What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaiGuY

First Grade
This is an interesting statement in article with clubs saying no one has failed a doping test

"Since 2006 ASADA has been able to take action based on intelligence and a third of athletes caught for doping violations in recent years have never returned a positive drug test."

Diesel

Referee
I fail to see what this investigation has on NRL players if doping isn't an issue expect for a possible match fix.

I wonder if the NRL has been caught up in a mainly AFL sting?

Lambretta

First Grade
You big ears and noddy supporters amaze me - middle of an election campaign - it is in September and looking at my calendar it is saying February.:lol: You goose.:D

Once an election has been called, you're campaigning

The fact Gillard has called the longest ever lead up isn't my problem - rather it highlights the size the job she has in front of her to convince the electorate that she deserves another chance.

For the record, I'd rather Gillard than that religious nutjob misogynist Abbott who is a friggin liability to humanity. But I don't like or support either political party. Also, I'd prefer Turnbull or Rudd to either of the choices we currently have.

Just because I criticise something or someone, it doesn't mean I am against them or for the other side. That sort of thinking is narrow minded garbage. It's why you see me criticise the team I follow if I think they've f**ked up and why I praise teams I don't support if they've done what I think is the right thing.

PS - I am a bit of a goose :p

Canard

Immortal
I fail to see what this investigation has on NRL players if doping isn't an issue expect for a possible match fix.

I don't believe that doping isn't an issue however.

Canard

Immortal

The issue for me though is that its been a week or so, and this ISN'T the major news item anymore, its A news item but hardly one that is as major as any random US school shooting or tornado that affects us in NO WAY.

well with soccer, i would say performane enhancers like EPO would be the go. something to give more stamina ro run longer.
also, if you wanted to get more pace i suppose.

that said if you cant kick the ball into the back of the net or keep it at your feet. i mean its a bit moot.
soccer relies less on strength and more on technique and skills. look at messi. he's 5 feet nothing, weighs about 8 kilos.

unlike our game, where if some bloke lobs in gained 10 kilos of muscle, looks huge and rips in with new found intensity then suddenly he's on the fast track to firsts and maybe rep duty as long as he can hit it up hard and make tackles.

AFL it would be a huge advantage to take PED's to enhance endurance and strength. look at those brisbane lions teams of the early 00's that were doing the IV drips.

juro

Bench
Former NRL boss defends track record

February 14, 2013

Michael Lynch

Soccer Writer

THE former boss of the NRL has staunchly defended his track record, despite being at the helm during the period the Australian Crime Commission's damning report into corruption and drugs in sport was compiled.
Rugby league and football are the two codes at the centre of some of the most damning allegations, but David Gallop dismisses suggestions he might not have won his present post as head of Football Federation Australia had the ACC findings been published six months earlier.
Gallop, a lawyer by profession, says his tough stance at the NRL over his decade in charge only enhanced his claims to be a target for an organisation like FFA.
''My track record in being part of the NRL resurgence and in taking a stand on a range of off-field issues is something I am proud of and I think has contributed to the opportunity I have had to move on,'' Gallop told Fairfax Media as the fallout, gossip and questions posed by the ACC's report continue to dominate the sporting debate this week.
''I confronted betting issues, the salary cap cheating, poor off-field behaviours, and always acted swiftly and fairly as soon as I could. We sanctioned people hard for deterrence purposes,'' he says.
''In the NRL we had some very stringent drug-testing in place, very stringent integrity measures, education and surveillance.''
While some accused him of being reactive rather than taking the initiative, when things got tough Gallop demonstrated he was a believer in tough penalties to act as deterrents.
In the biggest case of all, Gallop oversaw the process through which the Melbourne Storm was stripped of its premierships and ordered to play out the 2010 season for no points as its punishment for rorting of the salary cap.
On Gallop's watch Bulldogs prop Ryan Tandy was convicted after being found to have tried to rig the scoring in a premiership game.
The executive also had to deal with a variety of sex scandals, in which some of the game's biggest names were implicated, stars such as Matthew Johns and Brett Stewart, as well as a number of other damaging off-field incidents involving poor behaviour by league stars.
Gallop says that he brings the benefit of that experience to presiding over soccer, a sport that, in this country, has rarely hit the headlines for poor player behaviour.
''There was no evidence in the ACC report about drugs [in soccer]. But despite the fact that we not subject to anything specific in the report [we] share the general concerns that have been raised and certainly don't suggest we are immune from these issues,'' Gallop says.
''We need to stay vigilant in relation to education, surveillance, rules and process.''
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...boss-defends-track-record-20130213-2edhz.html

Former NRL boss defends track record. Current soccer journo bags NRL.

