What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One to watch: Jason Saab

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The rumours of Saab wanting out just won't go away, even after the supposed agreement to revisit it after the seasons end.

There is no doubt the kid has potential, however, I feel there are others in our squad that would jump at the opportunity for a first grade spot. Although he played better yesterday, I didn't see enough to say your a permanent starter and with Rava basically tieing down the right wing spot, the only open posirion is left wing, where JP is really the incumbent, but also players like Williame can play effectively as well.

I can't see any point in continuing to pander to Saab, if he's mentally elsewhere. Personally, I'd give one of the Feagai boys an opportunity next week before JP or Williame are available.

TruSaint

Referee
How good is Lomax!!??!!

tenor.gif

dragon thomo

Juniors
I would do a player swap with Saab now.
We could regret it, but he doesnt really excite me much.
For a tall player he is crap u der the high ball.
Also i agree he is tentative to take a hit

RedVDragon

Juniors
Saab can stay home an cry. Grow up baby put your dummy and bib on and go away. You are too soft for first grade.

Wittenberg

Juniors
I have been critical of the tendency of many of us on this Forum, myself included, to loudly chant the name of the new gun / messiah and place huge expectations on them, only to write them off if they do not immediately morph into the player we think they could be. I was the same with Saab. I was so fed up with our outside backs and Mary’s refusal to try anything or anybody new, so I saw Saab as the new saviour. I was disappointed in him last week and he made some of the same mistakes against the Dogs BUT in the last fifteen minutes he showed some really good signs. He moved in field to cover Dufty’s size and defused two bombs in the middle. He showed good speed to get to Hunt’s kick even though he did not score, and some of his runs through the middle in the last ten minutes took pressure off our forwards and he was hard to bring down. No I think I saw glimpses of why other clubs will chase him. He might hate travelling from Greystanes to Wollongong every day, his manager might be the issue, or other players from other clubs may always be in his ear, or he simply feels Mary would not give him the same opportunities he might get elsewhere. Any one of these reasons may or may not be in play with Saab and his future but he will be a good winger for someone. I saw enough to think, given time, he might be very good.

possm

Coach
The rumours of Saab wanting out just won't go away, even after the supposed agreement to revisit it after the seasons end.

There is no doubt the kid has potential, however, I feel there are others in our squad that would jump at the opportunity for a first- grade spot. Although he played better yesterday, I didn't see enough to say your a permanent starter and with Rava basically tieing down the right wing spot, the only open posirion is left wing, where JP is really the incumbent, but also players like Williame can play effectively as well.

I can't see any point in continuing to pander to Saab, if he's mentally elsewhere. Personally, I'd give one of the Feagai boys an opportunity next week before JP or Williame are available.
The challenge is for our coaching staff and our retention people to assist with a change of attitude. Saab is a very skilled but green first-grade winger who will develop into one of the form wingers of the competition in 2021. People outside the club are in his ear to move onto greener pastures, however, with Flanagan on board, Saab could not have a better opportunity to improve his game and hold on to his spot on the wing.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
he is an Ungrateful shit, no one else in comp even considered taking him on, now he is developing a bit and dint get a game he spits the dummy, he may develop further but I dont see him going a long way, we better players in a our system, just let him rot for the rest of the season.

St Tangles

Bench
Will be a gun as his confidence in his size improves

Who can really blame young players from feeling the way he does about our club

Rookies get crucified and dropped if they make a mistake

Incumbents get away with bad plays

When Mary goes and a coach comes in that trusts the juniors coming through you will see less timid debutants

Crush

Coach
Will be a gun as his confidence in his size improves

Who can really blame young players from feeling the way he does about our club

Rookies get crucified and dropped if they make a mistake

Incumbents get away with bad plays

When Mary goes and a coach comes in that trusts the juniors coming through you will see less timid debutants
I agree Saab will likely be a fantastic player one day, thats why the club signed him until 2022.
Your post kind of makes out that we should feel sorry for him or something?
If he didn't think that SGI was the right fit for him then he shouldn't have signed a long term contract.
My opinion is this, sign a contract and honour it. Simple as that.
The club is forced to pay players when they are injured, suspended, on trial, etc etc etc.
Yet the players aren't prepared to stick by the club that signed them on the mutually agreed contract. Everything is in the players favour.
Its frustrating.

