What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

old rugby league games on vhs/dvd

Jayi77

Juniors
Hello I am after some tricky ones
1985 roosters v penrith Rd 26 abc version
1985 grand final abc version
1986 city v country
1986 res grand final
1990 res grandfinal cheers

horrie hastings

First Grade
There are some matches i remember being at years ago that i would love to see again.

St George vs Easts at Kogarah 1980, after an ordinary start to the season Easts were just starting to find a bit of form but i remember a horrible mix up between Ian Schubert and Kerry Boustead that lead to a try for Steve Morris, i think Tony Trudgett's try came off an East error also but Noel Cleal and Barry Andrews scored great tries for Easts and the game ended in a draw.

St George vs Easts at Kogarah 1982, Saints led 15-9 with 11 minutes to go but Easts came roaring back with 3 tries to win 22-15.

Penrith vs Easts 1983 at Penrith Park-Kevin Hastings and Marty Gurr gave a Penrith a masterclass in torrential rain to win 17-0.

Penrith vs Easts 1987 at Penrith Park - Tony Melrose kick a 45 mtr field goal to give Easts a one point win.

Both the St George vs Roosters games were on Saturdays so would have been televised, the games against Penrith were Sundays and weren't televised but would love to see those games again after being at them live.

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
I would love get my hands on St George v Sharks of the early 80s first time I went to Jubilee, what an experience the Sharks beat them that day but what I do remeber from the game is the blood that was rushing down Craig Young’s face.

siv

First Grade
Surprised we cant watch full length games from 1997 to 2009. All of these games should be available

Also would love to see more games the 1963 to 79 pre VHS archives

Or how many games were filmed before this

Surprised that the 69 GF is not available as a full replay

There are some matches i remember being at years ago that i would love to see again.

St George vs Easts at Kogarah 1980, after an ordinary start to the season Easts were just starting to find a bit of form but i remember a horrible mix up between Ian Schubert and Kerry Boustead that lead to a try for Steve Morris, i think Tony Trudgett's try came off an East error also but Noel Cleal and Barry Andrews scored great tries for Easts and the game ended in a draw.

St George vs Easts at Kogarah 1982, Saints led 15-9 with 11 minutes to go but Easts came roaring back with 3 tries to win 22-15.

Penrith vs Easts 1983 at Penrith Park-Kevin Hastings and Marty Gurr gave a Penrith a masterclass in torrential rain to win 17-0.

Penrith vs Easts 1987 at Penrith Park - Tony Melrose kick a 45 mtr field goal to give Easts a one point win.

Both the St George vs Roosters games were on Saturdays so would have been televised, the games against Penrith were Sundays and weren't televised but would love to see those games again after being at them live.
Easts v Cronulla at Henson 1987 is another game worth getting a hold of. Easts winning a very entertaining match despite having a player sent off.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Easts v Cronulla at Henson 1987 is another game worth getting a hold of. Easts winning a very entertaining match despite having a player sent off.

Yes have a copy of that game, Wayne Challis was sent off, Easts won 24-22. That was the second game at Henson where David Smith had pressure conversions to win the match ( the other was against Canterbury a couple of weeks earlier )

horrie hastings

First Grade

Another great game to watch is Cronulla vs Easts at Endeavour in 1987, Joe Lydon where he blasts through from dummy half then side steps to score one of the best tries ever, Craig Salvatori's first grade debut and also scores a try to get them back in the match and Steve Morris bagged a double. Easts had some great but heart stopping wins in 1987.

Yes have a copy of that game, Wayne Challis was sent off, Easts won 24-22. That was the second game at Henson where David Smith had pressure conversions to win the match ( the other was against Canterbury a couple of weeks earlier )
Try conversion to win the match from the sideline after the full time siren, yeh? Went through a pack of Winnies in that game. Ran to the mound where Smith converted and poured some of the sand in my ciggies pack for a souvenir. Didn’t take all of it cos some kids wanted to attempt some kicks from it. I’m such a dickhead lol.

