What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Eels Team Round 1

Freak

Juniors
Burt deserves his chance in the side. At the end of the day we need a 2nd goal kicker to Riddell as he is not an 80 minute player. Besides that I expect Burt to have a really good season. significantly less pressure now on the wing and if he gets half a yard he will make some defences look pretty silly.

Burt's best games have been in 7's where he absolutely carved up!! If we get some of that form this year I will be a happy man!!!!

+ we have to remember the cancer is no longer with us!!! Dykes on Bikes (It's Mardi Gra Week :-s )

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
well done luca well done :D

and also backs up what i was saying and whoever it was yesterday that said that Peek was our third best forward last year after Hindy and Stapo (?) well i didn't react then cause i thought it wasn't worth it - but i will now i think that tells the tale - i mean even big Corey was better???????

But Peeky scored a try and made a line break so that makes him better. In the end the stats only tell half a story. Game time, the role the played etc play a big part too....

Pearson was at halfback for at least half those hitups i';M SURE.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
The Colonel said:
True EEL said:
well done luca well done :D

and also backs up what i was saying and whoever it was yesterday that said that Peek was our third best forward last year after Hindy and Stapo (?) well i didn't react then cause i thought it wasn't worth it - but i will now i think that tells the tale - i mean even big Corey was better???????

But Peeky scored a try and made a line break so that makes him better.

Also had one kick in general play. He should be halfback.

I'm a big Burt fan but have to admit his form last year was dissapointing. However he was groomed last year to be our fullback and was showing good form there until Wade got prmotoed. I think he will be good back on the wing. Give him a chance. he will come good.

bartman

Immortal
lucablight said:
It was a general consensus by Eels fans that Corey Pearson wasn't the best player so I'm a bit surprised how people have accepted Peek's inclusion in the starting side so readily.

Don't confuse accepting with expecting... Brian Smith chooses it, and some of us know what to expect.

It was clear to me from Brian Smith's trial selections that Adam Peek would be a definite for the starting 17 - whether last year's stats merit it or not. To me it's not a big deal once you're in the 17 what number you wear, becuase the way the game plays out (not selections 10 days before) are more likely to dictate how much game time you actually get.

For several years we seem to have leaked points or looked weaker before and after half time - times when you'd have traditional bench players taking over from your better rated forwards. By saving some impact for the bench (his brother's successful idea), and using it well (maybe for more minutes that some starting guys) we'd be stronger during periods where we've been weaker, and might end up with more wins than we're used to as a result? It's worth a try

So Peek in number 8? Doesn't bother me as long as he does his part of the job to the best of his ability, knowing we've got weapons like Cannings in the 17 that will be injected into the game. And in Round 2 when Hindy is ready to start the game, who will drop back to jersey 16? Yes, it will be Peek (until Tsoulos, Cordoba, Lewis etc put the performances on the board to claim that bench spot).

Freak

Juniors
Im with Colonel Stats only tell half the story.

Quality is the key!!

Less work at quality is always better than sub standard quantity.

True EEL

Bench
Colonel,

i never pretended to think that stats purely told the tale

i was just "convieniently" using those stats to back up what i said yesterday ;-)

Avenger

Immortal
PARRA_FAN said:
Avenger said:
I however can spot an obvious overrated player from a mile. Recent examples include, Vaealiki, Dykes, Graham and O'dwyer. Maybe honest players but not the kind that win premierships.

Vaeliki was good at times, strong and hard runner of the football, probably more suited to fullback, but obviously couldnt play there in front of Hodgson. He made some crucial errors though.

Dykes was too injury prone. And every he played Smith would always think he was the kind of player who win games for us. Well not in

Graham, well I agree with you on this one.

O'Dwyer, for someone's who hardly played first grade cannot be called overated. Whats he done wrong anyway?

Maybe you'd all be convinced when Burt scores 28 points, scores 3 tries, oh no wait he's already done that.

