What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDR

First Grade
I doubt the Warriors would be immune if they were part of all this, although they are based in another country, they still play for an Australia comp/company and crimes would've happened in both countries.

Those that are saying the Warriors would be safe if they were drug cheats are wrong. It's like saying that any Australian based side goes to NZ and was drugged up while playing there would be ok because it happened in another country.

How do you expect the ACC to investigate a New Zealand based company? I'm not saying they're in the clear if they are all shot full of roids, I'm saying they won't be named in this report, which was conducted by Australian agents for an Australian minister and was explicitly about drugs in Australian sport.

The ACC has no power or jurisdiction over there. If they are going to be investigated and caught doing something it will be an NZ agency that does it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
How do you expect the ACC to investigate a New Zealand based company? I'm not saying they're in the clear if they are all shot full of roids, I'm saying they won't be named in this report, which was conducted by Australian agents for an Australian minister and was explicitly about drugs in Australian sport.

The ACC has no power or jurisdiction over there. If they are going to be investigated and caught doing something it will be an NZ agency that does it.

unless they committed the crime here

eg http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-11-21/warriors-winger-crockett-has-rape-charges-dismissed/214572

Fire

First Grade
Fans need to be aware of which teams are under investigation by round 1. Failing this, every time, for example, the Raiders lose, i'll be wondering if we lost because the other side was better, or if they beat us because player A is a no good dirty drug cheat. It'll be the go-to excuse for all supporters, and will be ridiculous. Rather than celebrating the emergence of any new superstars in 2013, we'll cast a suspicious gaze over anyone that runs faster, hits bigger, or jumps higher. The sooner we can eliminate the vast majority of players from the list of potential cheats, the sooner I can go back to blaming David Furner for our loses.

Hahaha.

I get your point though. I just think that it is all going to drag out a bit because all parties involved have to watch out for defamation and libel.

Canard

Immortal
Yep the ACC and ASADA need a deadline of Round 1.

I mean who cares about the law and shit, footy is more important.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hahaha.

I get your point though. I just think that it is all going to drag out a bit because all parties involved have to watch out for defamation and libel.

well the AFL said there's will drag out so it will be no different for any NRL player/s

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...ic-cases-of-peds/story-fnelctok-1226574753324

"It's not going to be as quick as everyone would like," McLachlan said.

"The reality is that the investigators, which is ultimately ASADA in partnership with the AFL, have to get the right answers and that will take as long as it takes.

"It's more likely to be months rather than weeks."

That means that if Essendon or any of their players are found guilty of doping breaches, any penalties would be imposed after the season had begun.

BDR

First Grade
The NRL IS an Australian comp therefore an Australian sport

Think of it in a legal sense, the ACC is a statutory body after all. They just wouldn't do it, it's like saying they are going to investigate the NZ and SA Super Rugby clubs too, and all the Asian Champions League teams that have come to Australia in the past couple years.

It's logistically and legally impossible. If the Warriors are named as a club of interest I will eat my hat.

Yeah, good luck proving that they used the roids in Australia only.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ubs-wait-on-call-from-nrl-20130210-2e6l4.html

Anxious clubs wait on call from NRL

Date
February 11, 2013

Brad Walter
Chief Rugby League Writer

NRL players at several clubs are living in a climate of fear as they wait to learn whether they have been caught up in the doping scandal to hit the code and other Australian sports.

Fairfax Media has been told that a number of players, including at least one star, are worried they may have taken a banned substance and are bracing for the fallout.

Rumours are also doing the rounds in league circles that some players have tested positive but the results were withheld and they have instead been placed under surveillance by Australian Crime Commission investigators.

Until details are passed on from the NRL to the clubs, the number of which Fairfax Media has been told may be as high as seven, most players are reluctant to come forward because few know what the ACC is interested in.

Fairfax Media revealed in 2008 that Manly players were being injected with calves' blood, but the product, Actovagin, was not on the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority's banned list and Fairfax Media has since heard that other clubs considered using it.

