What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies 2011 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Well its no worse then the stuff said about humble or murray, he had a very good off season and had he not be injured at the later stages of the off season he may well have started at the beginning of the year.

Loko and Morgan were both promoted and they both have a lot of growing to do. In the current state of our backline any player that can perform is a chance. Now even thou he only player the first half of the NSW cup game before being injured it was quoted he was the most likley of any player to break the line.

no! he didn't have a good off season at all, he damaged his elbow during a wrestling session with Shackleton before christmas...

I really don't know where you're getting this info from..

caylo

Bench
no! he didn't have a good off season at all, he damaged his elbow during a wrestling session with Shackleton before christmas...

I really don't know where you're getting this info from..

well you have your info and I have mine, from all the reports i heard before he injured his elbow Kearney was very impressed with him. Then he came back and played one game for wenty which he was injured in and out performed Whats, Reddy and Hicks.

Stagger eel

Staff member
well you have your info and I have mine, from all the reports i heard before he injured his elbow Kearney was very impressed with him. Then he came back and played one game for wenty which he was injured in and out performed Whats, Reddy and Hicks.

how do you justify a good off season when spent half of it with the re-hab group?? :lol:

and I saw the game where he played left wing and didn't finish the game and went off injured, I don't believe he out played the 3 blokes you mentioned..my info is me, I'm not relying on anyone else's information, I saw it for myself.

I'll say it again, the obsession with this bloke is almost unnatural given what he's achieved in the game since he joined Wenty, and I take into account the personal challenges that he faced in the past which is extremely unfortunate, but we're talking about his form on the field and I've yet to see it..maybe I'll see it tomorrow at Toyota park??? who knows?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
how do you justify a good off season when spent half of it with the re-hab group?? :lol:

and I saw the game where he played left wing and didn't finish the game and went off injured, I don't believe he out played the 3 blokes you mentioned..my info is me, I'm not relying on anyone else's information, I saw it for myself.

I'll say it again, the obsession with this bloke is almost unnatural given what he's achieved in the game since he joined Wenty, and I take into account the personal challenges that he faced in the past which is extremely unfortunate, but we're talking about his form on the field and I've yet to see it..maybe I'll see it tomorrow at Toyota park??? who knows?

Stagger do reckon if Filga has was able to remain injury free for a substantial amount of time, he has the ability to push for a NRL start?

It seems he shows some good form then he gets injured again and so on

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Aukland 22 Wenty 12

very very dissapointing display by the boys, in fact i expected better fron a few of those guys.

Both Reddy and Hicks played on the same side of the ruck, both I thought started slowly but then they piucked up a bit of mementum as the match went on.

whatauera was awful, the guy wasn't up to the pace of the game missed several 1 on 1 tckles and never really did much with the ball in his hand.

Pele really played well until he went of with a bit of a knock on the knee in the first half but continually dented the line and we appeared to have lost our way when he went off.

Brendan Waters at 6 played all over Brad Murray who I thought was a pedestraen for most of the game..

Jake, i don't think Paki played but he was on an exteneded bench.

Filiga played left wing and went of after making a break in the first half he appeared to have hurt an ankle, i thought he was quite menacing before he went off, i don't think the injury is too serious though.

Anthony Mitchell started slowly and was pulled up for some dodgy service from dummy half but came to his own in the second half and really tried to expose Aucklands big men.

in all a very dissapointing display and I imagine that Hicks and reddy will be given another stint at wenty because of the fg win tonight..at the moment Whatuera and Murray shouldn't be any where near fg.

Also Stagger you mentioned here he went alright on the wing, it just seems he is always injured. Maybe Caylo is right if he wasn't injured he may have received a call up before Loco.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Stagger do reckon if Filga has was able to remain injury free for a substantial amount of time, he has the ability to push for a NRL start?

It seems he shows some good form then he gets injured again and so on

yeah probably! ..but he has to stay on the field for a start and secondly show that form on a consistant basis.

Also Stagger you mentioned here he went alright on the wing, it just seems he is always injured. Maybe Caylo is right if he wasn't injured he may have received a call up before Loco.

well we'll never know about that but he didn't neccesarily out play the blokes he mentioned. He made one or 2 decent runs that looked good but if his body is struggling with the impact at that level than he has a long way to go, i would like him to play atleast 4 games in a row if possible before we consider him.

caylo

Bench
well we'll never know about that but he didn't neccesarily out play the blokes he mentioned. He made one or 2 decent runs that looked good but if his body is struggling with the impact at that level than he has a long way to go, i would like him to play atleast 4 games in a row if possible before we consider him.

Stagger it hasn't always been in injuries and you know that. Last year he forced his way into the wenty team and was out performing J.Wright before going to NZ for family reasons. Had he not left he may well have played in the centres ahead Wright.

Now you can call it an obsession but your not even close. I do recognise that Filiga has had his injury issues and personal problems hinder his development but I have some friends who are very close to the guy and he is one of the nicest people you will meet with all the talent in the world and I hope that he does do well and thats it.

Nothing ive said about him is any different to what has been said about guys like Humble, POH, Murray, Loko, Sio and Bruest. If you go back and read what I posted I stated IF he can stay on the park for an extended period he could push for a spot in the 13 and with the state of our backs atm can you disagree with that? Stop making a mountain out of an anthill.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Stagger it hasn't always been in injuries and you know that. Last year he forced his way into the wenty team and was out performing J.Wright before going to NZ for family reasons. Had he not left he may well have played in the centres ahead Wright. .

completely disagree, he was never infront of Jono Wright in the pecking order you can talk to anyone in the coaching staff.

Now you can call it an obsession but your not even close. I do recognise that Filiga has had his injury issues and personal problems hinder his development but I have some friends who are very close to the guy and he is one of the nicest people you will meet with all the talent in the world and I hope that he does do well and thats it. .

i don't know what being a nice bloke has anything to do with it, Dan Mortimer is a really good guy too and I'm sure the same could be said about Robo or keats who have been basically chastitised in here..truth is Filiga as good a guy he is, i know he is, has not achieved jack at NRL level other than a solitary first grade game and he's 23 years of age..so i'll wait until it happens, you continue to rave about him.

Nothing ive said about him is any different to what has been said about guys like Humble, POH, Murray, Loko, Sio and Bruest. If you go back and read what I posted I stated IF he can stay on the park for an extended period he could push for a spot in the 13 and with the state of our backs atm can you disagree with that? Stop making a mountain out of an anthill.

I have grave doubts about Sio, Bruest and Murray also i see those guys as noithing more than glorified Bundy cup players upon develpoment..Sio could prove me wrong but I doubt the other 2 would

caylo

Bench
completely disagree, he was never infront of Jono Wright in the pecking order you can talk to anyone in the coaching staff.

Stagger do you read more then the first two words of each sentence?

Firstly i stated that Filiga out performed Wright in the games he played for Wenty last year and many people on this site were of the same opinion. I never said he was ahead of him in the pecking order but had Filiga lasted more then 3-4 games before going to NZ he may have played some NRL footy last year.

Filiga came here at the end of 2009 and played very well in bundy cup, in 2010 he played a few games for wenty before going over to NZ for around 3 months and when he has played he has performed. It isn't like the kid is being held back because of injuries, he has had a lot of personal issues to deal with.

i don't know what being a nice bloke has anything to do with it, Dan Mortimer is a really good guy too and I'm sure the same could be said about Robo or keats who have been basically chastitised in here..truth is Filiga as good a guy he is, i know he is, has not achieved jack at NRL level other than a solitary first grade game and he's 23 years of age..so i'll wait until it happens, you continue to rave about him.
Also said he was talented something those two you arn't. I know he has also achieved jack at NRL but neither has Loko, Morgan and a lot of other players but he could be if his luck changes slightly. So far he has had a lot of external factors which have hindered him not just injuries

I have grave doubts about Sio, Bruest and Murray also i see those guys as noithing more than glorified Bundy cup players upon develpoment..Sio could prove me wrong but I doubt the other 2 would

Really don't care because that wasn't the point, I was simply comparing what is said about him is no difference to others. Again that is more about you taking things out of context and arguing that. You don't have to rate him and thats your opinion, if you want to explain why then go ahead if you just want to cry about others talking maybe you shouldn't read (or ignore) what they say :)

caylo

Bench
Wenty should have won that game. As mits said, some very questionable calls by the ref. First came from a wenty drop out, the half back dead set dropped the ball and the touchie was right there and somehow missed it. Few sets later dogs are on the wenty line and they play the ball in to touch and the ref at first calls a change over then changes his mind and gives a penalty, dogs score from the next set and get the momentum and take out the game.

