What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official RLWC Draw

Finally!

RLWC.jpg

Half a century after hosting the first Rugby League World Cup in Australia, the Sydney Cricket Ground precinct has won the honour of hosting the 2008 Opening Ceremony and with it Australia’s opening match against New Zealand. The Rugby League International Federation Executive’s announcement that the Sydney Football Stadium will host both the opening ceremony on October 26, 2008, and the second semi-final on November 16, locks in all 12 venues for the 18-match tournament. Canberra, Wollongong, Penrith and Parramatta were the other venues finalised at yesterday’s meeting of the RLIF Executive at the Australian Rugby League offices. It was in 1957 at the SCG that Australia clinched the second ever World Cup contest with a 26-9 win over France that ensured the home team would go through the tournament undefeated. While four nations competed in the tournament that year, 10 will head to the Sydney Football Stadium for the 2008 Opening Ceremony. “As Australia this week prepare for a Test against New Zealand, Ricky Stuart has made it clear he is already looking towards next year’s World Cup,” RLIF Chairman and World Cup Tournament Director, Mr Colin Love AM, said today. “The northern hemisphere will soon see seven nations - Ireland, Russia, Lebanon, Scotland, Wales, USA and Samoa - battle for the remaining three places in the main World Cup Draw. “The 2008 Rugby League World Cup is going to be a significant event for Rugby League and for Australia. “The support we have received from the Australian Federal Government through its generous grant and from the Queensland, Victorian and NSW Governments recognises that significance and ensures that the tournament is built on a solid foundation. “We will take matches across three states and the ACT; to major cities and to regional centres in a way that will allow all fans to be a part of the World Cup experience. “The finalisation of all venues today is another reminder of the scale of what is being planned.” England’s Rugby Football League Executive Chairman, Mr Richard Lewis, today said that overseas interest in the tournament was building quickly: “It’s been a long wait for nations to have the chance to challenge Australia for the trophy and the players and the fans are keen for the opportunity. “There has been a lot of interest in UK travel packages already and I am sure that the Australian fans will have some enthusiastic competition in the stands as well as what the players will face on the field. “The work already undertaken by the World Cup Committee is certainly encouraging and there’s a lot of enthusiasm building around the event.” Following the NRL Grand Final, Mr Lewis travelled to Townsville to inspect the facilities that will host the clash between England and Papua New Guinea on Saturday, October 25 2008. He was impressed with the local involvement and support of the Rugby League World Cup. Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart said today that a World Cup on Australian soil was already a major focus for the players. “We’ve had the Darren Lockyers of the world talk about how much they want to be there and for any young player coming through it would be hard to think of a greater honour than representing your country against all comers in our Centenary year. “Every time you wear the Australian jumper it is an important event in its own right but players at the moment know also that there is now a chance to stake your claim for the World Cup. “I think that is going to help breed a new level of intensity in everything we do as a national team between now and the end of the World Cup tournament in ’08.”

http://www.rlwc08.com/news/article.asp?id=23

Kurt Angle

First Grade
So the games at Penrith on the 31st October and the games in Gosford on the 5th November are double headers ??

and...

PENRITH ????

over parramatta stadium...???

Are they hoping to appeal to fans from over the dividing range ??

Kurt Angle

First Grade
They also forgot the game on the 14th November where Super pool 4 plays the loser of the Pool B&C play off.

skeepe

Immortal
Penrith AND Parramatta Stadium? Come on, surely Perth could have got at least 1 of the games allocated between these places?

Could the RLWC justify taking any of the games allocated to Penrith and Parramatta to Perth?

I really struggle to imagine the people of Perth coming out in the numbers that would justify the extra expense for Tonga vs. Repechage or Tonga vs. Europe 1 in Rugby League.

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
I'll b e looking at going to maybe 9 or 10 games. Pretty much all Sydney, Central Coast and Newcastle and the final in Brisbane.
I have been waiting for years for this.
The local games I will be taking about 10 to 15 people to the game. I think Newcastle will sell out in no time.

brendothejet

First Grade
I'm thinking i can get to every game except canberra.

logistically possible...now just need the money...lol

Kurt Angle

First Grade
brendothejet said:
I'm thinking i can get to every game except canberra.

logistically possible...now just need the money...lol

Erhh brendo. for example

Sat 1 Nov...

Fiji vs France @ WIN Stadium - Wollongong

AND

NZ vs PNG @ Skilled Stadium - Robina

Logisitcall yimposssible to go to every game.

The Nov 9 games Penrith AND Townsville

RLIF

Juniors
Perth?? What a waste of money that would be to fly two teams all the way there to play a game that they can play in Sydney and still get 10,000 to attend it.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
OK, looks like I will fly into melbourne for the Aus Eng game on the 2nd Nov

I probably stay for the Melbourne Cup and fly up to Sydney wednesday morning for either the Gosford or Parramatta stadium game on the 5th,

Newcastle on the 8th,
Penrith on the 9th.
Sydney for the semi on the 16th
Brisbane on the 22nd.

mattystans000

Juniors
So Rankings will go:

1st RLWC Winner (ex. Aus)
2nd RLWC Runner Up (ex. Nzl)
3rd Loser of the 2v3 Semi (ex. Eng)
4th Loser of the 1vSFQ Semi (ex. Fra)
5th Loser of the SFQ (ex. Wal)
6th ? - PNG
7th/8th - Pool B2 v Pool B3 (ex. Fij-7th/Ton-8th)
9th/10th - Pool B3 v Pool C3 (ex. Lebanon-9th/Sam-10th)

Surely there should be/could be a 5th/6th Ranking Match, PNG deserve something? They're not just destined for 6th Place and that's it are they? And for the super optimists... England could be ranked 6th by this system if they somehow fall to PNG.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
ever thought about developing the game in frontier territories? no you wouldnt have, youre named after our inept intl body.

mattystans000

Juniors
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
ever thought about developing the game in frontier territories? no you wouldnt have, youre named after our inept intl body.

i'd agree with you but this world cup was about getting big money, and perth was only gonna do that if the RLIF gave them a marquee match. they gave Eng v Png to Townsville so the only realistic game got away from them. this was because the WA govt. did'nt put in some money or something and the RLIF aren't too good at making choices to benefit International RL. any minnow nations match would be a waste in perth to be honest.

Latest posts