What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Merrin signs with Penrith

ek999

First Grade
My information, from a well placed source within the club, is that the change was in regards to years... the handshake was for the same money, $600k per year over 5 years.
Then it dropped to 3 years but still $600k per year. The club would not budge on the duration.
The dollars were exactly the same, just 2 years less.
B.Moz was offered the same money he was currently on. He wanted a pay rise. He wasnt offered less, he was offered the exact same dollar amount, take that as fact, but he thought we should match what the bulldogs offer was.
You cant hold the club to ransom. The same way you want to be shown loyalty as a junior, you can show loyalty to the club for bringing you through.

Would you stay at your job if you weren't getting a payrise for the next 3 or 4 years? I would be looking for a new job straight away if that happened to me

choppa071

Juniors
Would you stay at your job if you weren't getting a payrise for the next 3 or 4 years? I would be looking for a new job straight away if that happened to me

And still no answer from the ones that have the power to ban....a shame that. All of a sudden I am wary of which side of the debate I choose. This is crap. Feels like an NRL Souths cover up

bottle

Coach
And still no answer from the ones that have the power to ban....a shame that. All of a sudden I am wary of which side of the debate I choose. This is crap. Feels like an NRL Souths cover up

:lol:
It's like Richo/Greenberg all over again.

TruSaint

Referee
Newsflash Mez is goooone. More money / etc. He's gone.
Now Karuah hasnt asked for a pay rise, can we get him back in the starting line up FFS.

love my saints

Juniors

So would i. I dont hold anything against B.Moz. but i dont blame our club either. You cant justify $600k per year for a winger.
He got it, well done, both sides have moved on.

My guess is: Merrin left because he doesn't get along with Mary, believes they have a better chance of playing finals football and is being paid considerably more money.

Always appreciated Trent's efforts since entering first grade.

Not a player capable of lifting the red V to a win ala Langlands/Smith, Goodwin/Mundine/Johnston/Johnson/Blacklock, nor a forward who added real starch to the forward pack ala Stone/Starkey/Rasmussen/Wittenberg/Reddy/Jeremy Smith/Costigan etc

Played some very good matches during his 100 plus games for saints, but also many ordinary ones where he went missing.

Wish you all the best for the future Trent except when the red V tramples the chocolate soldiers.

ek999

First Grade
So would i. I dont hold anything against B.Moz. but i dont blame our club either. You cant justify $600k per year for a winger.
He got it, well done, both sides have moved on.

But by the Dragons offering him the same money for his next deal, they are actually telling him that his value is diminishing as his real income will be diminishing year on year due to inflation and increases in the salary cap.

If that's your clubs approach to players no wonder you are losing your stars. Even if you can't match another clubs offer, at least offer them more than what they are currently getting so you are still a chance of keeping them.

Unless management change their apporach, you are going to be nothing but a provider of star players to the other clubs.

Why do we need a fan from another club telling us what we already know as if any Dragons fan doesn't realise Doust doesn't have a clue what he is doing.

Whatever hand shake deal was discussed I would say both Mary and Mulholland knew they couldn't justify that sort of money for Merrin and he knew it he even said so himself the club has cap issue's.

The purge has well and truly happened Morris, Merrin, Beale, Stockwell, Quinlan, Harrison and Stanley thats a fair bit of salary cap gone.

I see even more pain ahead and if by some miracle Mulholland can fix the mess he will be an utter genius but I have serious doubts.

Dragon66

Juniors
Welcome to the world of corporate sport. Money talks - Loyalty walks.

Not good, not bad, just the facts of the matter.

It is sad that we have gone from a club that for years had the major part of the squad filled with locals to a club that is now no better than the Bulldogs or the Rorters. Sad days indeed. Thanks Dousty.

PS: Can someone in the NRL please tell the Bulldogs to correct their branding statement to reflect the truth.

Bulldogs - Born and Bred………..somewhere else! This is definitely a case for the Integrity Unit. This one I think they might be able to handle.

Last edited:

TonyT6

First Grade
Welcome to the world of corporate sport. Money talks - Loyalty walks.

Not good, not bad, just the facts of the matter.

