What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Farts Memories & Discussions

macnaz

Staff member
It's not a league thread macca. It's about yo yos, slug guns, memorabilia, rin tin tin, daffy duck v donald duck, grey nomads and anything else that triggers us ol farts brains.
We have other threads for just footy 👍
Well talk about all that crap then and not politics , you know what meant so no need to to be pedantic.

There’s plenty of politics on the eels forum if anyone wants to join in over there.

@horrie hastings has a lot of interesting stuff about the old days when he gets conversational. He’s a legend.

I met someone once and she spent a lot of her working life in the mail room at a department store in Sydney. She was in charge of sending clothes and gifts to country nsw. She loved it.

As a kid I had a job in the bank for a little while.

They were phasing out the money boxes and no one had any training in how to open full ones.

94B1377D-34C3-45D9-8E39-30DF582335D3.jpeg
Not this bank but similar style.

So the junior and I would take them out the back and pound and pound them until they looked like car wreck carnage, coins would spill everywhere.

We were very careful about collecting every coin no matter what for depositing.

When the kid wanted what he thought was his now empty money box back, we’d have to say it was bank policy to collect old ones and we’d order him a new one.

Some of the customers were not very nice, others were awesome.

We had a good security guard, he caught a bandit once just on suspicion and they found a big long knife.

You were not supposed to put yourself in danger but staff did it all the time. Just out of contempt and hatred of crooks.

Last edited:

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Just to get back on footy....

Pat Reilly, who was the coach of the LA Lakers once said "If I had to pick someone to take a shot to win the game I'd pick Michael Jordan, if I had to pick someone to take a shot to save my life, I'd pick Larry Bird."

So thinking back to goal kickers over the years, who'd be your pick to save your life?

It could be judged on stats but I've gone for El Masri, he had ice in his veins.

Any thoughts.....

Nutz

Bench
There’s plenty of politics on the eels forum if anyone wants to join in over there.

@horrie hastings has a lot of interesting stuff about the old days when he gets conversational. He’s a legend.

I met someone once and she spent a lot of her working life in the mail room at a department store in Sydney. She was in charge of sending clothes and gifts to country nsw. She loved it.

As a kid I had a job in the bank for a little while.

They were phasing out the money boxes and no one had any training in how to open full ones.

View attachment 80816
Not this bank but similar style.

So the junior and I would take them out the back and pound and pound them until they looked like car wreck carnage, coins would spill everywhere.

We were very careful about collecting every coin no matter what for depositing.

When the kid wanted what he thought was his now empty money box back, we’d have to say it was bank policy to collect old ones and we’d order him a new one.

Some of the customers were not very nice, others were awesome.

We had a good security guard, he caught a bandit once just on suspicion and they found a big long knife.

You were not supposed to put yourself in danger but staff did it all the time. Just out of contempt and hatred of crooks.
I've had my share of the Commonwealth Bank tin money boxes TSP. They're worth a whopping $20 on ebay now. Thanks for posting. The ol fashioned can opener did the trick come opening time but this guy obviously hasn't seen or heard of such a thing. Wrist slitting time...ouch! I couldn't watch the end.

Nutz

Bench

Pat Reilly, who was the coach of the LA Lakers once said "If I had to pick someone to take a shot to win the game I'd pick Michael Jordan, if I had to pick someone to take a shot to save my life, I'd pick Larry Bird."

So thinking back to goal kickers over the years, who'd be your pick to save your life?

It could be judged on stats but I've gone for El Masri, he had ice in his veins.

Any thoughts.....
Len Killeen was good to watch...south african as I can recall.
Keith Barnes, Eric Simms were good.
Hazem El-Masri as you said was deadly accurate.
I've had the pleasure to have played against Michael O'Connor and he was a freak. A complete football player and handy goal kicker.
I remember his conversion from the sidelines in 1991 SOO. It was wet and muddy and the old leather ball was like a heavy medicine ball. He curled it in from the right the keep the series alive.
Everyone remembers Hazem El Masri kicking a sideline conversion after the final siren to win the game for the Bulldogs against Newcastle, in Newcastle. The emotion of that day was the fact that the Bulldogs were down 19-0 at one stage in that match, yet Hazem's kick secured them a 22-21 victory.
Another clutch kicker was Daryl Halligan. Remember in the last minute of the preliminary final against Parramatta he kicks a goal to send the game into extra time. If he missed, the Bulldogs' season was over. They went on to win that game and qualify for the grand final the following week.
I remember Johnathan Thurston's had a conversion attempt from the sideline after the final siren and it should have gone over but he kick the winning FG moments later. He is always in the game.
I think to answer your question, big moments need players who can get it done regardless of his career percentages so I'm going with Thurston simply because he gives me confidence that he'll slot it over. I'd be contented having him kick to save my life.

Tigerm

Coach

Any thoughts.....
Keith Barnes was a legend, I'd pick him.

I would chose Brooksy to play like a rookie for 5 seasons for $1m a season.

Remember when Tim started standing up for him?

Weeks and weeks of Brooksy propaganda, until we were all dreaming of him missing kicks and knocking the ball on.

That was another crap decision from Tim.

We told him Brooksy was gone before he arrived and he didn’t listen to us.

Nutz

Bench
Keith Barnes was a legend, I'd pick him.
A Toe poker from Port Talbot, Wales.
You don't get to be named Golden Boots for nothing hey.
Can you remember after his playing days he became a referee and later co-commentated on the Amco Cup on Network Ten with Ray Warren in the 1970s. I loved those comps, Balmain were pretty successful in them.

Last edited:
Can you remember after his playing days he became a referee and later co-commentated on the Amco Cup on Network Ten with Ray Warren in the 1970s. I loved those comps, Balmain were pretty successful in them. Unsure about Wests??
Played out of LO?

Tigerm

Coach
Can you remember after his playing days he became a referee and later co-commentated on the Amco Cup on Network Ten with Ray Warren in the 1970s. I loved those comps, Balmain were pretty successful in them. Unsure about Wests??
He was the boss at the Balmain LC when I worked there for a few years, didn't have anything to do with him, but yeah, "old Golden Boots" was the man. Was only a stick figure of a bloke, but tough as anything.

I didn't see it, but there was a story that he kicked a goal from the opposition try line. i.e 180 degree kick, don't know if it was true though?

Nutz

Bench
Played out of LO?
Yes mate, did you or anyone go to them.
Hollywood Hartley refereed the tigers win over the bears in '76, 21,00 fans.
The tigers had that tall big fullback Allan McMahon, man he could punt the bladder out of the footy.
Neil Pringle, Warren Boland, Brian Lockwood (pommy legend) to name a few.
Wests won in '77 beating the chooks in a high scoring game 6-5 led by our little legend Tommy.

Nutz

Bench
He was the boss at the Balmain LC when I worked there for a few years, didn't have anything to do with him, but yeah, "old Golden Boots" was the man. Was only a stick figure of a bloke, but tough as anything.

I didn't see it, but there was a story that he kicked a goal from the opposition try line. i.e 180 degree kick, don't know if it was true though?
I do recall him kicking ahuge long range kick.
What about the first around the corner kickers.
John Gray the pommy would go close to being the first wouldn't he? Lockwood kicked around the corner too I think and he had the ball upright.

Nutz

Bench
Can anyone recall who the Balmain player in this photo who is being set upon by "Hollywood Hartley"
53ae661d485c634c9d9939958c7aa852.jpg

Latest posts