What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One to watch: Jason Saab

The calm one

Juniors
Ungrateful whining little sod ! Why in my day when I was young I had to walk a good 2 mile on a dirt road so as to get a ride on Cyril’s horse ( and we had no flaming saddle neither ) that then took us the best part of an hour ( on Wednesday an hour and a half as we stopped at the creek to have our weekly wash - with Sunlight soap of course ) just to get to school . And nobody was paying us a damn penny to do it , but we done it as we as we knew that was the unly wey to bacume edewkated !

However back to Saab , a most disappointing attitude. There is more at play here than meets the eye , I would love to know just how much - or what Manly are offering him to pull on their jersey.

If this young bloke was truly genuine then he would at least give Griffin a chance as he would certainly develop into a far better player than he would had under Mary .
I said similar things four months ago. But according to some here, I was picking on humans I had no idea what was going on. Owen was not amused

The calm one

Juniors
NRL 2020: Jason Saab publicly accuses St George Illawarra of release backflip amid stalemate

Sporting News
3 hrs ago

Towering winger Jason Saab has gone public in his bid to force St George Illawarra’s hand and secure a release from the final season of his Dragons deal.

The young gun has been negotiating an early release from his Red V contract for several months.

Saab managed just four appearances for the Dragons in 2020, taking his career tally to seven NRL games since making his debut late in the 2019 season.

The 20-year-old has cited his 90-minute commute from western Sydney to Wollongong – not a lack of game time – as his motivation for seeking a release on compassionate grounds.

Saab was in September reportedly set to join the Manly Sea Eagles for the next three NRL seasons in a swap deal that would have sent Dragons junior Reuben Garrick home to Wollongong.

But a clearly frustrated Saab on Thursday told Channel 9 News the Dragons have backflipped on plans to release him following the appointment of new head coach Anthony Griffin on a two-year deal.

“What was meant to be max a two-month process has just dragged out over the whole year,” Saab told Channel 9 News.

“… I am hoping to move onto another club next year.

“… The Dragons want to be compensated for me so, we’ve been trying to do that and then ever since the new coach came in things have sort of changed on their end.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...f-release-backflip-amid-stalemate/ar-BB1aw1Da
I will re write this in 5 lines.
Pop gun sook, Jason and his sleazy manager have found him a better deal somewhere else and is making up lame arse excuses to leave. Jason you are in the big world now, get to like it

possm

Coach
It is all too simple. Saab has a contract and if he and his manager/father want to break it, the remaining value of the contract must be paid as compensation. A reserve grade wing sport or a spot in the Illawarra competition will be reserved for Saab until the end of the contract.

This whole idea that contracts are not worth the paper they're written on needs to be shut down.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I hope you're referring to whoever at Fox it was that wrote the story and headline. They've printed 3 supposed quotes from Saab in that story and both look like just facts, no whinging or whining, Fox added the rest to make a big story. The kid's probably a bit frustrated anyway which is understandable if Dragons have actually done a backflip. Fox are 90% bs at the best of times.
The kid needs to grow up. He signed a contract and we obviously couldn’t let him go this year due to the COVID situation and smaller squad meaning we need backup. We now have a new coach and obviously the club will have wanted him to at least meet Hook to see if this is the real issue, as travel isn’t because Manly isn’t exactly on his doorstep. He’s a talent so he’s going to be signed. The off season hasn’t even started yet so I’m sure they are trying to make it happen before then but in fairness to us we signed him when no one else did and developed him to this point which I’m sure cost a tonne of money of which we don’t get to enjoy the fruits of. We are entitled to a player swap or compensation and behind the scenes who’s to say Manly are not the ones playing hardball? I’m sure we will let him go as soon as we receive compensation. If one of our rivals is playing hardball why should we help them with nothing in return? If they want him and value him as much as he believes they do they would move mountains to pay it.

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
Pop gun sook, Jason and his sleazy manager have found him a better deal somewhere else and is making up lame arse excuses to leave. Jason you are in the big world now, get to like it
If there’s been a backflip since Hook was signed as the article suggests and it’s an indication of Hooks disciplinary approach then great, fully supported.

