What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFFICIAL New South Wales team, Game 3

Lambretta

First Grade
Well it seems the majority have the same idea about the strange choices.

Personally I agree with the logic of experienced half and inexperienced half as a pair. I acknowledge that because Barrett will have retired by next year that another 5/8th could have gotten valuable experience in a dead rubber, but I believe we should be trying to develop one at a time.

Pearce can learn a bit from Barrett and as he picks things up quickly it can be argued that he will learn more next to someone of experience than someone else who is as green as he is.

Anyway, that aside the wierdness seems to be around King, Gordon and Ennis.

I understand the Ennis selection, but he has been well under par this year and placing the sort of pressure Origin places on people I cant see it being the making of him. I would have preferred Farah from the start (actually I wouldnt have dropped him in the last series, I would have asked Tim Sheens what is needed for Farah to shine).

Farah is a different type of hooker and you need to let him lead and take charge to an extent. I would have had Pearce and say Campese or Sutton working around Farah and giving them time to work things out. There is a great scrumbase combination in the NSW ranks but they need to find it among the players we know to be the best, rather than changing the combinations every five minutes and hoping the answer presents itself. If that means consultancy places for the NRL coaches who know these boys the best, then so be it. But with hooker and half back new, I'd have had Barrett anyway.

Jennings played alot of football at right centre last season and I'd have asked him back there for NSW. With Lyon out, Jennings is the best player we have available at right centre. That means that the other Morris should be paired with his brother. Right wing is an issue, but Gordon is as good as any and a Jennings, Gordon combination would have at least had club connections.

My team would have been:-

Hayne
Morris
Morris
Jennings
Gordon
Barrett
Pearce
Snowden
Farah
King
Watmough
Bird
Gallen

Lewis
Leahroyd-Lars
Mannah
Gidley

I'm not sold on King and Weyman would have made it well ahead of him if he hadnt had a brain explosion.

Still, the team named is the best of the three so far. Pity I'll be in Victoria when it's on as there's f**k all chance of me getting to see it!

If height was everything Paul Hauff would have played for Australia... oh yeah that's right, I suppose height is everything.
I was only trying to point out the backs, otherwise i would have pointed out Dave Shillington and Dave Tailor who both stand at 6'5, and Steve Price at 6'4. But there are players bigger than them in the NRL like Dane Tilse and Daine Laurie.

mxlegend99

Referee
Idris is about 6'5, however he is 115 kgs!!!! which is like 12 kgs heavier than Folau or Inglis.
Inglis is around the 110kg mark.

Greg Inglis bulks up

• Russell Gould
  • February 18, 2010 12:00AM

923499-greg-inglis.jpg

Bigger body: Greg Inglis during a training session at Anglesea Beach. Picture: Colleen Petch Source: Herald Sun

GREG Inglis arrived at Melbourne Storm in 2005 as a talented teen with an 86kg body that suggested he was ready to play with the big boys.

Five years later, 23-year-old Inglis is a giant of the game. He returned to pre-season training last month weighing 112kg and will play this season at 110kg.
But forget talk the superstar centre is overweight. He is exactly where the coaching staff want him to be.
Inglis set tongues wagging when he bulked up to 106kg for the start of last season and the league shuddered when he sent St George Illawarra five-eighth Jamie Soward skyward with a one-arm fend in Round 1.
He looked unstoppable.
But his form, and the team's, wavered, leading to whispers he was too heavy. Contrary to that opinion, Inglis, and Storm, got better as he got bigger.
After scoring only four tries to Round 13, Inglis finished the season with 16, including four in the finals as he grew to 110kg. He then dominated the Four Nations tournament at his new playing weight.

Storm strength and conditioning coach Alex Corvo travelled with the Kangaroos and had no issue with Inglis's conditioning then or now.
Corvo said Inglis had lost none of his speed or agility despite his size and is convinced he will be as imposing as ever this season.
"During the Four Nations it wasn't just the speed and power through his fend-off but also in tight situations his footwork was as quick and balanced as ever," Corvo said.
"Everything else he could do was there for everyone to see, but doing those little things showed the weight wasn't having an impact.
"A bit of the weight has gone on around his glutes, his rump, and that's where so much power comes from. I wouldn't be unhappy if he even got a little bigger, but he won't."
Inglis is battling a hip complaint but told the Herald Sun that was a result of wear and tear, not because of his size.
Inglis said he was happy with his physical condition.
"I was weighing 110kg all the way through the season last year. I came back at 112kg and now I'm getting back to my playing weight," he said. "I feel comfortable and everyone is happy.

Never have I seen a rep team with so many WTF? selections.

King? Mannah? Gordon? Barrett?..as captain? Scott? Ennis? Snowden? BIRD!!!???!??? WTF?

This can't be the real NSW side can it?

Mr Saab

Referee
WTF is beau scott doing in the team again? Didnt they learn from game 2? He is an average player IMO and offers nothing in attack and he is not going to shut down Inglis. The only player i have seen shut him down was Berrigan in the 2006 GF and he still ran for over 200m. Beau Scott will never play origin again after this.

RHCP

Bench
Looks like they're setting up for Bird to take over as number 6 next year.

Bobby DIGital said:
King? Mannah? Gordon? Barrett?..as captain? Scott? Ennis? Snowden? BIRD!!!???!??? WTF?

At least we can all take comfort in the fact Barrett, King, Gordon, Ennis and Scott won't be there for the next series.

natheel

Coach
I was with ya until you dropped Lewis for Heighington LMAO

I wasn't with him to start with kid ur going to pick hayne it's at fullback and why drop Pearce he is obviously nsw future half put carney in gidleys utility spot ffs

And on a side note why the f**k would they put Lewis at 11 and watmough at 13??? Geez and any centre over Scott will do for mine

natheel

Coach

Mannah and snowden are rightfully there to take their chance!
Hope they both turn into our solid fronteow for a few years to come with Douglas on the bench

Look at qld they pick players in lowly team eg thurston Scott tonga etc and they ALL put in for them that's what mannah and snowy will do I think

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Bobby - what are your issues with Bird and Snowden and to a lesser extent Mannah?

Springs

First Grade
My issue with Bird is that he has been in average form at best playing at five-eighth for the Titans, yet because he is 'tough' (dirty) he gets the number 13 in front of Lewis, Gallen, Hindmarsh and Watmough.
If he is to take over the no.6 next year then put him there now! Stuff Barrett! Bird has won two man of the match Origin awards at five-eighth so he is obviously the best player ever. Lewis would be a far better option for a ball-playing 13, with hard-workers like Hindmarsh and Gallen, our two best in game 2, in the 11 or 12. Bird can play 6 or 14 instead of Gidley.

And Scott will be no.14 for the Dragons in two weeks time, but is somehow our best centre.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
As a Queensland fan I look forward to Bird's errors and I am also concerned about his ball handling that cause line breaks. Bird will make mistakes but he will also trouble defensive lines. He brings something to the table that NSW need.

Bobby - what are your issues with Bird and Snowden and to a lesser extent Mannah?

Bird - sh*t form all year. Always been overrated anyway.

Snowden & Mannah - nobodies. I guess NSW are running low on props though.

How are they going to stand up to the might of Petero & the worlds greatest prop Shillington? They will get creamed.

QLD by 70-80.

RHCP

Bench

How are they going to stand up to the might of Petero & the worlds greatest prop Shillington? They will get creamed.

QLD by 70-80.
Have you been watching any games? Snowden & Mannah have been in brilliant form this year.

ANTiLAG

First Grade

QLD by 70-80.

Are you a raiders fan per chance?