What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFFICIAL RELEASE: Kearney becomes Eels coach

Eels Dude

Coach
Also I hope the club signed him to a 2 year contract with a 1 year option in their favour. We can't have situations occuring where coaches are being payed out 300k every year if the board don't want to honour contracts. That's 4000 non ticketed memberships worth of cash they're throwing away and kind of eliminates the point of the club advertising and selling memberships if they're just going to waste it on payouts.

Shane Flanagan was one of the most experienced assistant coaches in the business but I won't be expecting him to turn the Sharks around next year.
to be fair though he wont have to do much at the sharks to make an improvement if they finished as high as 12th there would be a party

are there any guarentees in life???

Apparently we wouldn't improve if DA was the coach next year. That many told me was guarenteed. :?

I will say this, DA, Brian Smith, Wayne Bennett. All coached there way up the ranks successfully and went on to coach in the NRL and do wonders with teams.

Kearney went straight from being a player to being an assistant coach at the Storm.

I acknowledge he won a world cup, but only with Wayne Bennett as assistant coach. Afterward his side failed to make the final for the 4 Nations last year.

Stagger is right there are no guarantees with life. That is why we gamble, but for mine, this is looking like an all or nothing play on something that isn't exactly short odds.

Eels Dude

Coach
Stagger is right there are no guarantees with life. That is why we gamble, but for mine, this is looking like an all or nothing play on something that isn't exactly short odds.

Agreed. I'll support the club and coach, but i'm not going to jump for joy or get excited about Kearney's signing because at the end of the day we've still sacked a proven coach for a rookie. Guess we'll wait to see if can cut the mustard or not, hopefully it's not a long 3 years.

Agreed. I'll support the club and coach, but i'm not going to jump for joy or get excited about Kearney's signing because at the end of the day we've still sacked a proven coach for a rookie. Guess we'll wait to see if can cut the mustard or not, hopefully it's not a long 3 years.
dont worry if he cant cut the mustard he won't be here 3 years hell he might be gone by 2012 if we dont make the semis next year

lewiscook

Juniors
Ask any little Gen Y'er and whaever the next lot are called...
According to them the world owes them everything and they are guarenteed jobs, houses, toys etc ;-)

That is a bit vague i think.
Yes alot are like that, i got heaps of mates who do nothing, whinge about life and leach off there parents to parrty on weekends to ending up laying round all week whinging about society etc...

For me im doing an electrical apprenticeship and work 6 days a week plus a day at tafe, i honestly don't stop and thats because i realise i owe everything! and deserve nothing until i have done my bit in life.:)

Just a geny y's view.

MrT

Juniors
I wouldn't say I'm overly excited with Kearney as coach but I will support him as coach of the Eels. He did well at the Storm but that was behind Bellamy and an open checkbook. Though serving his apprenticeship under Bellamy who himself learned from Wayne Bennett is certainly comforting. But having a successful assistant coaching career doesn't mean you'll neceassarily become a great head coach so it's really hit or miss each time. Shane Flanagan was one of the most experienced assistant coaches in the business but I won't be expecting him to turn the Sharks around next year.

The thing that excites me is Bellamy/Kearney produced players. They didn't go out and buy 500k players they produced them from a young age.
I hope Kearney can do this at the Eels because we have a host of great youngsters coming through...Loko, Sio, O'Hanlon, Tupou, Jennings, Gagan etc

Haynzy

First Grade
That is a bit vague i think.
Yes alot are like that, i got heaps of mates who do nothing, whinge about life and leach off there parents to parrty on weekends to ending up laying round all week whinging about society etc...

For me im doing an electrical apprenticeship and work 6 days a week plus a day at tafe, i honestly don't stop and thats because i realise i owe everything! and deserve nothing until i have done my bit in life.:)

Just a geny y's view.

I know mate and you have my respect, sadly you are in the minority.

lewiscook

Juniors
I know mate and you have my respect, sadly you are in the minority.

When your brought up knowing you have to work for every part of life, which in includes wealth, friendsship, respect, loyalty it really helps instead of having everything put on a silver plater for you.

Eels Dude

Coach
The thing that excites me is Bellamy/Kearney produced players. They didn't go out and buy 500k players they produced them from a young age.
I hope Kearney can do this at the Eels because we have a host of great youngsters coming through...Loko, Sio, O'Hanlon, Tupou, Jennings, Gagan etc

Well that is true. Bellamy learned from Wayne Bennett the processes to put in place to run a successful football as a whole, and in turn Kearney has learned those from Bellamy. The question is whether we as a club have the financial resources to put these desired practices into place as clubs like Brisbane and Melbourne were sitting on a bucketload of cash to be able to do anything they liked to become a success.

When your brought up knowing you have to work for every part of life, which in includes wealth, friendsship, respect, loyalty it really helps instead of having everything put on a silver plater for you.

Work a bit harder and you might eventually be able to put spelling, punctuation and grammar on that list. I doubt it, though.

boxhead

First Grade
I hear we'll know about the wenty job in the next day or 2 nd I'll be absolutely stunned if what matters is claiming he heard actually comes to fruition..

That's pretty big.....when you say stunned though mate, do you mean as in "wow that's awesome" or "that's really bad"?
Don't have to answer if you don't want to, just wondering :)

That's what I thought, I've heard from lots of knowledgeable Storm supporters that say Kearney really knows how to get the best out of players week-in-week-out and is very good with helping to develop young talent.

Well that is true. Bellamy learned from Wayne Bennett the processes to put in place to run a successful football as a whole, and in turn Kearney has learned those from Bellamy. The question is whether we as a club have the financial resources to put these desired practices into place as clubs like Brisbane and Melbourne were sitting on a bucketload of cash to be able to do anything they liked to become a success.

I think we should be able to do it, hopefully. I believe Kearney definitely knows how to get those structures in place, also a huge boon that he is bringing Brad Arthur with him.

The thing I see is, is that Kearney has a great record for keeping teams playing consistently well; obviously a huge part of the Storm's success over the past few years, and something he definitely learned from Craig Bellamy-who learned from Wayne Bennett.
It's something we really need; if Kearney brings all these training structures into the team that he wants to (which he will)-the coaching staff seem to really be happy and approve of the structures he wants to implement, and I'm betting the players will definitely be looking forward to playing under him.
I think he can bring to our team what we have been missing for years-consistency.