It is sad that we have gone from a club that for years had the major part of the squad filled with locals to a club that is now no better than the Bulldogs or the Rorters. Sad days indeed. Thanks Dousty.

PS: Can someone in the NRL please tell the Bulldogs to correct their branding statement to reflect the truth.

Bulldogs - Born and Bred???..somewhere else! This is definitely a case for the Integrity Unit. This one I think they might be able to handle.

Local juniors has got us one gf in 16 years, I don't understand the fascination?

getsmarty

Immortal
Departing Dragon Trent Merrin to give all for fans

By MITCH JENNINGS

March 4, 2015, 9 p.m.

Departing forward Trent Merrin has promised to give Dragons fans no reason to doubt his commitment in what will now be his farewell season with the club.
Merrin confirmed the worst for Dragons fans on Monday when he announced that he will leave at season’s end to take up a three-year deal with the Panthers.
It comes just months after another South Coast son, Brett Morris, left the club to join the Bulldogs.
Unlike Morris, Merrin will see out the final year of his contract with the Dragons and has promised the Red V faithful to give his all in his final dig for his junior club.
‘‘There’s definitely going to be some angry fans but at the end of the day I had to put everything aside and make the decision based on myself and what was best for me,’’ Merrin said.
‘‘That’s why the process took so long because I wanted to make the right decision and at the end of the day I know I have but there’s no doubt that every time I put that [Dragons] jersey on I give 100 per cent. I’ve been doing that since I debuted and that’s not going to stop.
‘‘This year’s going to be very special for me because I want to finish up with a bang and get the club back where it should be.’’
The Panthers deal – worth a reported $2 million dollars – will make Merrin one of the highest paid forwards in the game next year.
It also means that his week-to-week performances for the Dragons will come under heavy scrutiny from the Red V faithful. Merrin accepts that comes with the hefty price tag.
‘‘It’s something you’ve got to cop that on the chin,’’ he said.
‘‘That why we’re in the position we are. It’s not all glitz and glamour and at the end of the day you will be confronted with some really hard decisions.
‘‘It’s part of the game and part of the business. At the end of the day the Dragons are a business and we tried our best to make both parties happy but it just wasn’t meant to be. We’ve moved on from that and we know there’s a bigger job ahead and that’s to get the boys back into the finals.’’
Merrin’s departure was realistically confirmed in December when he rejected the Dragons offer of a contract upgrade - described by manager Wayne Beavis as considerably lower than that originally promised - but it didn’t make informing teammates any easier.
‘‘The toughest part of it all was to face the boys and tell them I’d be joining a new club next year,’’ he said.
‘‘I got a bit jittery and the emotions took over. It was definitely the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do but it shows the calibre of people we have in the club that there was hugs and congratulations at the end of it.
Merrin laughed when asked how girlfriend - and noted Dragons tragic – Sally Fitzgibbons took the news.
‘‘She supports me 100 per cent no matter what but she’ll always be a Dragon deep down,’’ he said.
‘‘She’s talking about getting one of those split jerseys but she’s stoked for me she knows I’m happy.’’

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...gon-trent-merrin-to-give-all-for-fans/?cs=302

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2015/03/04/merrin_hardest_decis.html

Dragon66

Juniors
TonyT, It's not a fascination, just a reflection on the state of the game, that's all.

We breed them someone else buys them. As I said - not good, not bad, just the way it is.

That's why all the whinging when we lose a local junior annoys me.

bottle

Coach
Local juniors has got us one gf in 16 years, I don't understand the fascination?

35 years thanks.
It's exactly the same fascination as there is with local grounds and playing strip. It's about identity, about the tribal nature that underpins the sport. All of these things are what most of us grew up with, and they're hard to shake off despite the changes that modernity brings. Just as most rail against the concept of 'Right game blah blah' that separates us from our 'roots', or lament the wearing of a variety of commercially motivated playing strips, so most still see merit in having locals represent. All of these things are being whittled away, and some of the more successful clubs have all but given up on them altogether. It's a sad reality.

jenninga

First Grade
Welcome to North Korea.
Supposed to be the Red V,not the red army FFS.

Whoever banned Kharua,please reinstate him.Many of us have blown our top at times:x

Latest posts