What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin '05 favour still paying out for Hindy

dazeely

First Grade
Jul 11, 2006

[SIZE=+0][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Origin '05 favour still paying out for Hindy[/FONT][SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Having Sydney Roosters forward Adrian Morley stand up before the NRL judiciary on the eve of Origin III last year to say 'No Guv'nor, he never grapple-tackled me' is still paying dividends for Parramatta Eels forward Nathan Hindmarsh.
Not only did Morley's generous act controversially free Hindmarsh to play in the 2005 Origin decider but it also freed him of any follow-on penalty in the judiciary demerit system despite the incident being what was later described by then NRL match review co-ordinator Greg McCallum as a 'text book' grapple tackle.
And so when Hindmarsh was charged with dangerous throw from last Saturday's hammering of the Newcastle Knights there is no 'prior non-similar offence' to add a loading to his potential demerit points – as a result an early guilty plea will see him escape suspension.
Getting off the grapple tackle charge surprised many at the time but slipped under the radar thanks mainly to all pro-Blues media failing to raise any serious questions about the decision to let Hindmarsh off on the eve on an important match for New South Wales.
At the time the NRL was going through one of their periodic crack-downs on grapple tackles – where the head and neck are aggressively restricted in the tackle in a kind of wrestler's sleeper hold.
On the weekend prior to the 2005 Origin III teams being selected, Hindmarsh appeared to apply, as McCallum said, a 'text book' grapple tackle on Sydney Rooster Morley.
But Roosters coach Ricky Stuart, who also then happened to be the New South Wales coach, effectively volunteered Morley to the judiciary panel with a written statement saying hat he felt no pressure from Hindmarsh.
With hardly a cough or an 'ahem' the panel concurred that such an outstanding member of the Queen's empire as Morley must surely be telling the truth and so wiped the slate for Hindmarsh.
Such is the judiciary system that both favourable and unfavourable decisions have flow-on effects: just as Hindmarsh has benefited from the cards falling his way, the likes of Melbourne's Michael Crocker and now Billy Slater will endlessly pay, in loadings, for prior indiscretions. The other player charged from the weekend was South Sydney Rabbitoh Scott Geddes, who is set to miss this weekend's round thanks to his grade two careless high tackle charge.
[/FONT]

Hellsy

Immortal
I remember thinking that Hindy was a very lucky boy at the time..... guess he is still lucky

caylo

Bench
wot they are now comparing hindy, leaguies good boy... never puts a footy wrong - to crocker, and slater who are cerial offenders. plz... hindy simply lifted the legs of the player 2 stop his momentum... it was not a spear tackle, it wasnt even a tackle... more a leg grab. it went a lil wrong because of the defenders on top... and he was penalised.. thats enuf. Morley willing admitted he was tryn 2 milk a penalty... not forced by stuart... parramatta talked 2 him, and he agreed 2 front the judicary in support... which is a honable thing 2 do... and now hindy is getting smacked for it. get a life

eel4life

Juniors
how many tackles does hindy make a year, how many times does he get it wrong, 1 maybe 2 ...

Hellsy

Immortal
So are you all saying that Hindy is innocent of the charge back in 2005?
I think Hindy did commit a grapple tackle however I don't quite think he would have deserved suspension for it especially when the Rugby League World was still trying to knuckle down on the action and this was one of the first real weeks that it was looked at.
Crocker is a serial offender but Slater hardly is he has had an awful year on the field but he is not a serial offender.

Sure the judiciary are not consistent at all and neither are the referees in what they put on report and what they leave. But just because these players are in Blue and Gold does not make them innocent of all charges.

Hindy has really taken to lifting the oppositions legs in recent times and in this particular charge he was caught out when the other Parra player tackled the top half of the Knights player driving him into the ground and therefore making Hindy's leg lift turn into a dangerous tackle - answer is simple stop lifting the legs... it is a dirty and cheap way of tackling and it runs the risk of ending up on report for something it wasn't meant to be.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hindy is an absolute machine and I wouldn't trade him for anyone but I do not think he is a 110% clean player, but what he does good far far far outweighs what he does bad.......

Angry_eel

First Grade
Hellsy said:
Don't get me wrong, I think Hindy is an absolute machine and I wouldn't trade him for anyone but I do not think he is a 110% clean player, but what he does good far far far outweighs what he does bad.......
Noon'es 110% clean and they shouldn't be. At times they need to be a bit dirty to show your stuff on the field.

anyway, hindy got away now this guy is crying. its been a year. a warriors fan??

