What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offsiders

taipan

Referee
Missed the awfulsiders yesterday.
Who was on the panel,apart from AFL spin merchant Whately?John Stanley is one,but the other freaks?

Last Week

Bench
Sunday night didn't work previously, but if you can add in some international matches to be played and broadcast, it's not the same as 2001.

It could work, but the complaints last time wasn't about ratings, it's that League fans were bored with only the one game on the weekend.

Norths Tiger

Juniors
The merits (or not) of separate weekends for Origin aside, this is all about that Victorian Whately putting sh*t on our game (again).

They don't have Origin, it is a huge success in Victoriania, so he'll do anything he can to demean it.

LESStar58

Referee
Sunday night didn't work previously, but if you can add in some international matches to be played and broadcast, it's not the same as 2001.

It could work, but the complaints last time wasn't about ratings, it's that League fans were bored with only the one game on the weekend.

The argument for Prime Time on Sundays is a big positive IMO.

We talk so much about how much better the NRL GF does than the AFL counterparts because we are up against actual opposition and not reruns of Elvia movies so I think it makes sense to move it there.

I'm not fussed by players having to sit out and Storm have quite heavy representation as we know but the absense of the superstars is obviously a looming spectre over the quality of the home and away rounds.

LESStar58

Referee
Also remember that in 2001 Origin was still on delayed telecast in to the affiliated states. Its only been in the last 10 years that it gets the exposure Origin deserves.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I support the idea of putting the NRL comp on hold (id rather they did a solid 3-5 week off rather than stopping and starting, the interest in the NRL after a 5 week brake would be massive)

Having said that, we could keep Origin on Wednesday and still do the weeks off (the stadium will be packed regardless for the day, so it is just about eyes on TV which would probably be better on Wednesdays).

I hate having the NRL competing with Origin though. It makes the Club game look sub-standard and second rate. They shoudl each be allowed to prosper in their own right.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Also remember that in 2001 Origin was still on delayed telecast in to the affiliated states. Its only been in the last 10 years that it gets the exposure Origin deserves.

Actually, it's only in the last 10 years that 9 has realised that they need to show it nationally because the demand is there and they are being forced to pay market value for league.

LESStar58

Referee
Actually, it's only in the last 10 years that 9 has realised that they need to show it nationally because the demand is there and they are being forced to pay market value for league.

Yeah. Kinda what I was getting at but didn't think about the monetary value

Origin wasn't live here until 2008 and prior to that they selectively showed it live (game 3 2002, game 3 2006). In 2010 they showed game 3 delayed because it was a dead rubber.

LESStar58

Referee
Roy Masters was a machine this morning

Practically blew Caro, Big Nose and Ali out of the water before they could get the boot in about the alleged match fixing. Said that there was a 50-50 chance of this actually coming to fruition in so far as the police getting a conviction or players being banned for life.

Roy practically said people wanted this to be true and Ali/Big Nose said "i don't think anyone wants this to be true" to which Caro said "oh, he's just AFL bashing." Roy asked her if there were not people at AFL HQ crossing their fingers over this and Caro lisped "oh no. Not at all. They've spent millions on their integrity unit" and made out that this was a comcern for all sports.

The focus then shifted to Origin and Big Nose referred to it as "a game of tackle" and Roy said "well the Storm played last night and they're a Melbourne team so they play tackle in Melbourne. They play it in Auckland too. Did you know that? Or what about Townsville?"

Big Nose went on to deride it and after much discussion Roy simply said "just wait for the Brisbane game".

Easily Roys finest hour on that show.

Practically blew Caro, Big Nose and Ali out of the water before they could get the boot in about the alleged match fixing. Said that there was a 50-50 chance of this actually coming to fruition in so far as the police getting a conviction or players being banned for life.

Roy practically said people wanted this to be true and Ali/Big Nose said "i don't think anyone wants this to be true" to which Caro said "oh, he's just AFL bashing." Roy asked her if there were not people at AFL HQ crossing their fingers over this and Caro lisped "oh no. Not at all. They've spent millions on their integrity unit" and made out that this was a comcern for all sports.

The focus then shifted to Origin and Big Nose referred to it as "a game of tackle" and Roy said "well the Storm played last night and they're a Melbourne team so they play tackle in Melbourne. They play it in Auckland too. Did you know that? Or what about Townsville?"

Big Nose went on to deride it and after much discussion Roy simply said "just wait for the Brisbane game".

Caro lisped "Oh no, not at all. They've spent millions on their integrity unit" :lol: :lol:
Caro, integrity and the aFL shouldn't be spoken in the same sentence.
The constant fudging of crowd figures for the thuns and the midgets shows to me that fumbleball has no integrity.

LESStar58

Referee
Caro lisped "Oh no, not at all. They've spent millions on their integrity unit" :lol: :lol:
The constant fudging of crowd figures for the thuns and the midgets shows to me that fumbleball has no integrity.

And your constant regurgitation of the same old lines you have been coming up with since Adam was a boy show me that you have no wit or imagination.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I predict he wont be invited back for a while...

Headless Chook

Juniors

Roy was brilliant. It was like he completely anticipated the barrage of forthcoming scorn and went straight on the front foot. Poor old Carlotta had nothing.

some11

Referee
"well the Storm played last night and they're a Melbourne team so they play tackle in Melbourne. They play it in Auckland too. Did you know that? Or what about Townsville?"

:lol::lol:

I'm surprised they didn't retort with "Nauru!"

RoosTah

Juniors
Roy was great, but for all the crap people like to give Waleed, I liked how he stuck up for Origin and told off big nose for acting like it was "too commercial" or whatever bullshit he was trying to say. I also like the fact Waleed said he found the game a very "absorbing contest" - given that was a game more for the purists, it shows he has potential as a League man ;) .

Latest posts