What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Eels Team Round 1

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
i agree with hindy on the bench for this game even if he is 100% fit........many players that are persumed 100% fit and come back to play get injuries in other areas due to different training and not using all body parts as they once did!

Coming off the bench gives smith the chance to bring him in when its not so physical giving many advantages like allowing hindy to play himself back into match fitness and playing a more attacking game ala SOO!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
What's the go with Petersen is he still injured or not enough game time.

Pretty good line up. I knew Hindmarsh was gonna start off the bench. Cant wait for the game.

BRING IT ON, :D

lucablight

First Grade
Everybody always bagged Corey Pearson but statistically he was a much better player than Peek who with all due respect, has shown himself to be very medicore

Corey Pearson (season average hitups) : 12.4
Adam Peek (season average hitups): 9.3

Corey Pearson (season average metres gained): 91.8
Adam Peek (season average metres gained): 71.7

Pearson played in 13 matches whilst Peek played 15. Peek made 1076 metres total whilst Pearson made 1194.

It was a general consensus by Eels fans that Corey Pearson wasn't the best player so I'm a bit surprised how people have accepted Peek's inclusion in the starting side so readily.

Also I can't understand some people. If Vella was in the starting line up everybody would have been in an uproar. I find it very puzzling indeed how the same people bagging Vella don't mind Peek in the side. People are always complaining about Vella's form when statistically he is a better prop than Peek.

Michael Vella (season average hitups) : 12.1

Michael Vella (season average metres gained): 96.6

Why do people complain about Vella and Pearson and accept Peek? I think there should be a degree of constistency in our approval of players. Going by the stats Peek should be out of the side when Vella returns unless he justifies his spot in the team.

Source: http://www.nrl.com/season2004/stats/playerstats.cfm

lucablight said:
Everybody always bagged Corey Pearson but statistically he was a much better player than Peek who with all due respect, has shown himself to be very medicore

Corey Pearson (season average hitups) : 12.4

Corey Pearson (season average metres gained): 91.8

Pearson played in 13 matches whilst Peek played 15. Peek made 1076 metres total whilst Pearson made 1194.

It was a general consensus by Eels fans that Corey Pearson wasn't the best player so I'm a bit surprised how people have accepted Peek's inclusion in the starting side so readily.

Also I can't understand some people. If Vella was in the starting line up everybody would have been in an uproar. I find it very puzzling indeed how the same people bagging Vella don't mind Peek in the side. People are always complaining about Vella's form when statistically he is a better prop than Peek.

Michael Vella (season average hitups) : 12.1

Michael Vella (season average metres gained): 96.6

Why do people complain about Vella and Pearson and accept Peek? I think there should be a degree of constistency in our approval of players. Going by the stats Peek should be out of the side when Vella returns unless he justifies his spot in the team.

Source: http://www.nrl.com/season2004/stats/playerstats.cfm

I Think this is the 1st time I will agree with you, Good research.

BD5733

Juniors
Dont forget......

Tackles

Adam Peek - 25.1
Michael Vella - 23.5
Corey Pearson - 21.7

Tackling %

Adam Peek - 93.8
Corey Pearson - 90.1
Michael Vella - 87.8

So Peek made more tackles and less missed tackles that the two players you had compared him to.

Attacking stats show Peek as the weaker player, defensively, he is stronger.

lucablight

First Grade
Dont forget......

Tackles

Adam Peek - 25.1
Michael Vella - 23.5
Corey Pearson - 21.7

Tackling %

Adam Peek - 93.8
Corey Pearson - 90.1
Michael Vella - 87.8

So Peek made more tackles and less missed tackles that the two players you had compared him to.

Ok sure. Peek may make more tackles and miss less. What you have to consider is the scale of each statistic. Sure Peek may make more tackles but I don't think a player making an extra 1-2 tackles per game is going to give as much value to a side as one who may not make those 1-2 tackles but makes the extra 25 metres.

Also consider Hindmarsh, Cayless and Morrison. With players the calibre of these guys is another guy who makes an extra 2 tackles going to be of any use?

In all honesty would you rather have your prop make the extra two tackles or the 25 metres? You have to consider which player would be more valuable to the side.

BD5733 said:
Dont forget......

Tackles

Adam Peek - 25.1
Michael Vella - 23.5
Corey Pearson - 21.7

Tackling %

Adam Peek - 93.8
Corey Pearson - 90.1
Michael Vella - 87.8

And good research to you too.

BD5733

Juniors
Well all the stats bar one cannot really be compared because of the time on the field each player got.

I'd guess Vella and Pearson got much more time than Peek as they started in 21 and 11 games respectively, Vella off the bech once, Pearson twice.

Whereas Peek only started twice and came off the bench 13 times.

So really the only one that could be compared is the tackling % stat. So its not a matter of would I prefer the 1-2 extra tackles a game the question should be do we want an extra 1-2 missed tackles a game.