It has also been told of one club where players were given a substance labelled for ''equine use only'', while a star player is said to have complained to former teammates about being injected in the stomach.

Another may have switched clubs this season because he was unhappy with requests from the club's sports science department.

Few want to believe anything they were given by club officials could be illegal and there is a culture of not breaking ranks with teammates.

Players have even questioned who they would be talking to if they contacted the new ASADA hotline announced by the NRL.

Instead, they want the commission and NRL to name those under suspicion, to restore reputations.

''You have got to name them - that is how everyone feels,'' Parramatta fullback Jarryd Hayne said after arriving back in Sydney on Sunday from the All-Stars match.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard and New South Wales Premier Barry O'Farrell have called for clubs to out themselves. But apart from an email sent by new NRL boss Dave Smith on Sunday advising that further detail would be provided soon, club bosses are unsure if they or their players are involved.

Smith said the NRL was working closely with the commission to be able to advise clubs in the next 48 hours that are involved.

Officials rejected complaints that the AFL had been able to hold a news conference on Sunday to discuss the extent of the drugs problem in their code, while the NRL remained silent. The AFL had been commenting on its own internal investigation and not the one conducted by the ACC.

Auditors have been sent to Manly, Cronulla, Penrith and Newcastle - sparking speculation they are among the clubs under investigation.

The Sea Eagles, Sharks and Panthers all have had links with Steve Dank, the sports science guru at the centre of the investigation into substance use at the AFL club Essendon. Dank will break his silence on ABC television's 7.30 Report on Monday.

''I will be absolutely amazed if the NRL does not clarify more detail before then,'' one club boss said.

But Smith said after an all-day NRL management meeting it may be another day before the clubs are advised which are under scrutiny.

Canard

Immortal
Seems like he is hinting strongly about a certain well publicised player transfer.

He either knows something or is wildly speculating

pk76

Juniors
Yes, I thought the same. Ironically if that player is who I think the article is suggesting, well, his new club is also under investigation. LOL!

Loudstrat

Coach
Fair enough you do have to read it first...

But give me a break with the childish abuse that you feel obliged to direct at any poster that you don't agree with.
As long as you quit setting the forum rules champ...........

People can think what they want about social media but at the end of the day he who screams the loudest gets retweeted/reprinted the most.
Tweeted? FFS Twitter is just a big f*cking gossip. Anyone can post any tweet without a shred of evidence. Who cares if it gets the most tweets - it simply means it is read by the most twats.

The News Limited journos are posting on twitter putting the pressure on the NRL, interestingly the Fairfax journos aren't.
If the NRL is pressured by Twitter, it would be pressured by anything. Fairfax is running with the story, while News is inventing it - just to satisfy the instant demands of the mental midgets that buy their papers.

We still need to have David Smith out this afternoon, even if he doesn't say anything.
The entire Rugby League world was put at ease over the latest drugs and match fixing claims this afternoon, when David Smith called a press conference - and said nothing.

F*cking hell some people are stupid beyond belief.

Basically this years comp is over if 45 players cop a 2 year ban
The ARL coped quite well in 1997 after the sudden withdrawal of 170 players.

I dare any team to take a penalty goal early in a game in rd 1...........
Beave cracked the code. Its the Dragons!

Exactly. And what about ASADA's own culpability in all this? We've been told that they'll get more funding but did their management know about this and if so, didn't they let this ineffectual culture to propagate unchecked? Clearly they haven't been/aren't up to the task.
Quite right. Yet, no one is more up to the task. The USDA chased Armstrong for years, and only got him through a confession, after years of pressure fuelled by innuendo.

This wont be solved in an hour like it is on f*cking CSI!!!!!!