I sat on the bench seats on the fence, SE end.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Cronulla vs Easts at Endeavour 1987.

Joe Lydon's stunning try, Mark McGaw's try wasn't to shabby either, Steve Morris grabbing a double and Craig Salvatori's first grade debut with a try and also a great set up for Morris's second try. What a game to be at.

robmac

Juniors
Hello I am after some tricky ones
1985 roosters v penrith Rd 26 abc version
1985 grand final abc version
1986 city v country
1986 res grand final
1990 res grandfinal cheers
Hi mate. I have 1986 City v Country if you still want it. Rob

Reflector

Juniors

The Roosters in the 80's are one of those "What could've been" stories.

In an alternate universe, they easily could have ended the decade with 3 Premierships (1981-82 and '87)

Generalzod

Immortal
I would love get my hands on St George v Sharks of the early 80s first time I went to Jubilee, what an experience the Sharks beat them that day but what I do remeber from the game is the blood that was rushing down Craig Young’s face.
Also it was the day i met skull for the first time...come up to me and asked who I was going for? I was just a kid.
St George supporters were telling him to get lost....

Reflector

Juniors
Also it was the day i met skull for the first time...come up to me and asked who I was going for? I was just a kid.
St George supporters were telling him to get lost....
Good old Skull-

Like Bubbles from 'Trailer Park Boys' if he was a skinhead whose hobby was supporting St George instead of looking after kittens...

horrie hastings

First Grade
The Roosters in the 80's are one of those "What could've been" stories.

In an alternate universe, they easily could have ended the decade with 3 Premierships (1981-82 and '87)

1981 was the biggest disappointment , after being the dominant team for most of the season, they seemed to peak in the second last premiership round where they beat Parramatta convincingly then lost to West in the final premiership round, still as minor premiers they had the week off then seemed underdone when they lost to Parramatta in extra time in the major semi final then lost to Newtown in the final, very disappointing as they should have gone one up on their Grand Final loss from 1980. Yes 1980, 81, 82 should have possibly delivered at least one premiership, possibly two maybe three but ended up a big fat zero.

1987 was such a fun ride to be on, totally unexpected after a few ordinary years, so many close finishes including both two 1 pt wins over Norths, two 2 point wins over Canterbury (3 if you count the Panasonic cup game ), a 2 point and a 4 point win over Cronulla , a 1 point win over Penrith and a draw against Balmain. Then was one of the toughest semis i have ever seen between Manly and Easts, it came down to the last man standing as Manly narrowly defeated Easts, both teams were battered but Manly had the week off to lick their wounds and the Roosters went in battered against Canberra and got over run, it was a sad end to a great season.

1981 was the biggest disappointment , after being the dominant team for most of the season, they seemed to peak in the second last premiership round where they beat Parramatta convincingly then lost to West in the final premiership round, still as minor premiers they had the week off then seemed underdone when they lost to Parramatta in extra time in the major semi final then lost to Newtown in the final, very disappointing as they should have gone one up on their Grand Final loss from 1980. Yes 1980, 81, 82 should have possibly delivered at least one premiership, possibly two maybe three but ended up a big fat zero.

1987 was such a fun ride to be on, totally unexpected after a few ordinary years, so many close finishes including both two 1 pt wins over Norths, two 2 point wins over Canterbury (3 if you count the Panasonic cup game ), a 2 point and a 4 point win over Cronulla , a 1 point win over Penrith and a draw against Balmain. Then was one of the toughest semis i have ever seen between Manly and Easts, it came down to the last man standing as Manly narrowly defeated Easts, both teams were battered but Manly had the week off to lick their wounds and the Roosters went in battered against Canberra and got over run, it was a sad end to a great season.

Of that 1987 Major Semi-Final, even the Manly players said it was one of the toughest matches they ever played in. Just about everyone reckoned whichever team won that would go on and win the GF, whilst the loser were likely to be so battered that they'd lose to the Raiders. The pundits turned out to be so right for that couple of weeks.

Latest posts