What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old 1970's scrum Rules

ram raid

Bench
I'd like to see them go to 6 replacements rather than interchange. It would add to the fatigue factor and also the strategy as to when to replace certain players etc.

That's not a bad idea, and might be the only way to stop the HIA rort. But then we're back to old ways of players not wanting to get checked for concussion. They brought in HIAs to save players from their own bravery. If players have to come off permanently because they might be concussed it's gonna put a lot of pressure on medical staff to get it right. It's a very messy issue and I really don't know what the right way to go about it is.

ram raid

Bench
I think people get nostalgic but forget how rubbish scrums were. They've got it right now. The team who makes a mistake deserves to give up possession and a 7 on 7 play is available, although rarely used.

Players absolutely hate having to train for scrums too. If you make scrums a strategic affair a la Union the forwards have to spend two hours every day training to push and rake and they want no part of it.

gitano

Juniors
The referee never fed the scrum.
images

unforgiven

Bench
I believe it was 19 dickety 2. People had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen the word 20.
After further research overnight, it appears that prior to 1920 the referee may have fed the scrum with the change to the scrum half feeding the scrum coming in the 1920 NSWRL season.

wibble

Bench
Rather than try to make scrums more of a contest, like in union, I'd be in favour of getting rid of them.

Actually, union would be better without scrums also (and with 13 a side, and field goals only worth 1 point, and...)

Scrums add nothing to the spectacle, and winning against the feed rewards a team for an error. Just hand the ball over on errors and get on with the game.

Or just place the ball at the lock's feet if you keep scrums to give the chance for a backline against a backline

ram raid

Bench
I'm with wibble. The whole reason for Rugby League was to take all the shit boring things out of Union for a better spectacle. Well scrums are one of those things. They serve absolutely no purpose. Like the human appendix - a useless evolutionary vestige.

LineBall

Juniors
Rather than try to make scrums more of a contest, like in union, I'd be in favour of getting rid of them.

Actually, union would be better without scrums also (and with 13 a side, and field goals only worth 1 point, and...)

Scrums add nothing to the spectacle, and winning against the feed rewards a team for an error. Just hand the ball over on errors and get on with the game.

Or just place the ball at the lock's feet if you keep scrums to give the chance for a backline against a backline

So essentially touch football - except you tackle.

wibble

Bench
So essentially touch football - except you tackle.

And kick (and on a bigger field, 13 a side, no dummy half special rules, can knock back...)

So more essentially, rugby league, without scrums. (Which add nothing to the game, and never have).

T-Boon

Coach
I'm with wibble. The whole reason for Rugby League was to take all the shit boring things out of Union for a better spectacle. Well scrums are one of those things.

Unfortunately so are tackles now (they are going back towards rugby ruck with bodies everywhere and the ball out of view for 10 seconds).

unforgiven

Bench
Pioneers of Rugby League written by Sean Fagan. In his book he lists the evolution of the rules of the game and states.
"1920 Scrum half required to roll ball into the scrum"

It is possible before 1920 that the referee completed that role.

I hope this is enough information for you or would you like the publisher of the book aswell?

ram raid

Bench
Unfortunately so are tackles now (they are going back towards rugby ruck with bodies everywhere and the ball out of view for 10 seconds).

Yes that's true but there's really no pint in complaining about things you can't change.