But back to the initial idea of being able to criticise players consistently, I dont think we can or should.

The players like Hindy, Cayless, Vella, Morrison are EXPECTED to be our stars. They can outperform the players like Peek, Cannings etc yet still be judged harshly. These other players that we've been speaking about (Peek and Pearson) are not expected to be standouts, just do a solid job.

I also posted the defensive stats to show the whole story, not just the stats that work against Peek's favour like was initially shown.

yy_cheng

Coach
Yep, good research...

Supports my 3 PIGS + 1 Toiler + 1 Piggy for the Frontrow and Bench spots theory.

I want them to intimidate like Webke, Petero and Thorn !!!

lucablight

First Grade
Well all the stats bar one cannot really be compared because of the time on the field each player got.

I'd guess Vella and Pearson got much more time than Peek as they started in 21 and 11 games respectively, Vella off the bech once, Pearson twice.

Whereas Peek only started twice and came off the bench 13 times.

So really the only one that could be compared is the tackling % stat. So its not a matter of would I prefer the 1-2 extra tackles a game the question should be do we want an extra 1-2 missed tackles a game.

But back to the initial idea of being able to criticise players consistently, I dont think we can or should.

The players like Hindy, Cayless, Vella, Morrison are EXPECTED to be our stars. They can outperform the players like Peek, Cannings etc yet still be judged harshly. These other players that we've been speaking about (Peek and Pearson) are not expected to be standouts, just do a solid job.

I also posted the defensive stats to show the whole story, not just the stats that work against Peek's favour like was initially shown.

I realise what you're saying and I probably did seem biased but in all fairness an extra 2 tackles per game is negligible compared to an extra 25 metres per game.

By saying people such as Vella are expected to be our stars you are simply making them victims of their own past success. If Vella is not performing as well as he used to but is still performing better than someone such as Peek who we do not expect to be a superstar then he should be judged on CURRENT form and be compared to the other CURRENT props alone irrespective of reputation and past successes.

Put simply we should field the best 17 not the best 17 according to expectation.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
*If hindy is fit

8. Cannings
9. Riddell
10. Stringer
11. Hindmarsh
12. Cayless
13. Morrison

14. PJ
15. Robinson
16. Tsolous
17. Widders

///When Mateo is fit he would be somewhere in there

*Hindy on the bench

8. Cannings
9. Riddell
10. Stringer
11. Robinson
12. Cayless
13. Morrison

14. PJ
15. Hindmarsh
16. Tsolous
17. Widders

IMO i believe those foward packs are much more dangerous then that of Smith's...but then again i dont no where the players are at and there current form!

Prodigal Eel said:
*If hindy is fit

8. Cannings
9. Riddell
10. Stringer
11. Hindmarsh
12. Cayless
13. Morrison

14. PJ
15. Robinson
16. Tsolous
17. Widders

///When Mateo is fit he would be somewhere in there

*Hindy on the bench

8. Cannings
9. Riddell
10. Stringer
11. Robinson
12. Cayless
13. Morrison

14. PJ
15. Hindmarsh
16. Tsolous
17. Widders

IMO i believe those foward packs are much more dangerous then that of Smith's...but then again i dont no where the players are at and there current form!

I agree with all that you have said with both equations and more so about Feleti Mateo (once he comes back from Injury) instead of Widders off the bench. Feleti will offer us a Jym Dymock / Jason Smith kind of feel to our team.

8. Cannings
9. Riddell
10. Stringer
11. Hindmarsh
12. Cayless
13. Morrison

14. PJ
15. Robinson
16. Tsolous
17. Mateo

Utey

Coach
Pretty happy with that side. Peek will do the job well.

Cant really complain and we shouldnt look to much into it, still being over a week out from the game. Some different approaches used by coach Smith though. I think this is only because of the injuries to Hindy and Vella. Chad starting, Peek starting. I think both are much more effective off the bench. Henry Perenara has also impressed to get his spot.

Just see how we go ay. ;-)

Nikki

Coach
Just remember tho, there are two players from that bench to be omitted. As Hellchick mentioned in another post, we spoke to Nath last Friday and his opinion was Rnd 2 for his return. Dont be surprised if he is left out at the last minute, which I personally think will be the smartest thing to do. Lets see how well the kids do without the "Hindy" influence. Plus Nath now knows he is not to make his return any later than Rnd 2 or I will get the sh*ts. lol

eely

Juniors
Good team, just wish Wagon wasn't in the centres. Peterson & Burt were a great centre/wing combo last year, hopefully they get the chance to play alongside each other again.

Wagon can go to lock instead, Morrison to 2nd row and Robinson to the bench.

I think it's cruel they've named the team so early, we'll all be in a false sense of mind now that there is footy on this weekend, only to have to wait yet another week...

Latest posts