003, then came back in 2004 where he playing out of position, got injured. So basically that was his first full where he's been out of form.

Give the guy a chance.

If thats the case then why is Burt still at Parramatta after these years.

I suggest you watch every Parramatta game in the seasons I mentioned on tape.

lucablight

First Grade
I think we should be more concerned over Peek starting in the front row. No offence to him but I don't think he is the type of player to win us a premiership.

Suitman

Post Whore
PARRA_FAN said:
I cant understand why people bag Burt based on his recent. He's had one bad year, yet all of the sudden he's Parramatta's most overated player.

If you go back to 1999, early 2000, 2001, 2002 he was superb, brilliant in attack and always a good finisher. Had some pace too and still does. He was injured in 2003, then came back in 2004 where he playing out of position, got injured. So basically that was his first full where he's been out of form.

Give the guy a chance.

Burt has done nothing for years.....if ever........as for brilliant - your've got to be joking.

If thats the case then why is Burt still at Parramatta after these years.

Because no one else would waste their money on him.
Brian Smith talked him up since Day 1. Unfortunately, he has no more talent than Ross Conlon.......just a bit more speed.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
Hurriflatch said:
Burt also has a normal looking face unlike Conlon what was his nickname again Frog Eyes??

:lol:

Conlon was called many things.....and for good reason. :D

I'll never forget the fact that Eric Grothe was dropped from the Australian team (back when it meant something) because we needed a goal kicker.
Conlon replaced him. What a f***ing disgrace.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
I'm happy enough with the team, but couldn't get through 6 pages about it... stopped at page 3 in all the bench v starting debates. :roll:

Imo, there is very little difference between the bench and starting 13 the way the game is played these days. Bench guys can get as much as, sometimes more, game time than guys named in 1-13. All the starting side guys are guaranteed is to be out there during the first 10-15 minutes, then with tactics and the way games unfold anything could (and should) happen.

The way coaches use their benches can be a hidden secret to success - look at the strength on the Leeds Rhinos bench (compared to some of their starting side) - and that's the work of Brian's (now more successful) brother...

All in all it's a good looking team and as someone else said, I too expected Peek, Cannings, Robinson all to be in the 17, so no surprises. Perenara is just there to take Hindy's bench spot if Hindy is not ready. Petersen is just there for recognition that it's pretty even between him Guru and Burt as to who gets on the wings week-to-week.

C'mon Parra! Only 9 days to go!! :D

The Colonel

Immortal
Mar 03, 2005

Two hookers double Eels' impact

Parramatta Eels coach Brian Smith has named a 19-man squad for the round one match against the Wests Tigers at Telstra Stadium on March 12 and in doing has revealed his plans for the men at the centre of his ball distribution universe.
Off-season recruits Mark Riddell(St George Illawarra) and PJ Marsh(NZ Warriors) look set to play 'tag team' with the hooking role.

Riddell will start the match and no doubt be asked to call upon his power game, which proved to be an effective weapon at the Dragons, while the smaller and faster Marsh will come on when opposition legs begin to tire.

There was speculation when Marsh returned to the Eels after three seasons in New Zealand, cut short by a neck injury, he would slot into the number seven jersey.

But, unexpectedly to outsiders, up-and-comer Tim Smith has proved to be an able addition at halfback, allowing Smith to use Marsh as an impact player.

The first game of the season will also some of Parramatta's other recruits, Timana Tahu (Newcastle) and Glenn Morrison (North Queensland), in action.

Tahu, a winger with the Knights, will play in the centres at the Eels alongside Daniel Wagon.
http://www.ozleague.com/news_article.asp?id=49414

fish eel

Immortal
In defence of Luke Burt.

I think he is a great broken field runner and a decent finisher.

Also, he started to go OK in the centres last year in those games where our forwards got on top of their opposition (yes, there were a couple).

One that comes to mind in the match v Roosters, he scored a great try where he got on the outside of Ryan Cross....pushed him off and was away.

Having said that, he is more suited to the wing, and I think at this stage it's a week to week proposition between him and peterson.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Suitman said:
Burt has done nothing for years.....if ever........as for brilliant - your've got to be joking.

Go back to my previous post

PARRA_FAN said:

:roll:

Avenger

Immortal
I want to accept him, But I just cannot. Since his debut in 1999, Burt has not had a consistent year. There is something in his game that Smith has seen that I have not. I however can spot an obvious overrated player from a mile. Recent examples include, Vaealiki, Dykes, Graham and O'dwyer. Maybe honest players but not the kind that win premierships.

PS Nice avatar Colonel. I'm going to put copyright on my next one. ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
Avenger said:
PS Nice avatar Colonel. I'm going to put copyright on my next one. ;-)

:lol: Found this one the other day after my AC/DC one got take off its site. I'm looking for something different anyways.... :p

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Avenger said:
I however can spot an obvious overrated player from a mile. Recent examples include, Vaealiki, Dykes, Graham and O'dwyer. Maybe honest players but not the kind that win premierships.

Vaeliki was good at times, strong and hard runner of the football, probably more suited to fullback, but obviously couldnt play there in front of Hodgson. He made some crucial errors though.

Dykes was too injury prone. And every he played Smith would always think he was the kind of player who win games for us. Well not in

Graham, well I agree with you on this one.

O'Dwyer, for someone's who hardly played first grade cannot be called overated. Whats he done wrong anyway?

Maybe you'd all be convinced when Burt scores 28 points, scores 3 tries, oh no wait he's already done that.

True EEL

Bench
lucablight said:
Everybody always bagged Corey Pearson but statistically he was a much better player than Peek who with all due respect, has shown himself to be very medicore

Corey Pearson (season average hitups) : 12.4
Adam Peek (season average hitups): 9.3

Corey Pearson (season average metres gained): 91.8
Adam Peek (season average metres gained): 71.7

Pearson played in 13 matches whilst Peek played 15. Peek made 1076 metres total whilst Pearson made 1194.

It was a general consensus by Eels fans that Corey Pearson wasn't the best player so I'm a bit surprised how people have accepted Peek's inclusion in the starting side so readily.

Also I can't understand some people. If Vella was in the starting line up everybody would have been in an uproar. I find it very puzzling indeed how the same people bagging Vella don't mind Peek in the side. People are always complaining about Vella's form when statistically he is a better prop than Peek.

Adam Peek (season average hitups): 9.3
Michael Vella (season average hitups) : 12.1

Adam Peek (season average metres gained): 71.7
Michael Vella (season average metres gained): 96.6

Why do people complain about Vella and Pearson and accept Peek? I think there should be a degree of constistency in our approval of players. Going by the stats Peek should be out of the side when Vella returns unless he justifies his spot in the team.

Source: http://www.nrl.com/season2004/stats/playerstats.cfm

well done luca well done :D

and also backs up what i was saying and whoever it was yesterday that said that Peek was our third best forward last year after Hindy and Stapo (?) well i didn't react then cause i thought it wasn't worth it - but i will now i think that tells the tale - i mean even big Corey was better???????