hazzbeen

Bench
I agree Saab will likely be a fantastic player one day, thats why the club signed him until 2022.
If he didn't think that SGI was the right fit for him then he shouldn't have signed a long term contract.
The club is forced to pay players when they are injured, suspended, on trial, etc etc etc.
Yet the players aren't prepared to stick by the club that signed them on the mutually agreed contract. Everything is in the players favour.
Its frustrating.
He needs a bit more game time in top grade , he is one of those players that it will click with him and the aggression to attack the ball will come ..... Let's give him a few more games before we kick him in the teeth .... But in saying that do you keep him around if he doesn't want to be , not sure .....

ALSGI

Bench
I have been critical of the tendency of many of us on this Forum, myself included, to loudly chant the name of the new gun / messiah and place huge expectations on them, only to write them off if they do not immediately morph into the player we think they could be. I was the same with Saab. I was so fed up with our outside backs and Mary’s refusal to try anything or anybody new, so I saw Saab as the new saviour. I was disappointed in him last week and he made some of the same mistakes against the Dogs BUT in the last fifteen minutes he showed some really good signs. He moved in field to cover Dufty’s size and defused two bombs in the middle. He showed good speed to get to Hunt’s kick even though he did not score, and some of his runs through the middle in the last ten minutes took pressure off our forwards and he was hard to bring down. No I think I saw glimpses of why other clubs will chase him. He might hate travelling from Greystanes to Wollongong every day, his manager might be the issue, or other players from other clubs may always be in his ear, or he simply feels Mary would not give him the same opportunities he might get elsewhere. Any one of these reasons may or may not be in play with Saab and his future but he will be a good winger for someone. I saw enough to think, given time, he might be very good.
Well said.

Not very impressed by Saab, a bit soft and uncoordinated. Will never be in the class of some of the top wingers in the NRL I notice he he is slow when having to turn, which is often a problem for very tall players in many sports.

TruSaint

Referee
He needs a bit more game time in top grade , he is one of those players that it will click with him and the aggression to attack the ball will come ..... Let's give him a few more games before we kick him in the teeth .... But in saying that do you keep him around if he doesn't want to be , not sure .....

Im all for giving him a little more time.
Problem is, either he or his manager make it impossible to offer such with the constant rambling about travel.

As @Crush said, he signed an extension knowing full well the lay of the land, with both coach and travel.

If he is hell bent on leaving, then give another kid a go, and let him leave.

The travel / JV issue was around before the lad was born. I know we are down at the minute, but taking a stand with disgruntled players would do the team more good than harm.

St Tangles

Bench
Its frustrating.

No I don't think we should feel sorry for him

I'd say like most of the younger players and fans his frustrated with our coach

With our club taking no action on the coach it wears them down and no doubt he has his manager in his ear

It's up to the club what they do with him they do not have to release him at all

What I was saying as I can see why some of the younger players are getting frustrated that is all

Who also knows what he was promised when he signed on the dotted line

Crush

Coach

With our club taking no action on the coach it wears them down and no doubt he has his manager in his ear

It's up to the club what they do with him they do not have to release him at all

What I was saying as I can see why some of the younger players are getting frustrated that is all

Fair enough.
I think Jason should look closely at Zac. Similar age.
Zac is now doing very well, long term contract, seems happy.
If Jason stayed with us until he completed his contract he could be an integral member of the starting 1st grade team, like Zac.

TruSaint

Referee

Mary was coach when he re-signed.
His defence ends there. If his manager spoke out of line about a new coach coming then that's on his manager.

Like you I want Mary gone. Heck, Green / Pay / Kearny and soon Seibold are all on the scrapheap, but I am tiring of young players inking deals and then wishing to walk out on them.

By the way, there is no guarantee that a new coach will assure him of a spot, as we have no idea of who that may be.

He should get to work, earn his spot, keep it and stop whining.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This wreaks of a kid being tapped up by another club to leave as he only just signed a long term contract last year and he would have known about the travel back then. It is all crap. The Manager has had a better offer from another club and is trying to get Saab to get out of this one so he can get more $$.