What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offsiders

El Diablo

Post Whore
they're probably just jumping on the bandwagon

maybe there's a few Victorians there. The Offsiders is full of them and i think the bitch from Four Corners lives in Victoriania

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I have a dirty secret - I was born in Victoria. Luckily for me, the old man was partial to throwing it around at some bright young things whilst my Mum was stuck at home raising two kids & they split when I was three.

Even luckier was the fact that my Mum met a great man who hurried her back across the border to the land of her upbringing and saw fit to rescue me and the big sis from a life time in that small minded sh*t hole that Seinfeld once so aptly described as the anus of the world.

My affliction is that I follw St George after my step dad and most of the rest of his family before me, but I'll take a choke every year for the rest of my days & thank the old man for being a prick until my dying days for the simple fact that I got to grow up in NSW with a balanced view of the world & had the great privilege to grow up immersed in The Greatest Game of All - Rugby League.

And if you don't believe in karma, I have a fact that might sway you - my old man still lives in Mexico to this day.

Enough said.

I'll be returning to Mexico soon with its overated cafes and laneways.
The only thing I look forward to is the bubble wank stadium when its completed.
Maybe i'll visit the grisly scenes of the black Tuesday bushfires to examine the scale of mismanagement by the CFA.

MsStorm

Bench
I'll be returning to Mexico soon with its overated cafes and laneways.
The only thing I look forward to is the bubble wank stadium when its completed.
Maybe i'll visit the grisly scenes of the black Tuesday bushfires to examine the scale of mismanagement by the CFA.

Oh come on guys, some of us Mexicans are alright:lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore
channel 9's hour long National morning news didn't mention it once

sweep sweep

they're trying to keep it exclusively to Victorian news only

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
channel 9's hour long National morning news didn't mention it once

sweep sweep

they're trying to keep it exclusively to Victorian news only

I think we need to drop this paranoid horsesh*t.

The media, broadly, especially News Limited, cater for the lowest-common-denominator. Stories about sex, assault etc are their bread and butter.

The AFL Carlton/rape/drugs thing got top billing on the 7.30 report - which is pretty significant.

The more we whinge about targetting NRL, the more pathetic it looks.

If we're happy to sit back in the 90s and just hand the game to News Limited, then we've got to put up with the scummy behaviour they are famous for.

Anyone who can't see the double standard is a demented halfwit. If you can see them but think a shrug of the shoulders is good enough, then f**k off out of the thread.

Matt Johns got torn from pillar to post yet two massive stories about alleged rapes by AFL players just seem to pass everyone by.

That's about as double as you can get..

bulldog

Bench
Matty Johns will forever be known as the disgraced star he will never be able to live it down, Michael O'hushmoney will be roundly applauded and no mention will be made of his grubby behaviour.

Talking to one of 2 people I know who follow AwFuL I found out that they knew all the details of the Matty Johns scandal but had never heard of O'hushmoneys.

I think we need to drop this paranoid horsesh*t.

Paranoia
is an unfounded or exaggerated distrust - nothing unfounded or exaggerated about the obvious double standards we all see.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Matty Johns will forever be known as the disgraced star he will never be able to live it down, Michael O'hushmoney will be roundly applauded and no mention will be made of his grubby behaviour.

Talking to one of 2 people I know who follow AwFuL I found out that they knew all the details of the Matty Johns scandal but had never heard of O'hushmoneys.

Paranoia is an unfounded or exaggerated distrust - nothing unfounded or exaggerated about the obvious double standards we all see.

If you were talking about real, indepedent, fairminded journalists, you might have a point.

But, you're talking about News Limited offal - garbage bin scrapers like Danny Weidler. there's no right or wrong or balance, just wankers.

The AFL story had 10 minutes off the top on the 7.30 report. Do you want a TV show devoted to football rapes with each code getting 15 minutes each?

El Diablo

Post Whore
The AFL story had 10 minutes off the top on the 7.30 report.

