What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ORIGIN 1 - GAME DAY THREAD

eddiesmith

Juniors
Luai was anonymous and Tedesco couldn't have stunk the joint out anymore than he did. They're so scared of criticising certain players it's ridiculous.

Yep, I only watched the second half until QLD went 14 points up, but Luai was MIA.

Tedesco killed every attack he touched the ball and made zero effort to stop the try.

Hynes was average, not terrible but lacked the spark he provides the Sharks, the whole NSW side lacked cohesion. Not sure what was going on with the kicking, he’s normally better than that so presumably that was the game plan just kick high bombs?

I suppose NSW never got close, but he’s done so much better for Cronulla attacking the line. Was also very unlucky on the 40/20, I’d love a second look as pretty sure the QLDers foot hit the ground before passing.

The play before QLD scored also showed he was a lone hand, when he couldn’t get the kick away, no one else could do anything. Then whoever kicked that into the posts was an idiot.

Chimp

Bench
Reece Robson is all effort and tough as teak, made some good defensive efforts, but he offers nothing in attack - it’s the same thing I moan about Brailey when in the attacking 10, except Robson is the same for the whole pitch - if there’s no real risk of him running, and no craft or deception around the ruck, the defence can just pile pressure on the first receiver. It’s exactly why Hynes is so easy to get at on tackle 5 for the Sharks, as there’s no risk of Brailey kicking himself.
The 9 needs to be a danger otherwise everyone else is under pressure.

dinghydi

Juniors
Hasnt Yeo Failed every game at Sof origin he's played ? Maybe played one good one when NSW already on top. Great Player for Panthers but doesn't work at SoO level .....

AND what about the Captains knock ? Got right last name , anyway.

Less said about Yawnion bloke the better Why pick guy going to yawnion anyway ?

Id think no less of Nicho if he never plays SoO again but comes back and wins a premiership or three for sharks .

txta2

First Grade
Did they also mention Luai missed 9 tackles or that Tedesco was his usual roadblock or that Robson had 2 runs or that olakolatu ran like he was in quicksand or that young even played or that Angus Crichton missed 8 tackles on the edge. Are they mentioning Jurbos captains knock?

Could Nicho have kicked better. Absolutely.
could he have made a few different choices. Sure.

but to say he was the worst NSW player is ridiculous.
Most of them were fake accounts or trolling teenagers I think,I dunno. But I was expecting him and Tedesco to cop it if they lost. But like others have said ,that attack was clunky as fk and didn't help Tedesco coming in so late. It's not really their fault when the other team has players like DCE who has been in control of that team for many years.but.... I still think Nicho is no where near 100% fit

Did they also mention Luai missed 9 tackles or that Tedesco was his usual roadblock or that Robson had 2 runs or that olakolatu ran like he was in quicksand or that young even played or that Angus Crichton missed 8 tackles on the edge. Are they mentioning Jurbos captains knock?

Could Nicho have kicked better. Absolutely.
could he have made a few different choices. Sure.

but to say he was the worst NSW player is ridiculous.
Respect the Narrative© man.

Weaponhead

Coach
Hasnt Yeo Failed every game at Sof origin he's played ? Maybe played one good one when NSW already on top. Great Player for Panthers but doesn't work at SoO level .....

AND what about the Captains knock ? Got right last name , anyway.

Less said about Yawnion bloke the better Why pick guy going to yawnion anyway ?

Id think no less of Nicho if he never plays SoO again but comes back and wins a premiership or three for sharks .
Yeo and Cleary have not adapted their game to Origin. They run Panthers shapes, and the QLD edges move up quickly and eat it up. Luai bounces around, doesn't do much and is a poor defender.

Jurbo is a good defender but offers precisely nothing with the ball. They needed a monster game from Payne Haas and didn't get it.

Weird bench with only 1 prop and 2 edge players. NSW has to play a power game to disrupt the QLD line. They try to go around QLD and it doesn't work. QLD play much more direct and run.

Hynes was off the pace with his kicking (apart from the Lomax try, which was well executed) and had some poor moments in defence, but Madge was way too slow to make an adjustment, which left him posted. Anyway, Nicho will get dropped for Moses. Get yourself fit and have a monster second half of the season.

PJ

First Grade
If anyone has been watching Suaalii the last couple of years he has accidents written all over his game. The high tackles and knee lifting have never been corrected.
He was always a major gamble pick.
Lucky he plays for the rorters then.

jc155776

Coach
How many of the NSW team are just there for the pay check.

the fact that a bloke who was laughing about NSW losing and saying he supports qld two years ago was picked kinda sums it up.

It’s such a pointless game that just wrecks the NRL season. I enjoyed it more when it was played over three consecutive weekends end of year

How many of the NSW team are just there for the pay check.

the fact that a bloke who was laughing about NSW losing and saying he supports qld two years ago was picked kinda sums it up.

It’s such a pointless game that just wrecks the NRL season. I enjoyed it more when it was played over three consecutive weekends end of year
It kills a third of the season, with the rise of the pacific nations, there has to be questions asked why there can't be some sort of origin/international break for 3 weeks or so to not dilute the actual main competition for so long. Something has to give

DJDL

First Grade

Pretty much.
He debuted in 2020.
Since then NSW have lost 3 of 4 series.
It's not entirely on him, but he just ain't Origin material IMHO.

As someone mentioned earlier, he stifles the attack.
He's a prime example of stats being misleading.
He's down for 125 run metres, second only to Crighton amongst the forwards.
But how many of those metres were him getting in the way of an attacking raid?
Honestly, I lost count last night of the number of times he came in when the Blues had shape one way or the other and he changed direction, jumped about, tried to find a way through and pretty much just killed the movement.

I thought Maguire starting McInnes over him was recognition that he is not our best option and, if there were other players available, he'd probably miss the cut.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Yep, reminded me of Chad.
Inside ball again and again. If he had a lady mullet it could have been the Chad boy.
He was okay but that ain’t going to cut it. Shouldn’t have even watched it to be honest as he did cop the usual negative from the CH9. AI generated bots - who praised Tedesco even though he played shocking

DJDL

First Grade
To be fair I thought NSW started well.
They were controlling field position and yardage and seemed to be belting the Maroons.

Then there's a 7 tackle set, soft defense and a try.
Next set Suaalii gets sent.
Then Qld run riot for 5 minutes before Madge figures out he needs to stack numbers on the right edge.

Nicho was on a hiding to nothing really.

All in all, it was a very Shark-like, big game effort: look good early, make a couple of errors, concede points, shit the bed.

Frailty

First Grade
To be fair I thought NSW started well.
They were controlling field position and yardage and seemed to be belting the Maroons.

Then there's a 7 tackle set, soft defense and a try.
Next set Suaalii gets sent.
Then Qld run riot for 5 minutes before Madge figures out he needs to stack numbers on the right edge.

Nicho was on a hiding to nothing really.

All in all, it was a very Shark-like, big game effort: look good early, make a couple of errors, concede points, shit the bed.
It would have helped if Slug Trbojevic didn't take a run on the 4th and surrender allowing a slow play the ball.

Hynes was always going to be the scapegoat, and I'm fine if he never plays for NSW again until they can have a selection team that understands that Origin can't run with the 'one organiser and one runner' halves combination. It's no coincidence that Cleary hasn't ever really performed at Origin level. It makes it extremely easy for QLD's defence.

But whilst NSW sticks with that strategy and rewarding Martin and Luai for looking like they're effective when they offer nothing, NSW will continue to fail in Origin.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Only watched to see how Nicho and Cam went. Doubt I'll watch the next one...9 commentary just pisses me off. Hopefully Bitch Moses gets through the next game or 2 and Nicho gets to focus back on the real footy.

fizman

Bench
QLD = State over Club and Country.
NSW = Club and Country over State.

The concept of Origin was to weaken NSW and strengthen QLD so they could fairly compete. Having experienced Origin in both States - NSW is light years away from QLD. It is a cultural ingrained psyche from Lawyers to Tradies - everyone in QLD wears the colours.

This is a fact: If the 17 players that ran out for NSW last night grew up in QLD under the Origin history they would have smashed the current QLD team if they represented NSW.

Another point, QLD could select Jack the Ripper and the media up there would be 100% behind him, the NSW media do everything they can to tear down the NSW squad - at no point are they unified to say this is OUR Team lets give them our support. Always question marks over this player or that player.

It is an absolute shambles. I was just so delighted to see Madam Eye Lashes get smacked, the only shame was he didn't get to come out for a second round.