Hellsy said:
answer is simple stop lifting the legs... it is a dirty and cheap way of tackling and it runs the risk of ending up on report for something it wasn't meant to be.

you reckon? they cant run without legs.

so, do u think its fine for a player to go down low and take out the legs a la a fullback/winger cover tackle? but not for hindy to lift a leg whilst standing up. the energy he'd save by not hitting the deck every tackle would be huge, thus allowing him to make another dozen tackles or stronger hitups.

dirty and cheap :roll:

Hellsy

Immortal
Have you seen the way Hindy does it? He lifts up the players leg well above what it should be, and I am not alone on this forum in saying it has gotten a lot worse of recent times
so, do u think its fine for a player to go down low and take out the legs a la a fullback/winger cover tackle?
When did I say that I think that is fine? please don't put words into my mouth. It would depend on the nature of the tackle as to wether it is dangerous or dirty, Hindy does his leg lift thing when there are already up to 2 other defenders in the tackle already, it is not necessary in 95% of the cases Hindy uses it.
Is the grapple tackle OK? Alot of people were on here bitching about it after we played Melbourne but yet when one of our own commits it there is no problem....

caylo

Bench
to be honest a team mate was told off by my coach 4 the same thing, he was lifting the legs at training... it is not an effect means of tackling, there are easyer ways 2 put the opposition which are safer... although it has no malce... he didnt pick the player up, or spear tackle him as it has been suggested... he merly lifted his leg, and it went wrong. i agree he should remove it from his game... but its not dirty. hindy in 110% clean, never does anything dirty... doesn't mean he will never give a penalty away

Hellsy said:
So are you all saying that Hindy is innocent of the charge back in 2005?
I think Hindy did commit a grapple tackle however I don't quite think he would have deserved suspension for it especially when the Rugby League World was still trying to knuckle down on the action and this was one of the first real weeks that it was looked at.
Crocker is a serial offender but Slater hardly is he has had an awful year on the field but he is not a serial offender.

Sure the judiciary are not consistent at all and neither are the referees in what they put on report and what they leave. But just because these players are in Blue and Gold does not make them innocent of all charges.

Hindy has really taken to lifting the oppositions legs in recent times and in this particular charge he was caught out when the other Parra player tackled the top half of the Knights player driving him into the ground and therefore making Hindy's leg lift turn into a dangerous tackle - answer is simple stop lifting the legs... it is a dirty and cheap way of tackling and it runs the risk of ending up on report for something it wasn't meant to be.

Top post Hells.

CrazyEel

Bench
Hellsy said:
Have you seen the way Hindy does it? He lifts up the players leg well above what it should be, and I am not alone on this forum in saying it has gotten a lot worse of recent times.
True that, would be good to see him get that rubbish out of his game, he doesn't need to do it.

Hellsy

Immortal
Hindy is also a player that tends to flop alot, especially when he is tired. Sure he is certainly not alone with that indiscretion, but if he got that and the leglifting out of his game he would come bloody close to being clean... while he continues to do these things, in my eyes, he is not.

Utey

Coach
Once again players doing these things to slow the play-the-ball down. I hate playing to game a certain way to rules and not jus obiding by them (if that makes any sense). Hindy is simply trying to get the attacking player on their back, and holding them up for as much as possible. His flop his getting worse... I wouldnt say its dirty, its just his way.

Hellsy

Immortal
I spose it kind of depends what we all class as dirty as well in our own eyes as this will always differ...... to me a player that constantly flops is not a 'dirty player' but they are using a dirty action, same with the leg lifts/grapple tackle, I believe those to be a dirty actions in the game.

Some of the things I think a 'dirty player' is is one that always goes high or one that gets in around the face and scratches the opposing player during a tackle, or one that causes injury to another in the way they tackle. However there is always room for error, just because a player does it once does not make them dirty... everyone is entitled to an error, if they do it over and over though.......

So as U can see by my definitions I do not believe Hindy to be a dirty player, but I sure wish he would get some of these lazy habits out of his game

Utey

Coach
Thats all they are, habits. He rarely gets penalised for it anyhow. But I see what your saying.

Hellsy

Immortal
Habits are not necessarily something that should be ignored or overlooked though... and there was 2 penalties last Sat night through leg lifts (1 on report - Hindy)