Johns had an hour on Four Corners and that investigation was not botched like this one. the Police found no one had committed a crime

The Four Corners episode was heavily publicised by the media beforehand too eg:

NRL braces for a bad news day

Explosive sex revelations put rugby league in lockdown

and the above was one of the most popular articles on the WA Today website.

f1e5va.jpg

i cannot recall reading any articles promoting this latest Carlton sex scandal story. can you?

i can't even find any mention of it on the WA Today site atm

the day after the story aired and it is being ignored by most of the AFL loving media.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Honestly if anyone thinks there are not double standards between the reporting of RL and Flogball they are kidding themselves. O'Loughlin is being lauded a legend and a great of their game. Anyone with a clue knows what he is, then look at the way Johns was treated.........

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25994258-12377,00.html

Lawyer slams police for talking about rape claim

August 28, 2009
Article from: Australian Associated Press

THE lawyer for a woman who says she was raped by an AFL footballer has slammed Victoria Police for revealing details of a confidential settlement in the case.

Victoria Police says it paid $20,000 to the woman, who alleged she was raped by a Carlton player, for "compassionate reasons".

Lawyer Richard Lewis said the police were "in breach of that settlement and it's very disappointing".

"The terms of that settlement were confidential and I haven't revealed what they were or any amount of money," he said.

"The police put out a media release about what the terms were."

The woman says she was raped by a Carlton footballer in 1999 and was offered the money by Victoria Police after it bungled its investigation of her case, ABC television's The 7.30 Report reported yesterday.

The alleged incident came to light in late June, when detectives interviewed former Carlton president John Elliott after he said publicly the club had paid hush money to women over rape allegations during the 1980s and '90s.

Mr Lewis pointed out that the ABC TV report focused on the woman rejecting an offer of $20,000 from the police, but would not confirm or deny whether she accepted a second offer of cash.

Victoria Police released a statement on Friday saying the woman accepted its second offer of $20,000, which included a confidentiality clause.

The woman said that was untrue.

"I don't know what they are talking about. That is wrong. I've never accepted any money," the woman told Fairfax Radio.

"They didn't come back with a second offer. They offered me once, that's correct, yes, and I rejected it.

"The police stuffed up. The guy got away with it."

The program also reported an Office of Police Integrity (POI) document found the police botched the investigation into the woman's rape allegation by not collecting the suspect's DNA and letting two days pass before visiting the alleged crime scene.

Victoria Police apologised to the woman at the time and in its statement and said its initial offer of $20,000 was rejected by the woman and she unsuccessfully took legal action.

"In a further show of good faith and for compassionate reasons, Victoria Police again offered the woman $20,000 because we believed it was the right thing to do," the statement said.

"This offer was accepted and did include a confidentiality clause which is standard in government litigation.

"We are extremely disappointed with her response, particularly as a result of the significant efforts by Victoria Police to deal with this matter."

A Victoria Police spokesman said the force would not comment when asked whether other claims of sexual assault against AFL footballers had been settled in the same way.

Brutus

Referee
The AFL story had 10 minutes off the top on the 7.30 report. Do you want a TV show devoted to football rapes with each code getting 15 minutes each?

Well you might have a point if the Matt Johns story was given 10 minutes on an ABC programme then forgotten about by the rest of the media.

But considering it wasn't, maybe you should just POQ from this thread.

Whatever you think about the boorish behaviour of some footballers, it pales into insignificance beside the ramifications of this story. It is simply stunning that the Victorian police have admitted paying money to victims of crime who have complained about the way their cases were handled. It raises serious questions about the integrity of police investigations.

This is just about grounds for a Royal Commission. Of course it would be if rugby league was involved.

ibeme

First Grade
No offsides in AFL, but it's all AFL in Offsiders.

The first 15 mins of the show was about AFL vs 30 secs of NRL. Then when they did bring it up again, it was about Inglis and Stewart.

At least Roy has finally taken the gloves off and is starting to point out the hypocrisy

Latest posts