I'm not too worried but aye. Wayne has come out and said that none of the three clubs he has been involved with had doping problems while he was there.
Shane Webcke
And even before he got there too.
Robbie O'Davis and Wayne Richards

Not even the players who are having their names dragged through the mud due to all the 'rumours'?
I have not seen one player named as yet!

People are ignoring the main issue - this is obstensively about match fixing - with banned substances merely a contributing circumstance. That means two things:
1) A club doesnt have to be involved, nor a player guilty of seeking a banned substance to improve performance
2) The only way to fix a match is to play poorly or f*ck up. It is more than likely that a team responsible for match fixing would be a losing one.

Personally I can think of one obvious non playing suspect straight away, but honestly who of us has a clue about who is implicated? Right now all parties must be considered innocent, despite News Ltd's idiotic demands for an instant scapegoat.

Finally, those gimps bagging ASDA - who would you suggest take over the job? Meals on Wheels?

blukablu

Juniors
Wasn't there a rumour going around that an ex-Raiders player who recently played for NSW tested positive after a SoO game?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yes drug testing agencies are always chasing so that's why its such a long process with most guilty verdicts through police action.

That's why I believe very strongly in blood passports. Take some blood off every kid who plays under 20s and check that sample against new samples for biological markers and changes. Gives the doping agencies another weapon to use besides busting morons who can't cycle, the unlucky and those who are implicated through police action and the like.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Loudy, someone else brought Webke up earlier on. What's the story please?

He got pinged with a masking agent back around the year 2000. This was under the old drug agency and less strict rules on therapeutic use exemptions so his doctor just said he forgot to apply for one.

Under today's ASADA he'd have sat out a ban. Just lucky they werent as strict about TUEs back then

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...mpaign=Feed:+cmnews+(The+Courier+Mail+|+News)

Top Queensland lawyer Chris Nyst accuses Australian Crime Commission for creating 'hysteria' over drugs in sports

by: Greg Stolz
February 11, 2013 12:00AM

A TOP Queensland criminal lawyer has slammed the Australian Crime Commission for "whipping up hysteria" about drugs in sport.

Chris Nyst, who acts for Gold Coast Titans, has represented sports stars including Greg Bird and Bernard Tomic, and is also adjunct professor of law at Griffith University, has accused the ACC of making "hysterical allegations" that have "blackened" Australian sport.

"Sporting codes throughout Australia need to just stop and take a deep breath, then properly examine the available evidence," Mr Nyst said.

"The fact is, so far we've seen nothing to suggest that such activities, if they do occur in Australian sport, extend beyond mere opportunistic, ad hoc behaviour by individuals . . . People need to read the fine print in this (ACC) report. The ACC investigation revealed one match may have been fixed. That's hardly a crime wave, even if it happened."

Mr Nyst said because top-level sport was so competitive and lucrative, "some individuals will, from time to time, bend the rules to maximise opportunities for themselves".

"That's why we have checks and balances in place," he said.

"But (these) hysterical allegations . . . are simply not made out on any of the evidence we have seen to date."

"If, after twelve months investigation, the ACC assertion gets no higher than a single match "may have been" fixed, the house is hardly crumbling at its foundations.

"It is dangerous in the extreme to allow unspecific hysterical assertions to dictate systematic slander of our athletes and over-regulation of our sporting institutions."

BunniesMan

Immortal
Lots of concerns there, star players, stomach injections, "equine use only", quitting clubs to get away from sports science people. If even half of this stuff is true things will blow up in the coming days/weeks/months.

Fire

First Grade
He got pinged with a masking agent back around the year 2000. This was under the old drug agency and less strict rules on therapeutic use exemptions so his doctor just said he forgot to apply for one.

Under today's ASADA he'd have sat out a ban. Just lucky they werent as strict about TUEs back then

Thanks mate, appreciated.

Was just off after doing a google search of "Shane Wencke doping".

Found this article in the results. The whole affair sounds like a misunderstanding.

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/how-i-broke-doping-laws/story-e6frexni-1111112305713

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts