What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Nine News Special at 9:30 tomorrow night. Be interesting to see what's said

With Hadley and Gould on there it will be nothing but a shitfight.

Hadley - "name names, you are making everyone guilty".

ASADA boss - "unfortunately, I'm unable to provide names due to the stage of the investigation".

See how close I am.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Nine News Special at 9:30 tomorrow night. Be interesting to see what's said

ASADA boss - "unfortunately, I'm unable to provide names due to the stage of the investigation".

See how close I am.

eozsmiles

Bench

See how close I am.

Add some Labor party bashing and I reckon you're 99% on it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/anti-...ng-investigation/story-e6frea6u-1226577438678

Anti-doping authority set to interview over 150 NRL and AFL players, staff and administrators in doping investigation

Simon Benson and Gemma Jones
The Daily Telegraph
February 13, 2013 11:30PM

ANTI-DOPING authority investigators will interview 150 NRL and AFL players, staff and administrators, with the devastating scope of the investigation revealed by the government body.

It's understood that between 70-80 players and officials could be charged with doping violations and various penalties, including the potential for lifetime bans from their code.Players who have doped using substances unable to be detected by drug tests are also being targeted, with ASADA able to take action based on intelligence.

ASADA, which tipped off the Crime Commission resulting in its report claiming widespread organised crime links and performance-enhancing drug use in Australian sport, has warned their investigation will stretch on for months and could grow in scope.

"In response to the very serious matters raised by the Australian Crime Commission's report, Organised Crime and Drugs in Sport, the ASADA confirms that the scope and magnitude of its investigation is unprecedented," the anti-doping body said in a statement last night.

"ASADA anticipates interviewing about 150 players, support staff and administrators from two major sporting codes based on current information. The number of interviews may grow if the investigation uncovers new lines of inquiry.

"The investigation is both complex and wide-ranging and will take many months to complete."

Since 2006 ASADA has been able to take action based on intelligence and a third of athletes caught for doping violations in recent years have never returned a positive drug test.

The change recognised new age performance-enhancing drugs which are difficult to detect in traditional doping tests.

ASADA released fresh details of the scope of its investigation after growing questions about why the ACC report had yet to spark a police investigation.

At least one loophole has allowed the legal sale by crime figures to athletes of performance-enhancing drugs but the ACC made specific claims about players selling illicit drugs and doctors writing illegal scripts.

A spokeswoman for the ACC said last night she expected police investigations could still take place.

Justice Minister Jason Clare defended the lack of police investigations following the release of the ACC's report yesterday and said the government was committed to cleaning up sport in the wake of the scope of the ASADA investigation.

"The obligation on the government agencies now is to help the clubs, to work with them, to weed this out of the sport," he said last night.

Sports Minister Kate Lundy has invited state and territory sports ministers to a briefing by the Crime Commission in Melbourne today.

Ministers will be briefed on information from a classified report with one released publicly omitting names of players, officials and teams.

Representatives from the AFL and NRL will also be present to speak with state ministers.

magpie4ever

First Grade
No they aren't and no there aren't

The Cowboys were mentioned in a report because one of their players had played for a club where someone else might have possibly taken something according to this mornings SMH.

That's not an investigation - that's a load of old cobblers. Why is that even worth mentioning?

This tripe about "shop a mate" stinks of "we don't have anything and are clutching at straws in a desperate attempt to divert the fact from how poorly handled this entire matter has been"

At best they're trying to scare people in the hope they name names, at worst they're trying to deflect political damage in the shape of the Eddie Obeid corruption trial and appalling media reports about Julia Gillard's popularity in the midde of an election campaign.

You big ears and noddy supporters amaze me - middle of an election campaign - it is in September and looking at my calendar it is saying February.:lol: You goose.:D

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Manly Low to Medium - release statement saying no players failed drug tests.
Cronulla have released a statement saying no players failed drug tests.

Huge difference. Cronulla very quiet..............
It was also indicated that the investigation relates to the last 2 years.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
No doubt he already has that covered

_42425308_speeding1_203i.jpg

supercharger

Juniors
Why does that quote make him a muppet? You don't exactly need to be beefed up to be a soccer player.

Geez I thought it was only David Stern making that argument.that still has the perception that steroids just make you physically stronger, you take them and your stronger and your ripped...that's not how it is

Canard

Immortal
I fail to see how this is sportings darkest day.

Should sue the ACC for false advertising.

Don't believe they ever stated that it was an ex ASADA Chief getting quoted.

If the numbers above are too be believed than this would be match the hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.