Best players for Wenty Karl Filiga by far, this guy is a beast, 2 tries, carrying players over the line and took at least 3 or 4 players to bring down every time he ran and was damaging in defence, he played for 60min in the 2nd row, i see him staying in NSW cup despite what some people on this forum think. Peter sharp was there and im sure he will now be on the radar, only 1 game but he showed today what he is capable of.

Other stand outs were Trent Rose who was quick out of dummy half and had the defence on the back foot with his quick runs, Tim robinson worked hard all game as did Lasalo.

Im sure the boys will be fired up for the game next week ready to bounce back with a win.

Karl Flinga with a tackle that gives the bally to wenty, A good set, but sharks counter attack but their last pass is forward and Wenty Win 30 - 28

I would say Ant Mitchell , Karl Flinga and Pele were our best

Filiga is getting better with each game, minutes are increasing each game and in the four games he has played he has shown all the qualities, attack, defence, also has a good offload.

He played for 70 minutes yesterday and did a lot of tackling, worked his back side off. Came up with a few awesome 1 on 1 tackles. Saved a try with a good tackle on the line as well. In attack he was not given room to work by the halves, they were giving it to him without notice and this is what i was getting at in my last post about our halves.

We have players like lasalo, wright and filiga who run awesome lines and if coming off a back line move they will be hard to stop. They were not setting up plays, they need to set it up 2 or 3 tackles in advance of when they are going to do it. It was like they would give the ball to the forwards and say here try and score because we don't know what to do, very frustrating.

Stagger just for you, these were some comments from other forum members after Karls first two NSW cup games last year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Caylo, bottom line...

it's obvious that posters like ianlovesparra and Benoir are both big fans and that's fine but I think they're also the friends that you were talking about buddy..

meanwhile I would rather make the judgement call myself as I've seen him and spoken to more then 1 member of the coaching staff about him, so we'll sit back and wait for this kid to explode and I'm sure that you'll still be still singing his praises in 2016 when he's still probably sitting on less than 10 fg games..

caylo

Bench
Caylo, bottom line...

it's obvious that posters like ianlovesparra and Benoir are both big fans and that's fine but I think they're also the friends that you were talking about buddy..

meanwhile I would rather make the judgement call myself as I've seen him and spoken to more then 1 member of the coaching staff about him, so we'll sit back and wait for this kid to explode and I'm sure that you'll still be still singing his praises in 2016 when he's still probably sitting on less than 10 fg games..

I knew benior was a friend of his so i didnt quote him but i had no idea about ianlovesparra. MarkInTheStands also made a comment, is he a friend too. I'm sure if you go back there are multiple people that say the same thing, is it just some conspiracy that everyone wants to make him look better then he is.

I think he has talent and that he can make it and stated why. What about his game don't you think isnt good enough for the NRL? And if you dont answer it i will just assume he ran over your dog or something.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I knew benior was a friend of his so i didnt quote him but i had no idea about ianlovesparra. MarkInTheStands also made a comment, is he a friend too. I'm sure if you go back there are multiple people that say the same thing, is it just some conspiracy that everyone wants to make him look better then he is.

I think he has talent and that he can make it and stated why. What about his game don't you think isnt good enough for the NRL? And if you dont answer it i will just assume he ran over your dog or something.

well the old deathriding line just doesn't work, there isn't a player at our club from the top 25 down to the under 15's development squad and including every Wenty contracted player that I don't want to see succede especially at this club.

we can also talk about potential with every player at this club but Karlos as it stands now, has not shown me that he can handle the week to week rigours of NRL and until he does he will always be a fringe state cup which he is now.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he is a mature age player and he is as good as he's going to get

its not as tho he is a developing teenager

Stagger eel

Staff member
Wenty got beat 34-6 against the sharks.

Lupi and Armit were probably the only players to have played reasonably well.

Status
Not open for further replies.