He is not a fullback. Just ask Kimmorely when he destroyed him in the preliminary final in 1999. Also he played fullback for NZ in 2003 and the Aussies ran around him like he was a cardboard cut out. Vaealiki is the most overrated we have EVER had. How he was ever chosen over Tonga is beyond me.

Parraren

Bench
Freak said:
Burt deserves his chance in the side. At the end of the day we need a 2nd goal kicker to Riddell as he is not an 80 minute player. Besides that I expect Burt to have a really good season. significantly less pressure now on the wing and if he gets half a yard he will make some defences look pretty silly.

Burt's best games have been in 7's where he absolutely carved up!! If we get some of that form this year I will be a happy man!!!!

+ we have to remember the cancer is no longer with us!!! Dykes on Bikes (It's Mardi Gra Week :-s )

Burt is a difficult one. He started really well last year at fullback but after Judas spat the dummy and left and then Vaealiki went down, Burt was moved to the centres and that's where it all went pear shaped.

Initially at right centre, his performances were nothing short of embarrassing. Poor defensive positioning and zero impact in attack. He was a pedestrian.

After he was dropped to prems he came back into first grade at left centre. He played alot better at left centre and built up a handy combination with Petersen. Not saying they were setting the world on fire but they were going OK and bagging some good tries.

From what I've seen not only last year but in previous seasons as well, both Burt & Petersen seem better suited to the left side of the field. This worries me a little because I think Burt & Petersen are both vying for the right wing position this year with Grothe already having the left wing spot well and truely wrapped up.

Hopefully Wagon's solid defense will cover for the defensive deficencies that Burt/Petersen have.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I find it intersting that Tahu and Grothe will apparently be playing on the same side against the Tiges while Wags and Burt will deputise the right side however during the trials the side that actuallystruggled defensivly was Grothes side where he had Wags inside him against Cronulla and Ash against the Roosters.

I thought Burt did quite well in the trials and has obviously been rewarded. Just remember Burt's no mug!!...you don't play 100 first grade games for the sake of it and he is a confidence player, si if he has a decent team behind him he will revel in the conditions.

I'm quietly confident he'll have a big year but at the same time he can be under all sorts of pressure from the likes of Reddy and Williams if he doesn't turn it on.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Avenger said:
PARRA_FAN said:
Avenger said:
I however can spot an obvious overrated player from a mile. Recent examples include, Vaealiki, Dykes, Graham and O'dwyer. Maybe honest players but not the kind that win premierships.

Vaeliki was good at times, strong and hard runner of the football, probably more suited to fullback, but obviously couldnt play there in front of Hodgson. He made some crucial errors though.

Dykes was too injury prone. And every he played Smith would always think he was the kind of player who win games for us. Well not in

Graham, well I agree with you on this one.

O'Dwyer, for someone's who hardly played first grade cannot be called overated. Whats he done wrong anyway?

Maybe you'd all be convinced when Burt scores 28 points, scores 3 tries, oh no wait he's already done that.

He is not a fullback. Just ask Kimmorely when he destroyed him in the preliminary final in 1999. Also he played fullback for NZ in 2003 and the Aussies ran around him like he was a cardboard cut out. Vaealiki is the most overrated we have EVER had. How he was ever chosen over Tonga is beyond me.

I dont recall Vaeliki playing fullback in that game because Schifscoske was the fullback. But I'd ask Jamie Lyon, who made him look terrible in that test match 2003. He wasnt the same player he was in 2001, he lost a bit of confidence. I think the only reason we kept him over Tonga, was cause Tonga had that one bad game againt Canberra, where Phil Graham kept running around him.

Then the next week, Vaeliki came back in the side and scored a try, so they kept him in the side after that, he didnt do much. I still wouldve preferred Tonga over Vaeliki all the way.

Now look whats happened. #-o

fish eel

Immortal
I dont recall Vaeliki playing fullback in that game because Schifscoske was the fullback

Vaealiki was at the back, at least for a good portion of that match. He was caught out badly on at least one occasion by a Kimmorley grubber which resulted in a try under the sticks.

yy_cheng

Coach
I was just thinking that Wagon is right centre and Widders camps himself out on the right hand side.

