What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official RLWC2017 Draw

I guess the only way to solve it is to buy a case of beer and a $ 800 Holden station wagon and go up and down Australia watching rugby league...

johnny plath

Juniors
Oh its been decided australia will finish top of the group then....

Roll on melbourne!

Well no, the article just says that Australia WILL play in Darwin in the QF unless they are playing NZ and NZ finish higher than them in the pool stages. Nobody mentioned Australia finishing top of the pool as a foregone conclusion.

johnny plath

Juniors
You have a funny concept of time my friend

Sydney to perth is 5hours plus

Perth to darwin 4hours

Perth to wellington is 11hours with the shortest layover

Wellington to brisbane is 4hour

True, a bit longer to Perth and Darwin, but they're outliers, so fair enough. It seems Darwin looks unlikely for England this time around though, so not quite as much travel as you suggest, but yeah a bit of trekking - maybe Sydney to Melb to Perth - back to Melb then Brisbane or Auckland. Not much different to WC2013 though when England played at Cardiff, Huddersfield, Hull, Wigan, London. Nothing there under 1hr 25 by road, and a couple of 3h30 trips as well(just using google maps, don't shoot me if I'm wrong) . Genuine question, would all travel at the last WC within Britain have been road, or do people fly around within the country??

roughyedspud

Coach
On the roads...though i do know the kiwis used the train from london to manchester after the wembley semi...cos i was on the same effing train lol

jim_57

Staff member
Upon reflection, I still have a few problems with the draw, but I'm sure they can make it work. The one major one is not using Eden Park for the semi, that one is indefensible IMO. But can see there might have been some strategy behind some of the schedule. With the somewhat conservative draw though they should be going hell for leather on marketing to sell out as many grounds as possible. Some crowds they should be aiming for:

• Aus V Eng @ AAMI - 30K, sold out months in advance.
  • NZ V Samoa @ Mt Smart - 25k?, sold out months in advance
  • DHers @ Cairns, Townsville & Perth - All sell outs or very close to it.
  • Aus V Fra @ Canberra - 20k+
  • Eng V lebanese @ Allianz - 15-20k
  • NZ V Sct @ Christchurch - 20k+
  • Tonga V Samoa @ Hamilton - Sell out
  • Aus V lebanese @ Allianz - 30k+, anything less is a major disappointment.
  • NZ V Tonga @ Hamilton - Sell Out
  • 3x PNG home games - Sell Outs
Finals
  • Darwin - 18k? Sell Out, months in advance
  • Melbourne - 20k+
  • Christchurch & Wellington (game with NZ a sell out, other 20k+)
  • SF Auckland - Sell out, months in advance
  • SF Brisbane - 40k+
  • Final Brisbane - Sell Out, months in advance.

PaulyTom

Juniors
I think your predictions on crowds won't be far off the mark. I'm calling it now , it will be the best ever rlwc. Can't wait.

Upon reflection, I still have a few problems with the draw, but I'm sure they can make it work. The one major one is not using Eden Park for the semi, that one is indefensible IMO. But can see there might have been some strategy behind some of the schedule. With the somewhat conservative draw though they should be going hell for leather on marketing to sell out as many grounds as possible. Some crowds they should be aiming for:

• Aus V Eng @ AAMI - 30K, sold out months in advance.
  • NZ V Samoa @ Mt Smart - 25k?, sold out months in advance
  • DHers @ Cairns, Townsville & Perth - All sell outs or very close to it.
  • Aus V Fra @ Canberra - 20k+
  • Eng V lebanese @ Allianz - 15-20k
  • NZ V Sct @ Christchurch - 20k+
  • Tonga V Samoa @ Hamilton - Sell out
  • Aus V lebanese @ Allianz - 30k+, anything less is a major disappointment.
  • NZ V Tonga @ Hamilton - Sell Out
  • 3x PNG home games - Sell Outs
Finals
  • Darwin - 18k? Sell Out, months in advance
  • Melbourne - 20k+
  • Christchurch & Wellington (game with NZ a sell out, other 20k+)
  • SF Auckland - Sell out, months in advance
  • SF Brisbane - 40k+
  • Final Brisbane - Sell Out, months in advance.

hutch

First Grade
Although I'm dissapointed with the lack of games in nsw, if the nsw government won't toss up any money then so be it. It's a hard one, we need to make so serious money for the international game! The last two world cups have made about $5 million each which is not a lot. Hopefully we can at least double this in 2017. I'm already dreading the Sydney rugby league media, they absolutely bag rugby league at will during the NRL and if the rlwc doesn't capture the attention of people in Sydney I'm afraid they will do their best to undermine it.

I still can't wait, looking to go to PNG and a few other games. Australia v Lebanon in Sydney will be absolutely massive.

Perth Red

Post Whore
AAMI is miles better experience than Etihad, pleased they sacrificed some ticket sales for a better fan experience.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope they create fan areas for the England fans to boost the atmosphere. Release some England travelling army sections please!

PaulyTom

Juniors
Segregated country sections are a must . Imagine all the English fans in one area, all in white, singing .

jim_57

Staff member
I think your predictions on crowds won't be far off the mark. I'm calling it now , it will be the best ever rlwc. Can't wait.

