What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orford stalked by Eels and Raiders, while Cooper and Cronk stay put

mrpwnd

Bench
WOW somebody actually agrees with me. I have mates who are manly supporters and they were relieved he left. His kicking game is terrible and he cannot throw a nice pass. his biggest asset is his speed off the mark and he can trouble tired defences with his running game.

In terms of organising, he's no better than Tim Smith

and for those comments that he was a premiership winning halfback, so what Jeff Robson almost was last year. had Melb not cheated he would have been, does that mean we give him $300k per year?
Hahaha, well we did sign Morts for like 200k or something along those lines.

cv8z

Juniors
WOW somebody actually agrees with me. I have mates who are manly supporters and they were relieved he left. His kicking game is terrible and he cannot throw a nice pass. his biggest asset is his speed off the mark and he can trouble tired defences with his running game.

and for those comments that he was a premiership winning halfback, so what Jeff Robson almost was last year. had Melb not cheated he would have been, does that mean we give him $300k per year?

The thing is we need a 7 desperately. How many times can we keep saying "there's always next year"?

Craig Johnston

First Grade

and how are manly going now without him? :lol:

Beggars can't be choosers.

My first choice was always Kimmorley. I've wanted that guy for ten years. If we couldn't get him, and considering we were never getting Cooper or Cronk this year, then I'd prefer Orford over Barrett, who we were also chasing, until Cooper or Cronk come onto the market.

Bigfella

Coach
Agreed. Far from my first choice but let's not have another year of a seven with no nrl experience. Especially as our best 9 has no real experience and our most experieced 6 has about a year over several positions.

Orford will at least offer experience, a
running game, and some kicking skills.

strider

Post Whore
so i imagine Orford would be quite keen on a 2yr deal .... wonder if we'd be willing to give it to him, given we will probably want to chase QC for 2012

Gordy

Juniors
so i imagine Orford would be quite keen on a 2yr deal .... wonder if we'd be willing to give it to him, given we will probably want to chase QC for 2012

If it were up to me I would make sure we actually had QC's sig before limiting other deals. It will more than likely come back to bite us as per usual.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Not to sure if we need a half or 5/8. Lets say Murrary is definitely not ready for the NRL then yes we need a hlafback. But if the coaching staff think he is ready, it would be a waste of time in his development to sign a halfback. The better option would be to sign an experience 5/8. But there is the problem there is just no experience halves available.

My preference based on his previous form in the NRL, as not to sure how he is going in england would be Michael Monoghan. I would happy for us to make him a offer he couldn't refuse. The reason I like him is he is tough, not to old, but he is able to play 5/8, half back and hooker - so we would pick up a very experience play who can play several positions. He could play 5/8 with Murray at half or he could play half back with Mortimer or humble at 5/8.

On Orford - I think he would be 35 next and I never liked him as a play. To hot and cold

Orford is 33 next april. I'd say if we can get him give a 1 year deal with a 1 year option.
Murray and Mortimer could learn plenty off him.

Orford is 33 next april. I'd say if we can get him give a 1 year deal with a 1 year option.
Murray and Mortimer could learn plenty off him.

Yep, agree with this. And hopefully Cooper will still be interested after the World Cup, or there might be another quality half off contract.

Yep, agree with this. And hopefully Cooper will still be interested after the World Cup, or there might be another quality half off contract.
the trouble is this year we were basically the only team with large coin to throw at him due to cronk falling through next year half the nrl will be chasing him

foreel

Juniors
In Orfords last 7 years in the NRL, he's had over 20 try assists in each of those years, and twice he's managed to crack 30.
Those are really impressive figures considering Kimmorley, who plays a similar role, hasn't cracked the 20 barrier since 2005.
I wouldn't say no to Orford that's for sure.

DeanPay98

Juniors
If we sign Orford we'll have a very good chance of making the top 8. Thats really all I need to know. The fact that if we had a halfback and had won just four easily winnable games would have put us at 4th or 5th this year really sums up how frustrating this season has been.

Joely01

Bench
I would take him in a heart beat, has experiance, can get repeat sets and will take pressure off hayne.
Having Orford will have so many positives to it which far out weigh all his negatives like long passing game etc.
Id throw him a year maybe 2 contract and go after a few halfes next year their seems to be a better selection next year.

I would take him in a heart beat, has experiance, can get repeat sets and will take pressure off hayne.
Having Orford will have so many positives to it which far out weigh all his negatives like long passing game etc.
Id throw him a year maybe 2 contract and go after a few halfes next year their seems to be a better selection next year.
thats the big thing its not just about getting a one year halfback until something better comes along we need someone who's been there done that who can teach morts and robbo sometimes the best way to learn something is to watch the guy next to you doing it

Delboy

First Grade
Robbo is 28 and played behind Orford for at least 5 years and didnt learn much in the way of being constructive, too late for Robbo to be honest.

If he does eventually sign then the younger half backs can have a decent look

Robbo is 28 and played behind Orford for at least 5 years and didnt learn much in the way of being constructive, too late for Robbo to be honest.

If he does eventually sign then the younger half backs can have a decent look
but was he playing with him or pushed out into lower grades by him?
it wouldnt take much to improve on him and mortimer this year