What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh No!!

Tim Smith

Juniors
From the high of last nights excellent win to the team sheet v Newcastle that sees Reece Simmonds on the wing. Have we got such a dearth of wingers in the U 20's?

Cagey Mac

Bench
If Jennings plays origin they're likely to keep Hayne on the wing and release Morris for the game

Tim Smith

Juniors
I was hoping Cooper would be back and Stanley would partner Tagive on the wing. Simmonds is so far out of his depth out there on the wing and we are in for a torrid time on his wing.

Godz Illa

Coach
Reece was admirable last time. I enjoyed watching the little fella have a go. Hat trick this week and then he'll ride off into the sunset

God-King Dean

Immortal
SimmondsReece.jpg
SimmondsReece.jpg
SimmondsReece.jpg
SimmondsReece.jpg
SimmondsReece.jpg

ghostface

Juniors
Ol' Reece had a fair crack in the game against the tits. He was suspect under the highball but to his credit he had a few good kick returns.

ghostface

Juniors
He also looks exactly the same as when he left...I thought by now he would have completely lost his hair.

nrlnrl

First Grade
At last night's press conference Bennett mentioned that Cooper is a chance to be available for this weekend & Morris could be released from the SOO squad, so there might be a few changes.

Tim Smith

Juniors
I don't hate him I just don't think he is a first grade player...I was surprised by the comments on this forum leading into his first game; I remember him as a whole hearted tryer. After the game I could understand peoples reactions to his selection. I counted 4 errors he made in the first half and didn't think Bennett would go back to him. I hope he goes well but I am just saying on last outing we will be vulnerable out on his wing.

Minh

First Grade
I always cringed at the fact that we kept Simmons for so long during the Brown era, he was a standout player for Brown when he won the under 21 GF or something or rather. Coming into first grade with big wraps but could never quite cut it as a first grader, Brown had a soft spot for him I think to our detriment. Tried his little heart out and I hate to be critical of any player who wears the RED V. Anyway for the record I thought he went alright last time round filling in but I must admit I thought it was a gee up that he was named to play in the first place, let's hope he has one big game left in him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Reece Simmonds is a giant trapped in a midget's body.

He'll go fine and I'm predicting he'll score a ripper of a try.

What about the original question though? Are our options in the outside backs still that poor? We seem to be turning out forward after forward, but once we lose any more than two threequarters we're already shifting backrowers into the centre. Surely one of the Under 21s would be better than a full time miner who hasn't played properly in nearly four years.

And even if he doesn't play this weekend because we get Cooper and/or Morris back it still doesn't look all that great for the future. Who are the equivalents of Rein, De Belin, McKinnon, King and Merrin in the halves and the backs? I'd be hoping that Chase Stanley and Naiqama would be thought of as good squad players rather than the core of a first grade backline from 2012 onwards. Is there anyone coming through Harold Mathews?

Godz Illa

Coach
We've also got Nick Emmett out injured, alongside Bronx Goodwin and Peter Cronin.

But it's a fair enough question. I'd say it's because quality outside backs are at a premium in the NRL, and to have first grade quality depth at 3 or 4 players deep is a luxury not too many clubs have. Souths are reviving Matt King next year! Parra this year brought back Paul Whatuira and Chris Hicks - who were both unmitigated disasters. Shows how desperate the situation is.
So when you're developing young talent in that area, it's rare that they'll be willing to stick around as a second or third-stringer for very long. Kalifa Fai Fai Loa would have been very nice to keep in our back pocket this year, but he's playing wonderful in first grade on a weekly basis for the Cowboys. Be unfair to him really to hold him back behind our two international wingers.
I don't think the current Toyota Cup backs are in Kalifa's class (or Dean Whare's, who left a year earlier). Beneath them there may be a couple of possibles. Evander Cummins and another Stanley brother, Jamie

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
What about the original question though? Are our options in the outside backs still that poor? We seem to be turning out forward after forward, but once we lose any more than two threequarters we're already shifting backrowers into the centre.
Just in case you didn't realise, we do have Emmett, Goodwin and Cronin out injured.

Without those injuries, but with Cooper injured and Boyd, Morris and Gasnier in Origin (as in 4 of our first-choice back 5 all out), we would look like:

1. Goodwin
2. Tagive
3. Stanley
4. Emmett
5. Nightingale

Then add Cronin and McKinnon to the list, as well as Prior who can play in the centres (albeit poorly), and Scott too (but he's in Origin).

There's Nathan Green in the 20s but he is not ready yet.

Edit: I forgot Emmett!

Last edited:

Latest posts