Selling some places short on Capacity mwans they must go all out to get a lot of sell outs. Getting the opener, final & semi in Auckland sold out ASAP should be priority.

morningstar

Juniors
Just had a quick play with potential crowds based on the stadium information on the RLWC2017 Wikipedia page. It's not the most accurate but a fair indicator. Based the average on 25 events rather than 28 games due to the double headers as well.

100% Occupancy - 685,222 - 27,408 average
90% Occupancy - 616,700 - 24,688 average
80% Occupancy - 548,178 - 21,827 average
70% Occupancy - 479,655 - 19,186 average

I think at RLWC13 they targeted 80% occupancy, if the 2017 organizers can achieve that it will be approximately 100K extra than 2013 and we will break the magic 20,000 people average barrier too.

adamkungl

Immortal
Rugby WC attendance averages for comparison

Aus 2003 - 38000
Fra 2007 - 47000
NZ 2011 - 31000
Eng 2015 - 52000

While International RU has more top level competitive teams, RL is far more popular in Australia. We shouldn't consider that 38k out of reach.

I think the biggest flaw of our draw is that, even at 100% attendance, it doesn't allow is to get close to that 30-40k mark. As has been said earlier, we've set the bar too low. Getting people through the gates in large numbers, even if it takes dirt cheap tickets or giveaways like other sports do, is the best way to improve the profile of international RL.

All games featuring Aus or NZ, and all finals should be at 40-60k capacity stadiums.
And hopefully by next time around (another 8 years...) we can lose this ridiculous standoff situation between Sydney and International Rugby League. The final deserves to be played in front of 80,000.

On the roads...though i do know the kiwis used the train from london to manchester after the wembley semi...cos i was on the same effing train lol

Harder to do in Australia. Some rail trips between cities take between 12-24 hours (e.g. Sydney to Melbourne and Sydney to Brisbane both take 12 hours by rail) with a few taking longer than that.

Billythekid

First Grade
Rugby WC attendance averages for comparison

Aus 2003 - 38000
Fra 2007 - 47000
NZ 2011 - 31000
Eng 2015 - 52000

While International RU has more top level competitive teams, RL is far more popular in Australia. We shouldn't consider that 38k out of reach.

I think the biggest flaw of our draw is that, even at 100% attendance, it doesn't allow is to get close to that 30-40k mark. As has been said earlier, we've set the bar too low. Getting people through the gates in large numbers, even if it takes dirt cheap tickets or giveaways like other sports do, is the best way to improve the profile of international RL.

All games featuring Aus or NZ, and all finals should be at 40-60k capacity stadiums.
And hopefully by next time around (another 8 years...) we can lose this ridiculous standoff situation between Sydney and International Rugby League. The final deserves to be played in front of 80,000.

Whilst I don't think that 38K average is realistic this time around I agree that we have set the bar too low. I think the main issue is limiting the capacity on the bigger games, in particular NZ games.

Unless I'm reading things wrong NZ will only play one game in the entire tournament in a stadium with a capacity over 30K and that's the GF. That is just an awful decision. Even the warriors can draw 30k+ at Eden park. I don't think all their games should be there but having say two of their matches there could have a huge impact on the average crowd for the tournament. The SF should be at Eden park. In general I think a SF should be in a 40K+ stadium no matter what.

I'm also torn on some of the bigger matches. The opener between Australia and England has the potential to sell out any stadium in the country. Now whilst I agree that a packed out Aami park will look good and provide a great atmosphere it still feels like we're selling ourselves short. This game could have been held at a bigger stadium and drawn 50k+ depending on the venue.

Basically my thinking is this. Either one of the GF, SF or opening match should have been held at ANZ stadium and I don't care if Sydney bid for games or not. A game there with 60K+ people (personally I think we could sell it out) would be a fantastic look for the game and would boost the average crowd immensely.

Aus vs Eng, both SF's and the GF should all be played in stadiums with a 50k capacity (really Aus and NZ's QF matches potentially should as well).

ANZ stadium should get a match regardless of bidding IMO. I'm also sure that with a bid of negotiation they would have offered up something even if it wasn't as good as other cities. Nothing can replace having a potential 60-80K for a tournament like this.

Say you sellout ANZ, Suncorp, etihad and Eden park for these big matches. That's somewhere in the order of 240K people. Have Australia's QF at Aami park (or Suncorp) and NZ's at mt smart (or Eden park) and you have 300K+ already. I realise this is optimistic but that is what we should be.

I disagree slightly with some of the smaller stadium choices but it's the lack of big ones that will hold us back. There are only 4 games being played at a stadium with more than 30K capacity (depending on what Aami can actually hold) and likely we'll only see 2 crowds with more than 30K. I don't see how anyone can justify that position.

PaulyTom

Juniors
If the rlwc averages over 22k per game it would be deemed an extremely successful world cup. Considering the NRL struggles to average 16k and the Super league 10k.

Last thing we want is playing games in 86k Anz stadium and only having 20k show up.