What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Merrin signs with Penrith

Mr Red

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...745277&promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=MTE4NTM5NA

Penrith Panthers recruit Trent Merrin would have stayed at St George Illawarra if Dragons honoured handshake deal

Departing St George Illawarra forward Trent Merrin has been painted as "greedy" and "selfish" but admits he would have stayed at the club had they not reneged on a handshake agreement reached last year.
The 25-year-old has vowed to give his all in his final season at the club, but admits he was disappointed Dragons officials didn't make good on verbal assurances surrounding a contract for 2016 and beyond. "At the start everything was promises and handshakes, which I was happy with and was happy to stay," Merrin told Fairfax Media on Wednesday.
"But as the process went on, it unfolded in the wrong direction and things weren't as promised. At the end of the day I know the club isn't in the best [salary cap] position at the moment. That's no one's fault, it's just the position it has been left in. That's why there's no sourness or bitterness towards the club. I owe the club everything. That's the way I'll play this year and the way they'll be remembered in my heart."
Merrin was criticised before Christmas after knocking back an offer that was different from the orginal handshake agreement. At the time it was described as "the best offer the Dragons have ever made a forward".
The attack on his character that followed was difficult for him to deal with, however Merrin insists the decision to leave and sign a three-year deal with the Panthers wasn't motivated by money.
"I'm not going to sit here and lie and say it felt good being painted out to be the bad guy at the start, as it would when you hear someone is leaving the club," Merrin said. "That's why I'm doing this to tell everyone that it's not the way it was. Obviously it does hurt being called greedy and selfish and everything I was accused of being. The fans deserve to hear what I have to say. My final decision on my future was not based on money. Obviously money helps, I'm not going to lie about that, especially in the business we're in.
"We get bashed for a living, so money does help, but my final decision was based on my playing future and where I feel I can play my best footy. I based it on taking my game to the next level."
The Sharks and Warriors were also in the hunt for Merrin's signature, however the final decision was between the Panthers and Broncos after a late push from former coach Wayne Bennett to lure the Origin forward to Queensland.
"I did have chats with Wayne and bounce back and forth with him because I hold Wayne in such high regard," Merrin said. "I definitely did think about going to Brisbane, but I weighed up every option and I've made the best decision for my future. I love Wayne, he's given me the best feeling you can get in rugby league being part of a grand final-winning team and winning culture. That's the best feeling you can have to have that culture around you and that family feel. The way he gets a team going is incredible, that's why it was definitely on the cards. But when I told him I was going to sign with Penrith he just asked if I was happy. I said 'yes' and he said 'well you made the right decision then'."
Merrin was named on the bench for St George Illawarra's season-opener against the Melbourne Storm on Monday night, sparking speculation over his immediate future at the club. However Merrin hasn't been deterred by his selection on the bench and remains committed to finishing his time with the Dragons on a high, vowing not to kick stones.
"I honestly hope and think I'm on the bench because it's the style of play we want to head towards," Merrin said. "People might say there's some bitterness there, but I'm not buying into that. I play rugby league - that's my job and that's what I have to do. If it means coming off the bench, I'm going to be the best bench player there is in the game. I owe that to the club and I owe that to myself. I've put too much time and effort into myself to go out on the field and be a sook and carry on and blame people. That's not the person I am. I've been kicked in the face as a kid growing up my whole childhood, but I haven't wasted all that time to get myself into this position to throw it away. This is life. I know fans and people are going to be put off by it but there will be a time in people's lives where they have to make a decision for themselves, and that's what I've done."

grouch

First Grade
Another star player marginalised, demonised, and ultimately forced out by a bumbling incompetent administration. The club is being run so badly it sickens me. A sad state of affairs.

Ace-STi

Juniors
Merrin is earning more than Brett Morris, Dugan, Widdop, benji yet plays half The game time they do!

