What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old 1970's scrum Rules

Valheru

Coach
The restart after a penalty should be a scrum. That would make teams less likely to give penalties away in the red zone as they do now.

They would be more likely to give penalties away.

Not only do you get to reset your line but you get a 30 second break as well.

T-Boon

Coach
They would be more likely to give penalties away.

Not only do you get to reset your line but you get a 30 second break as well.

The whole idea of the scrum is that it is meant to bring space for the backs. I know it doesnt because coaches have goat f**ked that as well as everything else in the game.

Valheru

Coach
The whole idea of the scrum is that it is meant to bring space for the backs. I know it doesnt because coaches have goat f**ked that as well as everything else in the game.

Yeah i know. Even if they forced the teams to pack scrums as per position the coaches will still back their defence and appreciate the extra break.

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah i know. Even if they forced the teams to pack scrums as per position the coaches will still back their defence and appreciate the extra break.

You just give the attacking team the option of tap or scrum. I would pack a scrum anywhere outside the red zone. It is stupid that after a penalty the defense gets to set a straight wall of 12 men. The game needs to be looking for ways to break that straight wall as it is one of the things making the game boring.

ram raid

Bench
Never going to happen. It is one of the few times in a game where players and officials get their breath back and able to get their heart rates down. If you did, for safety reasons, they'd have to increase the interchange.

Yeah I've heard that argument. If that's the only reason to kee[p it around just give players a time out for 30 secs or a minute instead of scrums.

T-Boon

Coach
One of the main points of the scrum back in the day was because there was so many of them it basically meant the forwards had to stay around the ball ready to pack. So it kept the backs and forwards seperate to some degree.
Now we have the stupidity that players like Taumalolo ( or whoever)make a living out of running at half backs. Something needs to be done about that.

ram raid

Bench
One of the main points of the scrum back in the day was because there was so many of them it basically meant the forwards had to stay around the ball ready to pack. So it kept the backs and forwards seperate to some degree.
Now we have the stupidity that players like Taumalolo ( or whoever)make a living out of running at half backs. Something needs to be done about that.

I don't know what you can do about forwards running at little. It's part of the game. Halves have their minders in defence too.

T-Boon

Coach
I don't know what you can do about forwards running at little. It's part of the game. Halves have their minders in defence too.

It has become part of the game. I don't think it has always been that way. At least not anywhere near the extent it is now.

ram raid

Bench
It's always been there for as long as I can remember, although I don't go back that far. I mean it's just logic. If you were a coach who just learned the rules of the game your first bright idea would be get your big ben to run at their little men.

gitano

Juniors
I think people get nostalgic but forget how rubbish scrums were. They've got it right now. The team who makes a mistake deserves to give up possession and a 7 on 7 play is available, although rarely used.

LineBall

Juniors
I think people get nostalgic but forget how rubbish scrums were. They've got it right now. The team who makes a mistake deserves to give up possession and a 7 on 7 play is available, although rarely used.

I think people overstate how rubbish scrums were. They were packed, fed and over and done with in half the time they take today.

T-Boon

Coach
It's always been there for as long as I can remember, although I don't go back that far. I mean it's just logic. If you were a coach who just learned the rules of the game your first bright idea would be get your big ben to run at their little men.

I remember watching Sterlo in the 80s.
He made tackles but it was against guys roughly the same size as him. He rarely had to tackle a behemoth. Also, he spent a lot of the game playing as a sort of sweeper.
Also in those days a gutsy legs tackle (the type small players can make) was an effective tackle now it is an error. We have totally forced small guys out. That is one of the reasons we are losing ground to AFL.

ram raid

Bench
I remember watching Sterlo in the 80s.
He made tackles but it was against guys roughly the same size as him. He rarely had to tackle a behemoth. Also, he spent a lot of the game playing as a sort of sweeper.
Also in those days a gutsy legs tackle (the type small players can make) was an effective tackle now it is an error. We have totally forced small guys out. That is one of the reasons we are losing ground to AFL.

I don't see how you can say small guys have been forced out when there's so many small guys still playing. Small players aren't expected to tackle Fifita on their own. They are supposed to make contact and slow him down until help arrives. If they can't make the tackle noone's gonna blame them. The like of James Maloney miss 60 tackles a game, but they're not there for tackling. As for the legs tackling going out of the game that's a consequence of the current strategy to control the ruck. Chopping legs allows quick play the balls. You wan't players tackled on their back. The general lack of space for the halves is because of the interchange rules which allow for fully energised players on the field for most of the game. The way to solve that is to lower the interchange / make players tired-er. The problem with that though is the current HIA rules which are so easy to exploit. Coaches can get a free interchange anytime they want by faking a head knock. What are ya gonna do.

T-Boon

Coach
The way to solve that is to lower the interchange / make players tired-er. The problem with that though is the current HIA rules which are so easy to exploit. Coaches can get a free interchange anytime they want by faking a head knock. What are ya gonna do.

Create a two tier defensive line. Replace the 10metres with 15metres and the 2 markers with 4 "markers" who don't have to be square. So they can line up anywhere behind the advantage line and protect the area that the attack hasn't earned yet.

LineBall

Juniors
I don't see how you can say small guys have been forced out when there's so many small guys still playing. Small players aren't expected to tackle Fifita on their own. They are supposed to make contact and slow him down until help arrives. If they can't make the tackle noone's gonna blame them. The like of James Maloney miss 60 tackles a game, but they're not there for tackling. As for the legs tackling going out of the game that's a consequence of the current strategy to control the ruck. Chopping legs allows quick play the balls. You wan't players tackled on their back. The general lack of space for the halves is because of the interchange rules which allow for fully energised players on the field for most of the game. The way to solve that is to lower the interchange / make players tired-er. The problem with that though is the current HIA rules which are so easy to exploit. Coaches can get a free interchange anytime they want by faking a head knock. What are ya gonna do.

I'd like to see them go to 6 replacements rather than interchange. It would add to the fatigue factor and also the strategy as to when to replace certain players etc.