gUt

Coach
Doping fallout: new evidence emerges

As the nation continues to reel back, stunned and bruised, battered and shattered, souls torn apart and trampled into the blood-soaked dust, dreams scorched and drowned and shot and stabbed, forever, I have forgotten the point of this sentence.
The fallout from Australia’s Darkest Day In Sport (ADDIS) continues to fall out. This reporter has been at the forefront of the over-hyped opinion pieces of little value and inflammatory ravings that add nothing of any worth.
Coincidence?
But it’s worse than you think.
Revealed for the first time now are the below empty, vacuous speculations that if proven true, could rock me to the very core of my very core.
• A high profile NRL star was caught on an invasive and creepy Channel Nine dressing room camera self-administering performance-enabling drugs, in clear view of his team mates and coach. In the footage, the player is seen removing the cap of a small, blue, plastic container. He then shakes the object and raises it to his mouth. He seemingly pumps the device with his hand as he visibly inhales the drug. He repeats this process a couple of times before tossing the drug dispensing device into his bag.
• A high profile NRL star was once seen drinking in a particularly trendy inner-city Sydney pub. While he and his mates lorded it up in the front bar they were spotted not being aware that this same pub was possibly frequented by alleged underworld figures at some time in the past or future.
• These imaginary underworld figures may or may not be involved in the sale and distribution of illicit substances. For example, drugs. From there it’s not hard to imagine that these same drug dealing criminals could well have infiltrated the glamorous world of professional rugby league. The NRL had no comment.
• The code makes much of its education programs for players, claiming its messages of civility and the keeping of clean noses does much to help players keep their noses clean. Well, the question must be asked: did the player in question miss this lesson or are the educational programs just not as effective as I’ve claimed the NRL claimed they are?
• Etc (probably more stuff)

continues...

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/02/14/doping-fallout-new-evidence-emerges/

eozsmiles

Bench

They are looking for crimes that have been committed and the potential for crimes to be committed in the future. They probably have lots of info on various crimes that they have collected through surveilance. I would assume the bulk of this info is related to full time criminals but I can't substantiate that. As has been alluded to throughout the process there are a number of things that are being investigated including match fixing, blackmail, fraud, the use and distribution of PED's, and the use and distribution of social drugs. To name just a few. There is no need to go into details because we have all read the articles and statements. We've seen what time frame clubs are being investigated for and we know what challenges those individual clubs have faced over those periods.

I think people are right to be quietly optimistic about the info that there has been no positive tests. I also think that it is foolish to blow the whole operation off as bogus because of those statements. A lack of positives does not mean bad things haven't happened.

With 150 more people to be interviewed I'm guessing that there is more to it than a few rogue footy heads on the roids. In either code.

Big Sam

First Grade
well with soccer, i would say performane enhancers like EPO would be the go. something to give more stamina ro run longer.

that said if you cant kick the ball into the back of the net or keep it at your feet. i mean its a bit moot.
soccer relies less on strength and more on technique and skills. look at messi. he's 5 feet nothing, weighs about 8 kilos.

unlike our game, where if some bloke lobs in gained 10 kilos of muscle, looks huge and rips in with new found intensity then suddenly he's on the fast track to firsts and maybe rep duty as long as he can hit it up hard and make tackles.

Well said.

Different sports have different physical attributes required to succeed so doping programs are not going to be consistent. Sports that require a steady hand for example like Archery and Shooting prohibit beta blockers which lower the heart rate thus calming the participant, whereas athletes in other sports take No Doze and Red Bull to raise their heart rates before performing.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I've always heard rumours that operation Puerto ended because they were getting close to some pretty big soccer clubs

applesauce

Bench

AFL it would be a huge advantage to take PED's to enhance endurance and strength. look at those brisbane lions teams of the early 00's that were doing the IV drips.

EPO would have no benefit for AFL or Soccer players. Neither game is aerobic enough (repeated bouts of sprints with consistent breaks). Doping cyclists only use EPO in events longer than 3days, and wouldn't use it during hill sprints.

EPO doesn't instantly give you greater performance, it stops your performance declining (ie reduced hct) with heavy bouts of exercise over a few days.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade

The fact Gillard has called the longest ever lead up isn't my problem - rather it highlights the size the job she has in front of her to convince the electorate that she deserves another chance.

For the record, I'd rather Gillard than that religious nutjob misogynist Abbott who is a friggin liability to humanity. But I don't like or support either political party. Also, I'd prefer Turnbull or Rudd to either of the choices we currently have.

Just because I criticise something or someone, it doesn't mean I am against them or for the other side. That sort of thinking is narrow minded garbage. It's why you see me criticise the team I follow if I think they've f**ked up and why I praise teams I don't support if they've done what I think is the right thing.

PS - I am a bit of a goose :p

Seriously, you are the one who stated "middle of an election campaign", and when called on it, carried on a diatribe to try and justify it.

The bigger news is the ASADA spokesperson indicating possible bans for up to 70-80 people (including lifetime bans for some) connected with professional sports but this would ruin some bloggers belief that the truth gets in the way of a good story (beat up, NRL not involved, ALP scare campaign to take the heat out of ICAC hearings etc) - no wonder we have such hopeless politicians (both sides) when the general populace is lucky to have an IQ above zero and rednecks like Hadley and Jones ruled the radio airwaves.

Last edited:

Magumba

Juniors
A point to note about testing and clubs coming out saying that none of their players have tested positive to PED's etc. In recent years one third athletes caught by ASADA for doping violations NEVER returned a positive drug test and that action was taken based on intelligence.

There is a long way to go with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts