What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forty20

First Grade
NSW Cup Trial - Match Review
Eels Digital
Saturday 23 February 2013 4:20 PM

Wentworthville will have to work on their second half defence ahead of round one in the NSW Cup. The Magpies showed plenty of promise in wet and slippery conditions in the team's final trial game won 30-22 by the Windsor Wolves at Centrebet Stadium.

After a sluggish start, which included two tries to massive Wolves winger Eto Nabuli, five-eighth Brendan Waters sparked the Magpies into action midway through the opening half with a superb individual try, kicking and regathering to score under the posts.

The momentum then definitely shifted towards Wenty just prior to the break after Peni Terepo barged over close to the line before Jacob Loko crashed over in the corner to give the Magpies a 16-8 halftime lead.

Wentworthville extended their advantage to 22-8 early in the second half but several defensive lapses during the second stanza allowed to Wolves to post four back-to-back tries, including a third to Nabuli, to seize the advantage and close out the match 30-22.

The Magpies play their first match of the NSW Cup season against Mounties on Saturday, March 9 at Parramatta Stadium.

Clicky

I thought we already knew that and that is why Wenty are playing a few games at Parramatta stadium including being the only game played during the Representative weekend as we take on Manly at Parramatta Stadium.

Forty20

First Grade
WENTY'S SILVA LINING
In Jerome Mackenzie, the Magpies have found their very own Rocket Man
By Matt Logue
RLW February 27, 2013, Pg 42

When he's on song, Wentworthville fullback Jerome Mackenzie evokes memories of 'Rocket' Rod Silva.

That's the opinion of Magpies coach Brad Cook, who sees plenty of silky smooth ex-Rooster and Bulldog Silva in the club's 2012 Rookie of the Year.

"Jerome reminds me of Rod a lot, because he is just good on his feet and is a similar build in that there isn't too much of him", Cook tells RLW. "I played against Rod in the under-23s for Souths back in 1988 and '89 when he was playing with Easts and this kid is just so similar."

But there's a problem: MacKenzie's on-field enthusiasm doesn't translate to the training paddock, and it recently cost him an opportunity with the full-time Parramatta squad.

The 21-year-old trained with the Eels until a week before the Christmas break, before being sent back to Wentworthville.

"That wasn't a good feeling," MacKenzie says. "They sent about six of us back to the NSW Cup and a few of them have gone back to the full-time squad, but I still haven't. I'd taken it a bit easy in the full-time squad and I wasn't training hard. I was going through the motions and not putting in my best."

MacKenzie may have paid the price for his lack of effort, but he shouldn't forget it was only two years ago he was playing in the local A-grade competition with Wentworthville.

In 2012, his career went from the Bundaberg Red Cup under former Eels, Northern Eagles and Storm hardman Alex Chan to the NSW Cup.

Cook is of the belief there is no reason why MacKenzie can't learn from his mistakes and force his way into the Eels NRL squad. "I want to make Jerome realise the opportunity he's got and the he probably only has a small window - the next year or so - to grab it," he says. "This is a big year, because he'll need to play consistently well to stay in the NSW Cup side and then maybe get a shot in the NRL. I just hope he takes (the advice) on board and trains harder and shows the same enthusiasm he does on the field as he off it...when you put him on the football field he just flicks a switch."

MacKenzie has since taken on the role of willing pupil."Brad told me a few things I need to learn from and I took getting sent back to Wentworthville as a lesson," he says. "I still have a chance of playing first grade if I have a few good games and impress at Worthville, and hopefully the message will get back to the guys at Parramatta."

MacKenzie can also draw inspiration from his two older brothers, Cecil and KJ, who play for Wentworthville in the Bundaberg Red Cup. Like Jerome, the pair had chances to play at higher levels but didn't take them.

"My brothers tell me all the time that I need to make the most of everything," says MacKenzie. "They remember being like me with opportunities, but they let them slip. Everyone tells me I've got a chance...it's exciting to be in this position."

Please excuse any errors on my account.

Interesting article that I found in RLW today about one of the more exciting prospects at Wenty.

Forty20

First Grade
What are the current fortunes of 'the six' who were cut from the first-grade squad?

Jerome is covered in the article
Rory Brien left us for the West-Tigers
Semi Radradra is back training with the first-grade squad (?)
Peni Terepo is training with Wenty (?)

Who were the other two? Two amongst Dylan Gilbert, Lorenzo Ma'afu or Pat O'Hanlon perhaps?

Last edited:

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
What are the current fortunes of 'the six' who were cut from the first-grade squad?

Jerome is covered in the article
Rory Brien left us for the West-Tigers
Semi Radradra is back training with the first-grade squad (?)
Peni Terepo is training with Wenty (?)

Who were the other two? Two amongst Dylan Gilbert, Lorenzo Ma'afu or Pat O'Hanlon perhaps?

Gilbert and Ma'afu id say.

Roland

Juniors
Ron Massey Cup
Mounties v Wenty
Sunday 3rd March
Aubrey Keech Reserve Hinchinbrook
Kickoff 5:15pm

1. Will Dreves
2. Tia Kalifi
3. Nick Kassis
4. Matt Winchester
5. Shannon Chapman
6. Robbie Mate
7. Sam Brunton
8. Tere Glassie
9. Blake South
10. Pat Galea
11. John Leiataua
12. Grant Lahey
13. Jason Green
14. Shane Shackleton
15. Uiti Baker
16. Fred Pakutoa
17. Tim Baldwin
18. Adam Tangata
19. Billy King
20. Ben Ellis

True Blue Chemicals Sydney Shield
Mounties v Wenty
Sunday 3rd March
Aubrey Keech Reserve Hinchinbrook
Kickoff 3:30pm

1. Theo Leato
2. Tim Tautuaa
3. Siaosi Liumaunu
4. Vinnie Uelese
5. Macro Muscatello
6. TBA
7. Adam Marshall
8. Casey Ellis
9. Brandon Bonnici
10. Inoke Vunipola
11. Daniel Arona
12. Josh Ingram
13. Tunui Maurangi
14. Luke Speechley
15. Jaziah Dawson
16. Jade Ferguson
17. Josh Bishop
18. Graham Levu
19. Brett Lahey
20. PJ Asiata

Any Wenty team lists for these games?

Gronk

Staff member
Wentworthville Magpies Vs Mounties
Parramatta Stadium, Saturday, March 9
Kick-off: 1.10pm
Referee: Michael Laverty
Broadcast: LIVE on Fox Sports 1

1. Jake Mullaney
2. Jarome MacKenzie
3. Brayden Wiliame
4. Jon Pepa
5. Semi Radradra
6. Api Pewhairangi
7. Brendan Waters
8. Taulima Tautai
9. Dean Parata
10. Matthew Eisenhuth
11. Daniel Harrison
12. Kenny Edwards
13. Pat O’Hanlon

14. Lionel O’Mally
15. Danny Howard
16. Lorenzo Ma-afu
17. Peni Terepo

http://www.nswrl.com.au/?s=article-display&id=69162&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Doesn't look like Lorenzo went back to qld.

Also what happen to the nz player that was meant to turn up at training in jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts