What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its just clubs getting on the front foot. Remember how often Armstrong claimed he never failed a test. Standard defence really.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Somehow, I would believe a journo who places his spokesperson words within quotation marks (libel laws); then some of the flat earthers on here who are screaming it is a beat up or a big conspiracy. They must be shitting themselves.

Like the Cowboys were previously until being cleared today....

If one NRL player ( let only 80) is facing a "lifetime ban" over this issue, I will walk to Broken Hill....

Version 6

Staff member
On what basis?

For being reported as being under investigation when they were under investigation?

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Cowboys need to sue someone for this

Sue them for what?

Are you suggesting that someone cannot be investigated unless they are going to be found guilty? For all we know there will be 50 odd players pulled up for doping across the whole of the NRL! If there is wide spread doping (which is obviously what they think is happening) then it is better to flush it now than waiting years on end like they did with cycling.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl...penrith-panthers/story-fndujljl-1226577443451

Ok basically ASADA ran tests on Penrith and Canberra players during the off season. More so than normal so these were targeted.

The media is speculating that because the raiders haven't had the books checked and based on Don furner stating its an isolated case its probably a player from a club Dank worked at. Not hard to work out who the player of interest may be.

El Diablo

Post Whore

seems it would be hard http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/...efamation-lawyer/story-e6frfkp9-1226577735079

NRL clubs taking on government and ACC in lawsuit would be a waste of time, says defamation lawyer

By Paul Crawley
The Daily Telegraph
February 14, 2013 10:26AM

NRL clubs named in the drugs and corruption investigation would be wasting their time taking on the federal government and the Australian Crime Commission in court - even if they are cleared of wrongdoing.

That is the verdict from one of the country's top defamation lawyers after North Queensland Cowboys coach Neil Henry hinted on Wednesday at possible legal action.

Henry labelled the handling of the investigation a "disgrace" and said the NRL has been forced into an embarrassing situation.

Leading lawyer Justin Quill agreed it was "shocking and irresponsible" but said taking on the government or Crime Commission in court would be a tough case to win.

"They have basically thrown a hand grenade at the AFL and NRL and walked away," Quill said.

"The head of the ACC, John Lawler, said this was about intelligence gathering, not evidence gathering.

"In those circumstances it seems reprehensible that the ACC in concert with the government would make these allegations, tarnishing the names of clubs, codes and players and undermining peoples' confidence in Australian sport without any evidence.

"What should have happened was they should have passed on their intelligence to the appropriate authorities and told them to gather evidence and start knocking on doors once they were able to charge people.

"Having said all that I don't think (clubs or players) have a case in defamation. Nobody has been individually identified or identified as being a drug cheat or throwing a game."

Henry was furious at the damage done to his club's reputation without a "shred of evidence".

"I think the way the whole thing has been handled is a disgrace," Henry said.

"It is embarrassing really for the NRL to come out and mention that there are six teams. We are forced to defend ourselves against something we don't even know about.

"It has been a slight on this club, our fans but more importantly the individuals that work at this club. There has been no shred of evidence so far. To me it is farcical.

"The damage that it has done so far, who knows, I mean, I am a bush lawyer, is there defamation there?"

Quill said even if the investigation turned out to be a beat-up, the clubs would be flat-out winning the fight in court.

"Ultimately, it seems extraordinary that they would make these allegations public without going to the individuals to whom they are referring," he said.

"In circumstances where they went public it is probably both shocking and irresponsible.

"If all they had done was prepared the report and passed it on to the local authorities then I wouldn't have any problem at all with it. But it was the grandstanding without going through a full process I have a problem with."

magpie4ever

First Grade
Like the Cowboys were previously until being cleared today....

If one NRL player ( let only 80) is facing a "lifetime ban" over this issue, I will walk to Broken Hill....

If I was you, I would buy a few pair of walkers then. Hey, you probably already live there.:lol:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Why dont you join me?

We can discuss the 80 players on the way and how every time the media quotes an unnamed source, the story inevitably ends up being true...

Remember I said the ASADA spokesperson indicated up to 80 professional sportspeople nation wide; but, if you are willing to do it for a charity, why not.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Lifetime ban for a first offence doping?

Is that possible?

I would say it depends on the circumstances and their involvement.

If it was a case of just taking performance enhancing drugs, they would be looking at 2-4 years; with up to a 75% reduction if they came forward.

Nightward

Juniors
I suspect it would depend on what it was and how long they were believed to have been using the substance for.

If they're believed to have been using it for multiple seasons and in so doing earned rep honours, I'd say fair enough. YMMV.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its up to the individual sporting body. There won't be any lifetime bans unless a player is seriously involved in it even then I doubt it. Two year bans most likely.

Perth Red

Post Whore

They had better wait to find out if they have a problem first! All they have been told is by Asada that there were no postive test results. Then Asada have come out and said the evidence is not based on positive test results. No one has been cleared yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.