Everyone above are also game changers, I love merrin but that is crazy money for a forward! No doubt on more than both current burgess bros still at bunnies combined

love my saints

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...745277&promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=MTE4NTM5NA

Penrith Panthers recruit Trent Merrin would have stayed at St George Illawarra if Dragons honoured handshake deal

Departing St George Illawarra forward Trent Merrin has been painted as "greedy" and "selfish" but admits he would have stayed at the club had they not reneged on a handshake agreement reached last year.
The 25-year-old has vowed to give his all in his final season at the club, but admits he was disappointed Dragons officials didn't make good on verbal assurances surrounding a contract for 2016 and beyond. "At the start everything was promises and handshakes, which I was happy with and was happy to stay," Merrin told Fairfax Media on Wednesday.
"But as the process went on, it unfolded in the wrong direction and things weren't as promised. At the end of the day I know the club isn't in the best [salary cap] position at the moment. That's no one's fault, it's just the position it has been left in. That's why there's no sourness or bitterness towards the club. I owe the club everything. That's the way I'll play this year and the way they'll be remembered in my heart."
Merrin was criticised before Christmas after knocking back an offer that was different from the orginal handshake agreement. At the time it was described as "the best offer the Dragons have ever made a forward".
The attack on his character that followed was difficult for him to deal with, however Merrin insists the decision to leave and sign a three-year deal with the Panthers wasn't motivated by money.
"I'm not going to sit here and lie and say it felt good being painted out to be the bad guy at the start, as it would when you hear someone is leaving the club," Merrin said. "That's why I'm doing this to tell everyone that it's not the way it was. Obviously it does hurt being called greedy and selfish and everything I was accused of being. The fans deserve to hear what I have to say. My final decision on my future was not based on money. Obviously money helps, I'm not going to lie about that, especially in the business we're in.
"We get bashed for a living, so money does help, but my final decision was based on my playing future and where I feel I can play my best footy. I based it on taking my game to the next level."
The Sharks and Warriors were also in the hunt for Merrin's signature, however the final decision was between the Panthers and Broncos after a late push from former coach Wayne Bennett to lure the Origin forward to Queensland.
"I did have chats with Wayne and bounce back and forth with him because I hold Wayne in such high regard," Merrin said. "I definitely did think about going to Brisbane, but I weighed up every option and I've made the best decision for my future. I love Wayne, he's given me the best feeling you can get in rugby league being part of a grand final-winning team and winning culture. That's the best feeling you can have to have that culture around you and that family feel. The way he gets a team going is incredible, that's why it was definitely on the cards. But when I told him I was going to sign with Penrith he just asked if I was happy. I said 'yes' and he said 'well you made the right decision then'."
Merrin was named on the bench for St George Illawarra's season-opener against the Melbourne Storm on Monday night, sparking speculation over his immediate future at the club. However Merrin hasn't been deterred by his selection on the bench and remains committed to finishing his time with the Dragons on a high, vowing not to kick stones.
"I honestly hope and think I'm on the bench because it's the style of play we want to head towards," Merrin said. "People might say there's some bitterness there, but I'm not buying into that. I play rugby league - that's my job and that's what I have to do. If it means coming off the bench, I'm going to be the best bench player there is in the game. I owe that to the club and I owe that to myself. I've put too much time and effort into myself to go out on the field and be a sook and carry on and blame people. That's not the person I am. I've been kicked in the face as a kid growing up my whole childhood, but I haven't wasted all that time to get myself into this position to throw it away. This is life. I know fans and people are going to be put off by it but there will be a time in people's lives where they have to make a decision for themselves, and that's what I've done."

Funny how there is another article in rugby league week quoting merrin as saying it was the extra money and the chance to improve his game.
Extra money, and it has a quote directly from him, similar to his quote two weeks ago that "if the club came back with a better offer i would have stayed"... hmmmm so with more money his game would've also improved under mary???
The bloke left for the money, not begrudging him, but at the end of the day he went where the money is. Be all and end all. Money was the key factor.

Last edited:

Fingerbang

Bench
Another star player marginalised, demonised, and ultimately forced out by a bumbling incompetent administration. The club is being run so badly it sickens me. A sad state of affairs.
Can you not see why things like this happened? Our bumbling incompetent administration put us in a hole, and we need to make some sacrifices to attempt to climb out of that hole.

Think of your mental health, Grouch....I reckon you should f*ck off now, before our club sickens you more.

TonyT6

First Grade
Funny how there is another article in rugby league week quoting merrin as saying it was the extra money and the chance to improve his game.
Extra money, and it has a quote directly from him, similar to his quote two weeks ago that "if the club came back with a better offer i would have stayed"... hmmmm so with more money his game would've also improved under mary???
The bloke left for the money, not begrudging him, but at the end of the day he went where the money is. Be all and end all. Money was the key factor.

Agree 100%, money was a factor when he shook hands on a number and the contract was well less.I don't think any employee would accept that, just like B Moz didn't

love my saints

Juniors
Agree 100%, money was a factor when he shook hands on a number and the contract was well less.I don't think any employee would accept that, just like B Moz didn't

My information, from a well placed source within the club, is that the change was in regards to years... the handshake was for the same money, $600k per year over 5 years.
Then it dropped to 3 years but still $600k per year. The club would not budge on the duration.
The dollars were exactly the same, just 2 years less.
B.Moz was offered the same money he was currently on. He wanted a pay rise. He wasnt offered less, he was offered the exact same dollar amount, take that as fact, but he thought we should match what the bulldogs offer was.
You cant hold the club to ransom. The same way you want to be shown loyalty as a junior, you can show loyalty to the club for bringing you through.

Fingerbang

Bench
Many of you probably aren't aware that this bloke is a fan of some 55 years standing, and was the first Red V member.
Unfortunately you will no longer be granted the privilege of reading the posts of one of the most impassioned of fans. Not his choice. It's a f**king disgrace.
Wow.....certainly is a f*cking disgrace. All I ever seen him do was defend his much loved Dragons against the schick squad who do nothing but throw crap at our club and team, just so they have another excuse to go cut themselves again.

And the guy is in his 70's....how in hell could he be a threat to anyone in here.

Admin....swallow your pride and reinstate Karuah.

choppa071

Juniors
You got it.

What a joke!! Karuah6 has never been offensive to anyone, always up for discussion and one of the members that remained positive about his beloved Dragons. Would love a sticky post on why members get barred so the rest can learn on what is accepted or not.

If it is true that he has been barred over his last post then this place has a hidden agenda. I thought we were all here to chat about the team we support. We won't always agree on things as is human nature but I don't believe we should be banning fellow supporters for expressing their opinion in a non abusive, or aggressive way.

Would love an explanation!! Or maybe I might get banned for asking the question.

What was that book I studied....George Orwells Animal Farm?

BennyV

Referee
Not sure what you mean, but when a bloke gets a'holed for being a passionate supporter it's a bad thing.

Oh, I didnt realise he was barred. I thought you were being a smartass regarding the fact that he can come across as condescending regarding the length of his support tenure compared to others.

Shame. I dont often see eye to eye with him, but there are greater morons on here than he..

TruSaint

Referee
Wow.....certainly is a f*cking disgrace. All I ever seen him do was defend his much loved Dragons against the schick squad who do nothing but throw crap at our club and team, just so they have another excuse to go cut themselves again.

And the guy is in his 70's....how in hell could he be a threat to anyone in here.

Admin....swallow your pride and reinstate Karuah.

A very proud Dragons mans, who was around during our glory days. Passionate ? Yes. Positive? You better believe it. LOL. Who on here hasnt had a good to and fro with another member? Always posted with great emotion. If thats a sin, were all gone...

bottle

Coach
Oh, I didnt realise he was barred. I thought you were being a smartass regarding the fact that he can come across as condescending regarding the length of his support tenure compared to others.

Shame. I dont often see eye to eye with him, but there are greater morons on here than he..

Anything but having a shot at the man BV. Everything I posted about him was true. Someone needs to have look at themselves. He is someone we should be embracing, he is a reflection of the history of our club.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
The very first RED V member....EVER !
How do you think he feels. I do hope this action is reversed, I like the guy and what he stands for.
And so should all Dragons supporters.

hazzbeen

Bench
A very proud Dragons mans, who was around during our glory days. Passionate ? Yes. Positive? You better believe it. LOL. Who on here hasnt had a good to and fro with another member? Always posted with great emotion. If thats a sin, were all gone...

Well said Tru........

dragonreddy

Juniors
Anything but having a shot at the man BV. Everything I posted about him was true. Someone needs to have look at themselves. He is someone we should be embracing, he is a reflection of the history of our club.

Geez , i better watch myself then ,Karuah and I had some fair banter at times but certainly nothing that warranted anything even close to that sort of treatment.

Like Benny V said there are plenty worse than him.

TruSaint

Referee
Karuah6 > Merrin

JB, as always you have me in stitches.

Well said Tru........

Thx Hazz. Being a passionate man yourself, you "get it ".

Geez , i better watch myself then ,Karuah and I had some fair banter at times but certainly nothing that warranted anything even close to that sort of treatment.

Like Benny V said there are plenty worse than him.

Indeed. Fair banter. Otherwise what is this?

Latest posts