Who the f**k does this kid and his Manager think they are?

Honestly, between Korbin saying it was hard to get motivated and now this precious twit it’s a joke. Some of these blokes need to get a f**king real job.

Hook and our CEO have a job to do with the culture and I hope they’re hard, fair and relentless in our 100th season.

The calm one

Juniors
If there’s been a backflip since Hook was signed as the article suggests and it’s an indication of Hooks disciplinary approach then great, fully supported.

Who the f**k does this kid and his Manager think they are?

Honestly, between Korbin saying it was hard to get motivated and now this precious twit it’s a joke. Some of these blokes need to get a f**king real job.

Hook and our CEO have a job to do with the culture and I hope they’re hard, fair and relentless in our 100th season.
Great post. Owen is impressed

Gareth67

First Grade
I suppose the real question here is just who was it that put Saab up to this public announcement ? Did he contact 9 News himself , was it a brainstorm of his money hungry manager or Lord forbid did Dessie the Hazler come up with the idea ?

Whatever the case may be the Dragons DID act in good faith and were quite prepared to release Saab to Manly for a player in return - plus compensation.

The deal fell through , therefore you cannot blame the Dragons for not attempting to fulfill Saab’s request . At that point Saab should had thanked the Joint Venture for their efforts , even although they failed to deliver the desired results .

And lastly and most importantly the young man IS under CONTRACT TO THE DRAGONS :dragon: therefore he should take the bit between his teeth and say “ Well it did not work out so I will give my all to the team and new coach to prove that I am indeed a talented player “ - or words to that effect .

As possum and other have already pointed out aNRL contract nowadays would be better used in the dunny as that is about all that it is worth . The quicker that Vlandy sets up his so-called NRL accredited agents the better . As far as I am concern the damn lot of the bloodsuckers should be booted out to the nearest swamp - not our own as they may run into Muzby or OT .

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
I said similar things four months ago. But according to some here, I was picking on humans I had no idea what was going on. Owen was not amused

Well this latest episode - the announcement on 9 certainly shows that you were on the right track.
Say hello to Owen for me Master and here is a little something to help soothe Owens nerves .
6B8E73F5-1671-4DED-8BBD-A8DD0D0399B5.jpeg

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
I hope you're referring to whoever at Fox it was that wrote the story and headline. They've printed 3 supposed quotes from Saab in that story and both look like just facts, no whinging or whining, Fox added the rest to make a big story. The kid's probably a bit frustrated anyway which is understandable if Dragons have actually done a backflip. Fox are 90% bs at the best of times.
100% correct. There is more to his family story that people on here know
Perceptions and media spin do not = fact
and people should not be commenting about his own personality or what is reported to have been said to the media unless they know what’s going on

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
The kid needs to grow up. He signed a contract and we obviously couldn’t let him go this year due to the COVID situation and smaller squad meaning we need backup. We now have a new coach and obviously the club will have wanted him to at least meet Hook to see if this is the real issue, as travel isn’t because Manly isn’t exactly on his doorstep. He’s a talent so he’s going to be signed. The off season hasn’t even started yet so I’m sure they are trying to make it happen before then but in fairness to us we signed him when no one else did and developed him to this point which I’m sure cost a tonne of money of which we don’t get to enjoy the fruits of. We are entitled to a player swap or compensation and behind the scenes who’s to say Manly are not the ones playing hardball? I’m sure we will let him go as soon as we receive compensation. If one of our rivals is playing hardball why should we help them with nothing in return? If they want him and value him as much as he believes they do they would move mountains to pay it.

