What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Farts Memories & Discussions

Nutz

Bench
Norm Proven, ffs there’s a legend of a bloke.

They said he was a better man than he was a player.

If I could meet passed away players, he’d be in my top 5.

Ffs Nutz, you should be a mod.

Two of my sisters went to north Sydney girls.
Your sister isn't named Samantha by any chance ha ha.
We used to get to school a bit earlier so us lads could watch the girls get off the buses....animals.. ha ha.
What school did you go to TSP? Any yarns?

Your sister isn't named Samantha by any chance ha ha.
We used to get to school a bit earlier so us lads could watch the girls get off the buses....animals.. ha ha.
What school did you go to TSP? Any yarns?
No Samantha’s amongst the 4 girls -so you are not my brother in law!!

I also went to a public high school

Played rugby, water polo, many tales.

Moved west. I am a card carrying Ugg booted Flanno wearing Westie these days.

I can now Mind-meld with our forum smuggy friends @soc123_au and @Kilkenny.

I miss your quirky war and peace novels, very good TSP. You tend to think deeply to what you write,.,I just ramble and entertain myself :)

Thanks. I like your posts too.

I chuck some things out there without following any party line.

Im happy to change my mind and be corrected. Doesn’t worry me.

Nutz

Bench
Thanks. I like your posts too.

I chuck some things out there without following any party line.

Im happy to change my mind and be corrected. Doesn’t worry me.
Cheers mate.
Being a memories thread I thought about how far we have come as a tru one nation. I just came back from voting, in fact I was texting you in the line up ha ha.
I was thinking (as a 65yr old) of when I was a kid living in the country and I didn't mix with koori lads.
There was still segregation in the pubs where they were banned and mum wouldn't allow us to play with them either.
I really was ignorant to the fact that we were segregated.
Since coming to the city I gradually connected with them mainly through footy.
Looking back and now forward I can see real change thru education.
A lot of Aboriginal kids are being taught right now in learning centres where teachers only speach English....Now that's a big issue right there.

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
Cheers mate.
Being a memories thread I thought about how far we have come as a tru one nation. I just came back from voting, in fact I was texting you in the line up ha ha.
I was thinking (as a 65yr old) of when I was a kid living in the country and I didn't mix with koori lads.
There was still segregation in the pubs where they were banned and mum wouldn't allow us to play with them either.
I really was ignorant to the fact that we were segregated.
Since coming to the city I gradually connected with them mainly through footy.
Looking back and now forward I can see real change thru education.
A lot of Aboriginal kids are being taught right now in learning centres where teachers only speach English....Now that's a big issue right there.
If anyone wants to speak there own language at home or family events, imo, that’s fine, but if they want to get on in life in whichever country they live, they need to speak the major language of that country or they will never get very far. Sad, but the truth.

If anyone wants to speak there own language at home or family events, imo, that’s fine, but if they want to get on in life in whichever country they live, they need to speak the major language of that country or they will never get very far. Sad, but the truth.
I disagree, but I’m doing some fencing at the moment. Not with a sword mind you lol.

I know some wealthy people… their English is f**ked lol.

They muddled through with hard work brother.

But they can speak it and understand it enough to get by.
Not really, they get help for my at things because their lives are still immersed in their own cultural thing.

They run a tourist thing.

A lot of immigrants just follow their own culture stuff. That’s how it be.

But they trust and love Australia, their kids are here.

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
Not really, they get help for my at things because their lives are still immersed in their own cultural thing.

They run a tourist thin

A lot of immigrants just follow their own culture stuff. That’s how it be.

But they trust and love Australia, their kids are here.
Your post isn’t making a lot of sense.
But we were talking about aboriginal kids and even a non English speaking migrant has to have an understanding of the way this country works even if it is a family member helping them. Eg: you need to work to the countries standards.
Not talking about current successful businesses or corporations, but someone doing a start up.

Nutz

Bench
My post was misconstrued I think. What I was trying to say is Aboriginal children in outback settlements can't understand English as it's not their traditional language and the translation is not helped by the fact the kids don't get help from home.
A very good friend of mine is an Aboriginal Liaison officer and he said it's a huge problem with kids. They are litterally are in never never land with no role models.
They take the easy way out by taking to the streets and go walkabout.
We still take the approach of "if you can't see them there's no problem"
All this sounds very racist but I'm telling you how it is.
I've got several indigenous cousins on mum's side and they are lost, seriously.
I mentioned education before. The lack thereof developes all sorts of problems like intolerance and racism, disrespect and in some countries war.
As this is a memories thread I'll say how I used to love having my mate and his young family over to sing and dance for us. They were great days. I must reach out again cause I've lost touch with them :(

back to league stuff guys👍🏻
ok.

Well I didn’t support the Tigers or the Magpies.

The only club I’ve supported is the Wests Tigers.

Because it represented my values.

I suppose I’m one of the “good time Charlie’s”

I’m still waiting for good times and my name isn’t Charlie.

But it is what it is.

How amazing was it to beat smug in Bathurst?

I said to them, they were lucky they weren’t playing us in the grand final.

And I love to visit the SGI forum, great bunch of guys. But still divided to an extent on party lines. Lots of context to that, Im not criticising any of them. They deserve their premierships back.

Whereas as fans, I think we cling to each other a bit more. Probably more frightened!

We are long overdue for upswing. I’m very excited about Fultons efforts.

I’d like to see us reach 9th before I fall off the perch.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
And I love to visit the SGI forum, great bunch of guys.
I thought after meeting them in prelim (the real grand final)these two teams could dominate last decade. 80,000 finals crowd, new fans like yourself plus the old 4 supporters bases and a big junior nursery. Damn things fell away quickly. I belong with you old coots reminiscing about better days.

Last edited:
I thought after meeting them in prelim (the real grand final)these two teams could dominate last decade. 80,000 finals crowd, new fans like yourself plus the old 4 supporters bases and a big junior nursery. Damn things fell away quickly. I belong with you old coots reminiscing about better days.
Mum was a Balmain girl and her family. Staunch supporters. Plus we had relatives play for the Balmain tigers.

So I’ve got all that to unpack and put on the table. That’s bloodline I suppose.

Like unfinished business.

All said and done, with all this high drama, incompetence, arrogance, greed, dodgyness and tragedy, this has still been an enigmatic and exciting club to follow.

I’ve got my Tigers jersey, got my fat pussy Avatar ( gifted from an eels fan), but that’s who I support.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
back to league stuff guys👍🏻
It's not a league thread macca. It's about yo yos, slug guns, memorabilia, rin tin tin, daffy duck v donald duck, grey nomads and anything else that triggers us ol farts brains.
We have other threads for just footy 👍

Nutz

Bench
Like sand through the hour glass axl.

Nutz

Bench
Friday nights...Bonanza and "Sing along with Mitch"
And a tip for the youngnz of today...if we needed some money we didn't bug our hardworking parents...we made our own after school by going out and robbing a hardworking paperboy !

Just kidding :)
So it was you that gave us paperboys a hard time Das.
I was smart and got a pushbike and did the chemist runs, gee that paid well....$4 a week plus tips from all the ol grannies! The milk run was the best however for tips and at Christmas the owners would often leave goodies on the steps for us.

Latest posts