From memory, Widders gets a good amount of game time after he comes on and so our right defence and right attack would not suffer too greatly with Burt's defensive liabilities and Wag's attacking liabilities out there.

Cayless seems to hover 1/3 in from the right side and Hindy is usually in the middle of the park. From the trials, which side did Morro play? Right hand side?

AlexTheEel

Juniors
You'd think if Freshy was that terrible we wouldn't have to go back 6 years to talk about a bad game he had.

Avenger

Immortal
AlexTheEel said:
You'd think if Freshy was that terrible we wouldn't have to go back 6 years to talk about a bad game he had.

The last time Freshy played well was when he scored 4 tries in the season opener against Penrith in 2002. Since then his form has been average, at best. If he was that good do you really think that we would have let him go to play for Wigan whilst still under contract? Its funny how Saints did not let Gasnier go.

Eelementary

Post Whore
PB said:
True EEL said:
I can't agree with that either :)

Well Cayless had 12 months out also - he's in - class players get put back in and Cannings should have been or should be soon

and ok maybe this is reward for Peek - but reward for what??????? ok he played well for us in 2003 - but last year???? i thought he did very little, particularly in comparison with how he played in 2003

and as far as Cannings not having shown as much as Peek in their respective careers................... :roll: Please don't forget that Peek has only played his majority of first grade with us - through 2 seasons dominated by serious injury to many of our top line forwards - and he has been playing for much longer than Cannings

Peek only played last year because Cannings and Cayless were out????

i'm not a peek basher - just would prefer to see him on the bench - thats all

You cant compare Cannings and Cayless.

Cayless is the club captain, and an International, of course he walks back in.

Then Cannings, seriously, to date what has he done in his career? He has shown potential, and that was over 12 months ago. That is why the onus should be on him to earn a spot in the starting side, not just be given one.

i'm not a Cannings basher, i think he is a good signing, but so far that is all he is.

And with Peek. If Hindy was our best forward last year, and Stapelton probably next, Peek would have just about come in third

As far as Cannings goes, it is not about the class of the player or the reputation. It is about how good you are, and how effective you are.

And personally, I think the best way to beat the Tigers in Round 1 is to out-muslce and out-monster them in the forwards with tough, big, aggressive and yet mobile forwards, such as Cannings. Cayless is one of my absolute favourite players and an International star, but Cannings, less experienced, is the better man for the job.

And RE: Peek being our third best forward, I would like to put forward the name Lee Hopkins.

I thought Hopkins would have been ahead of Peek.

I have nothing against Peek - he is defnsively solid and has a great offload.

But I just don't think his attack is that great.

fish eel

Immortal
But where would Hopkins be played, if he was still here?

Couldnt see him in our side at all now.

Eelementary

Post Whore
On the subject of 'Basher props' V 'Toiler props'...

I believe that Penrith will start with both Ben Ross (now apparently a hulking 118kg) and Joel Clinton (110kg? thereabouts).

Both men are approximately 190cm tall.

Clearly they are 'Basher props'.

So why can we not use them?

In particular agianst the Tigers, with their smaller pack. I really think that Canningsand Stringer will shine.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Avenger said:
I want to accept him, But I just cannot. Since his debut in 1999, Burt has not had a consistent year. There is something in his game that Smith has seen that I have not. I however can spot an obvious overrated player from a mile. Recent examples include, Vaealiki, Dykes, Graham and O'dwyer. Maybe honest players but not the kind that win premierships.

PS Nice avatar Colonel. I'm going to put copyright on my next one. ;-)

Which team that has won the Grand Final in recent times has had a star-studded team?

The Bulldogs? Puhleeze! Patten, El Masri, Grimaldi, Perry - ordinary players, which occassionally have a good game.

The Panthers? Waterhouse, Swain, Wesser. Sure, they CAN play brilliantly. But I find more often than not they're ballsing up at crucial times.

Hardly superstar material.

With a good enough forward pack and a decent halves combination, average players will win you Premierships.