I understand your sentiment but you're basing it all on a hyped up mostly bs Fox news story and crucifying the kid.
Lot's of players ask for early releases and they give all sorts of excuses when usually the real reasons are either 1. money or 2. not getting enough game time. That's what happens, it's nothing new. It sounds like Saab was told OK no worries off you go at first but then we changed our minds in which case he has a right to be pis*ed. It's not like Saints do anyone any favours anyway. Just remember this kid and others have been in the system watching and waiting while Mary picked Aitken and Lafai and other underachievers week after week, year after year, that's got to do something to your patience and resolve. Then when you get a run it's inconsistent, no time to settle in with Mary, hornby and Young looking for scapegoats.
I can't believe how easy everyone get's suckered by Fox news and others and get themselves all worked up over it, pitchforks at the ready.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I actually like the fact we are sticking to our guns and wanting compensation. Far too many times have we rolled over and ended up with the raw end of the deal and left with absolute zero.
Manly or Saab need to pay the Dragons the remaining value of the contract. We then cancel the contract. Finished.

Walpole

Juniors
I actually like the fact we are sticking to our guns and wanting compensation. Far too many times have we rolled over and ended up with the raw end of the deal and left with absolute zero.
I agree. I'd like to think it's because Hook is more interested in getting the best deal for the team than trying to be everyone's mate. Hopefully, any arrangement to let Saab leave is balanced out with us getting an NRL standard forward.

SEAT 1A

Bench
So, a young talented footballer wants a release due to travel time. I have no issue with that as we all have different priorities.

His management are in negotiation with the club for a early release. Again, no problem as it happens all the time.

Jason becomes frustrated and feels the need to speak to the press to force ( hope that msm added the word force), the club to the release.

Maybe, Jason's management needs to work a bit harder with the negotiating as Jason is contracted and our new coach seems to be a harder negotiator than the parties before him however, I don't think he will be with us next year.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I understand your sentiment but you're basing it all on a hyped up mostly bs Fox news story and crucifying the kid.
Lot's of players ask for early releases and they give all sorts of excuses when usually the real reasons are either 1. money or 2. not getting enough game time. That's what happens, it's nothing new. It sounds like Saab was told OK no worries off you go at first but then we changed our minds in which case he has a right to be pis*ed. It's not like Saints do anyone any favours anyway. Just remember this kid and others have been in the system watching and waiting while Mary picked Aitken and Lafai and other underachievers week after week, year after year, that's got to do something to your patience and resolve. Then when you get a run it's inconsistent, no time to settle in with Mary, hornby and Young looking for scapegoats.
I can't believe how easy everyone get's suckered by Fox news and others and get themselves all worked up over it, pitchforks at the ready.
I don’t believe that’s right at all, nor do I believe I’ve been suckered by Fox. Not once have I heard the club say they would release him before the end of the season, actually I have heard them publicly state the opposite unless we were compensated with a like for like player. Yes players do always ask for releases but the club they go to arranges a player swap or transfer fee. These things happen basically every time a player is released unless they are releasing to ease salary cap pressure or are unwanted in which case it’s the other way around. Fact is, he will be released when the club he is going to pays up
It’s only fair. Why doesn’t he rub shit on Manly for being too tight to pay a transfer fee? Make no mistake if he was at our club next season and put in a cracking off season he would be right in the running for JP’s wing spot and Manly isn’t in or near West Sydney. He’s played a handful of games and none of them were anywhere near as good as Ramsey’s couple and he’s already demanding to be picked on a weekly basis. I hope we hold firm, because it takes two to tango and strengthening an opposing team wont win us any games. They are using this situation to their advantage to snare a contracted player for free when they clearly courted him illegally. He probably thinks we are the bad guys but if they really really wanted him they would make it happen.

TruSaint

Referee

Slagging the Club that game his a chance is pathetic.
Couldnt give a fook if he's the next immortal.
People defending this kid need their heads read. Its been going on too long.

BLM01

First Grade
Slagging the Club that game his a chance is pathetic.
Couldnt give a fook if he's the next immortal.
People defending this kid need their heads read. Its been going on too long.

You dont know what you are talking about.
Yeh I agree it has been played out too long in the media
And I will also agree that the kid has been poorly advised by his manager (in part) in respect to his media interviews and I will leave it at that
But the personal reasons for his departure will also remain just that and travel is only a part