What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offsiders

why is it sickening? it's good management. I would be more than happy if RL could control the media in sydney the same way.

Yeah, it's always good management to ignore that players allegedly paid off rape victims, discredit people who say it happened, hide the names of drug cheats and ensure that negative press is held to a minimum even though the code is neck-deep in garbage.

You're a dickhead, anyone ever tell you that?

If you're typical of Perth based NRL fans, I hope to christ Perth never get an NRL side.

Last edited:

PeterA

Juniors
Calm down Everlovin' Antichrist he's just having an opinion and i hope your not the typical Nrl supporter

Kiki

First Grade
u know what guys

as much as it sucks that these fools are bitching about the game we love, at least it means league is in the public conciousness. unlike union which no one gives a sh*t about (at least the domestic competition anyway)

like okay me and sassy...we have these insane cricket nerds that write hateful blogs about us and then post negative comments on our CA blog, thinking it's gonna hurt us or something. when in reality it's just made us a more valuable commodity because we are polarising and it drives the hit rates up.

sometimes i feel league is a bit like that. sure the way it's targeted is unfair and completely bias, but fact is people are ALWAYS talking about league. and it isn't going anywhere. it's survived this long u know?

also sassy and i were talking about the way league is so reviled by some sections of the media/population and the fact that it actually makes us more determined to love it and support it. i'm sure alot of fans are in the same boat.

Angry_eel

First Grade
why is it sickening? it's good management. I would be more than happy if RL could control the media in sydney the same way.
mate if ANY organisation starts controlling the media, that is bad for society.

The whole point of media is to be unbiased.

Angry_eel

First Grade
u know what guys

as much as it sucks that these fools are bitching about the game we love, at least it means league is in the public conciousness. unlike union which no one gives a sh*t about (at least the domestic competition anyway)

like okay me and sassy...we have these insane cricket nerds that write hateful blogs about us and then post negative comments on our CA blog, thinking it's gonna hurt us or something. when in reality it's just made us a more valuable commodity because we are polarising and it drives the hit rates up.

sometimes i feel league is a bit like that. sure the way it's targeted is unfair and completely bias, but fact is people are ALWAYS talking about league. and it isn't going anywhere. it's survived this long u know?

also sassy and i were talking about the way league is so reviled by some sections of the media/population and the fact that it actually makes us more determined to love it and support it. i'm sure alot of fans are in the same boat.

Any publicity is good publicity. However, its also driving fans away from the game. Im not talking about the diehards of each club. They will always be there but the families who sometimes go to the game or the yuppies etc. Its removing the cool factor of league making it less of an event and more of a hobby.

Any publicity is good publicity. However, its also driving fans away from the game. Im not talking about the diehards of each club. They will always be there but the families who sometimes go to the game or the yuppies etc. Its removing the cool factor of league making it less of an event and more of a hobby.

Makes sense in theory, but in reality there's no evidence that it's happening... It certainly hasn't affected SOO as an event and Souths managed to sell out a Stadium in Perth.

The game has been contraversial and anti-establishment since day one in this country. I can't help but feel this is at least part of it's appeal.

Who is it driving away from the game?

Last time I looked, crowds were up on last year and so are TV ratings.

I agree with Kiki, the nonsense that has gone on this year over trivial/moral matters has strengthened the resolve of of Rugby League fans in general.

That and the fact that AFL is seen by most as a game for nancy boys...

Kiki

First Grade
Ppl say fans are being driven away but apart from a few bullsh*t comments on online articles I haven't seen any evidence of this.

Fact is, league will always be number one in qld and nsw and AFL ppl know that. And it galls them. Hence the bullsh*t articles.

League has alot of flaws but I would never and could never follow another code. I think most league fans feel the same.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,25847232-5003409,00.html

QRL says no evidence Maroons drank heavily or party drugs

Steve Ricketts | July 28, 2009 01:43pm

A QUEENSLAND Rugby League investigation has cleared the Maroons of misbehaviour, including party-drug use, before the third State of Origin match.

Queensland coach Mal Meninga and manager Steve Walters were at QRL headquarters today for an Origin debrief with managing director Ross Livermore.

Captain Darren Lockyer was co-incidentally at Suncorp Stadium and joined the discussions for a period.

Livermore said the QRL's investigation had "proved negative".

"The only thing we were able to substantiate was that two players were out longer than they should have been early in the camp and they have been spoken to about that," he said.

Livermore said there was "no evidence" that players had been out drinking on the Monday night or early Tuesday morning before Origin III at Suncorp Stadium on July 15.

He said there also was "no evidence" of any players "using illegal substances" in the camp. It has been claimed players were using a mixture of a sleeping medication and an energy drink to get quick "highs".

"We again ask that if anyone has any knowledge of anything like that happening to come forward," Livermore said.

so will Magnay now sit back and say it was a cover up seeing she said Thurston was guilty?

she should provide evidence to back up her claims and give it to the QRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah, it's always good management to ignore that players allegedly paid off rape victims, discredit people who say it happened, hide the names of drug cheats and ensure that negative press is held to a minimum even though the code is neck-deep in garbage.

You're a dickhead, anyone ever tell you that?

If you're typical of Perth based NRL fans, I hope to christ Perth never get an NRL side.

sado!

gottabegood

Juniors
Today they mentioned Jarryd Hayne and Phil Gould's article about him being the greatest player of any code.
So you would think a showing of at least one highlight of the many he has produced recently would be appropriate....but no...

They showed and discussed two incidents in the tigers game involving " a pre meditated elbow".

Outstanding work again ABC.

griff

Bench
Today they mentioned Jarryd Hayne and Phil Gould's article about him being the greatest player of any code.
So you would think a showing of at least one highlight of the many he has produced recently would be appropriate....but no...

They showed and discussed two incidents in the tigers game involving " a pre meditated elbow".

Yeah I couldn't believe that. I thought they would be showing a few chip and chases or 40/20s and then they showed a couple of incidents, which were the only mention of Friday's match.

Or to be more accurate I could believe it given Offsiders' track record.

Chook Norris

First Grade

I found that quite sickening as well. Same thing happened on the front page of the SMH (Sat).. instead of discussing his brilliance, half the page was taken up by his 'elbow' incident..

Brutus

Referee

Saw that as well. No vision of Hayne's brilliance or Benji's amazing flick pass, just replays of Jarryd's two elbows.

That show is a f**king joke.

Last edited:

Latest posts