What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench
When names & clubs are finally released things will only get worse.
Can you imagine the outcry if high profile players are rubbed out .Especially if they were QLD SOO players .
Would the results still stand?
Debate would never end about it .

The same with GF winning sides.
How many(convicted/suspended ) players would need to be a part of that team before the NRL decided that the win was null & void?

I hope it doesnt come to that & if any players are rubbed out ,they are just standard 1st graders.
That is the reality,and your points are valid,what would determine an unfair advantage in a GF,the questions are endless,they need to name players and teams ASAP,to clear the innocent.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
We've had players cop drug bans before. So long as its not systematic cheating by certain clubs records will stand. In fact I might be mistaken but didn't Newcastle have three members of the 97 side pinged for drugs the next year. Those records stood.

IanG

Coach
simpHomerDrool_2006f.jpg

Mmmmmmm Organised Crime

eozsmiles

Bench
Well if you had a brain in your melon you would realise I was talking about the ACC report. As in - the report which is the subject of this entire thread. As in - the report which supposedly has named 5 or 6 NRL clubs as the target of further investigation.

I remember why I don't come into the NRL section much anymore.

So if a criminal who the cops knew was dealing with NRL or AFL clubs in Australia jumped a plane to NZ and tried to fix a game or do some drug work over there, that the words "New Zealand Warriors" wouldn't appear in the report?

Even if the Warriors can't get into trouble from the ACC, surely they could get a mention if they had been part of a crime committed in Australia or by an Australian travelling to NZ?

Diesel

Referee
When names & clubs are finally released things will only get worse.
Can you imagine the outcry if high profile players are rubbed out .Especially if they were QLD SOO players .
Would the results still stand?
Debate would never end about it .

The same with GF winning sides.
How many(convicted/suspended ) players would need to be a part of that team before the NRL decided that the win was null & void?

I hope it doesnt come to that & if any players are rubbed out ,they are just standard 1st graders.

How bad would it be if it was more the NSW SoO team... It's all speculation at this stage and anything we are saying now will change when we hear the players and club names.

The players will be tarred and rightly so, as should any coaches or off/on-field support. These people in the game are just custodians of the clubs. I hope it's only one or two per club max and not a whole club behind it because if I had played, supported or worked for a club and it came out they were drug cheats I'd be pretty f@cked off

IanG

Coach
So if a criminal who the cops knew was dealing with NRL or AFL clubs in Australia jumped a plane to NZ and tried to fix a game or do some drug work over there, that the words "New Zealand Warriors" wouldn't appear in the report?

Even if the Warriors can't get into trouble from the ACC, surely they could get a mention if they had been part of a crime committed in Australia or by an Australian travelling to NZ?

I dare say that the NZ equivilant is now aware of things and would cooperate with Australian aunthorities.

Diesel

Referee
I doubt the Warriors would be immune if they were part of all this, although they are based in another country, they still play for an Australia comp/company and crimes would've happened in both countries.

Those that are saying the Warriors would be safe if they were drug cheats are wrong. It's like saying that any Australian based side goes to NZ and was drugged up while playing there would be ok because it happened in another country.

How bad would it be if it was more the NSW SoO team... It's all speculation at this stage and anything we are saying now will change when we hear the players and club names.

The players will be tarred and rightly so, as should any coaches or off/on-field support. These people in the game are just custodians of the clubs. I hope it's only one or two per club max and not a whole club behind it because if I had played, supported or worked for a club and it came out they were drug cheats I'd be pretty f@cked off

I presume you mean rightly so if they are found guilty.

Not rightly so if they are named in the report.

When and if these names are released everyone needs to keep in mind they are not even charged yet.

Diesel

Referee
I wonder if the Storm or Sharks would be unfairly targeted due to them sharing a reserve grade team.

Fire

First Grade
I don't get everyone's rush for clubs and players to be named.

"Clear the innocent" is a cop out.

It's a criminal investigation.

People have to be charged. Courts have to make decisions. Those charged have a right to defend themselves and appeal.

It's going to drag out. Have patience folks.

BranVan3000

Coach

People have to be charged. Courts have to make decisions. Those charged have a right to defend themselves and appeal.

We want to be out at ease for our own clubs, and if it does involve one of our clubs it's best to get it out of the way like quickly like a bandaid.

Honestly, whatever club I hope it involves a lot of ex players, ones who have changed club or even hopefully gone to the UK. Just to make it easier on this years competition

applesauce

Bench

Exactly.

I also prefer that if "guilty" players are named that we are closer to trial/suspensions than further away. I don't think it will be good to give an extra few days/weeks of dragging the players and game through mud in what could be the worst attack on our game since superleague.

Parra

Referee
If any of the drug allegations are true then it is time to shut up shop for the various agencies that claim to monitor drugs in sport.

With recent international scandals, and now these local allegations, the drug testers are either inept or corrupt. Either way, they are not worth paying.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
If any of the drug allegations are true then it is time to shut up shop for the various agencies that claim to monitor drugs in sport.

With recent international scandals, and now these local allegations, the drug testers are either inept or corrupt. Either way, they are not worth paying.

Armstrong never failed a test

Ben cousins and Andrew johns never failed a test

Kirky

Juniors

Fans need to be aware of which teams are under investigation by round 1. Failing this, every time, for example, the Raiders lose, i'll be wondering if we lost because the other side was better, or if they beat us because player A is a no good dirty drug cheat. It'll be the go-to excuse for all supporters, and will be ridiculous. Rather than celebrating the emergence of any new superstars in 2013, we'll cast a suspicious gaze over anyone that runs faster, hits bigger, or jumps higher. The sooner we can eliminate the vast majority of players from the list of potential cheats, the sooner I can go back to blaming David Furner for our loses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts