What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Merrin signs with Penrith

bottle

Coach
What did he actually do/say to get banned?

That remains a mystery as he was given no reason. Gone, for good. No feedback, no communication. First Red V member not welcome here.
As j said, it's like a dictatorship.
At least it's not the Spanish Inquisition.

giboz71

First Grade
Welcome to the world of corporate sport. Money talks - Loyalty walks.

Not good, not bad, just the facts of the matter.

It is sad that we have gone from a club that for years had the major part of the squad filled with locals to a club that is now no better than the Bulldogs or the Rorters. Sad days indeed. Thanks Dousty.

PS: Can someone in the NRL please tell the Bulldogs to correct their branding statement to reflect the truth.

Bulldogs - Born and Bred???..somewhere else! This is definitely a case for the Integrity Unit. This one I think they might be able to handle.

I still think a happy medium can be found.

Everyone talks about Bennett and the recruits he brought in for our premiership....Boyd, Smith, Weyman, Costigan, Fein, Saffy et al.

But would we have been successful without the core group of loyal juniors...Hornby, Young, Creagh, Morris, Nighty, Gaz, Coops who had been playing together for years, and were responsible for creating the culture and pride in the jersey? Would Hornby and Young leading the side have allowed the capitulation to Newcastle last year???

Souths last year...Sutton, Luke, Reynolds, Johnstone, Walker, all local boys who contributed just as much as the Burgess brothers.

I think the teams that gets the mix right will be the most successful. But pride in the jersey is still a valuable commodity and it's what we're missing currently by losing our juniors.

grouch

First Grade
I think the teams that gets the mix right will be the most successful. But pride in the jersey is still a valuable commodity and it's what we're missing currently by losing our juniors.

Agreed. It's about the culture and having something to play for and be passionate about. Many of us aren't sure what that is anymore.

ps thanks for bringing the thread back on topic

dino2170

Juniors
what happens to sally fitzgibbon will she become a penrith supporter. and will he travel 2 to 3 hrs to get bashed up every weekend or will he find a house in bustling penrith

Hills Dragon

Juniors
Sorry if this has already mentioned in the nine pages of this thread, but I just read on the NRL website that Merrin signed a $2 million deal for 3 years at Penrith, which amounts to $666,000 per year. Didn't the Dragons offer him $650K per year, or do I remember wrong? This would realistically indicate that he left the club for reasons other than money. Is this what our club has become, a place where players don't want to be?

tumbidragon

First Grade
all good bargaining chips you could remind him about before he signed elsewhere. funny that.

I'm sure Trent would of considered the above in his final decision regardless of whether the club used them as "bargaining chips" don't you think Craig? Funny that...

jenninga

First Grade
Sorry if this has already mentioned in the nine pages of this thread, but I just read on the NRL website that Merrin signed a $2 million deal for 3 years at Penrith, which amounts to $666,000 per year. Didn't the Dragons offer him $650K per year, or do I remember wrong? This would realistically indicate that he left the club for reasons other than money. Is this what our club has become, a place where players don't want to be?

Apparently $700k 1st year,$750k 2nd and 3rd year.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
I'm sure Trent would of considered the above in his final decision regardless of whether the club used them as "bargaining chips" don't you think Craig? Funny that...

clearly his key decision priorities weren't the same as the fans that cared....at that time.

getsmarty

Immortal
Merrin to play part off bench

By MITCH JENNINGS

March 5, 2015, 8:33 p.m.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has scoffed at suggestions Trent Merrin's demotion to the interchange bench for Monday night's season-opener has anything to do with the Origin star's decision to leave the club at the end of the season.
Merrin was on Tuesday named in the No 14 jumper for the clash with Melbourne, a day after informing teammates that he will join Penrith at season's end on a three-year $2 million deal. It meant his selection on the bench - where he started seven of his 21 games last year - raised some eyebrows but McGregor said it was purely about the team's overall game plan and not any form of retribution.
"It's got nothing do with anything but our interchange rotation," McGregor said.
"It's a 17-man game these days and the guys on bench will probably play a lot longer minutes than the guys who start. George [Rose] is obviously not going to play long minutes, so we'll put him out there to go as long as he possibly can, whether that's 10, 15 or 20 minutes, and then we'll put a player on there that can play long minutes.
"That's what Trent does, he brings good value to the group because he's a middle player that can play 60 minutes in a game and that frees up another interchange. We pick our best 17 available for the game we're playing and it was the right fit for Melbourne."
McGregor has named three other forwards on the bench alongside Merrin, with Rory O'Brien to debut and Jack de Belin and Mike Cooper also expected to be given long stints in the middle. It means hooker Mitch Rein will be called on to play the full 80 minutes after many expected him to share the role with veteran recruit Heath L'Estrange, who didn't make the 19-man cut.
"To start the year you need to rotate big men around quickly because it's the first game of the year and some will blow quicker than others," McGregor said.
"Mitch built into that 80 minutes against Warrington really well, so for the start of the year he's hardened and very fit. He's probably the fittest player in our team, so he'll handle the 80 minutes and that allows us to rotate our big guys around."
Merrin's announcement on Monday brought an end to several months of speculation regarding his future and McGregor said all parties were relieved the issue was resolved before round one.
"I think this stuff's gone on long enough, I'm sure he'd tell you that," he said.
"We made an attractive offer that wasn't quite attractive enough and he's decided to play somewhere else in 2016. At the end of the day it was a good offer but it wasn't good enough and Trent decided to move to Penrith and I respect his decision. The biggest thing for us now is that Trent's a valued part of our group and big part of our team in 2015. He can't wait, now it's all out of the way, to move forward and play this week."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2926339/merrin-to-play-part-off-bench/?cs=302

grouch

First Grade
Easily our best forward last night. Most metres, 46 tackles, 2 tackle breaks. He made ground regularly, often poked through the line, and seemed to get his arm free on most occasions. Zero support. No-one following him for the offload, everyone seemed to be sitting back waiting to run through the next lame, pedestrian attacking play.

Trent absolutely made the right decision.

Latest posts