What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2013 NSW side

BranVan3000

Coach
Tonight really worried me. Pearce and Maloney didn't look up to it against the Melbourne spine. And the Fox commentators mentioned a stat that Pearce and Maloney have gotten the least repeat sets of any combo in the NRL. Very concerning stat

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
I don't know what Daley sees in the Pearce/Maloney combo, anyone with half a brain would surely pick Carney/A Reynolds.

The lack of repeat sets and any decent kicking game in general is going to be fatal in Origin, Queensland will win the first 2 games then they will change the halves for Game 3.

The stage and kick pressure was too much for the Roosters halves tonight, not a good sign for origin.

Last edited:

BranVan3000

Coach
How did Campese go tonight? He has been very solid the last few rounds, better than Pearce

Still don't think Reynolds is ready, even if Pearce sucks.

Crippler

Juniors
hopefully they see the light and make late changes to the NSW team. Also make Slothfield look like a goose as well with his supposed leaked info.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Campo didnt have a great night... long kicking game was awesome, short kicking game needs serious work, too some very poor options and his failure to find touch off a penalty was the turning point in the game

he's not ready for origin which is convenient because i dont think his name has even been uttered by selectors. Maybe next year but probably his time has been and gone.

Fergo was one of the Raiders best and continued to ask questions of a tough Manly defense. Think he played well enough to confirm his place in the side if he wasnt set in stone already

BranVan3000

Coach
Campo didnt have a great night... long kicking game was awesome, short kicking game needs serious work, too some very poor options and his failure to find touch off a penalty was the turning point in the game

he's not ready for origin which is convenient because i dont think his name has even been uttered by selectors. Maybe next year but probably his time has been and gone.

Fergo was one of the Raiders best and continued to ask questions of a tough Manly defense. Think he played well enough to confirm his place in the side if he wasnt set in stone already

Only watched ten minutes but Campese has already set up a try and got a repeat set.
More than Pearce did all night.

And now a try saving tackle

Only reason his name hasn't been mentioned is because Daley idiotically declared Pearce a certainty before the season even started

We need a half to get us repeat sets and a good kicking game. It would give us much more freedom choosing the five eight too

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
The State of Origin NSW team has been named a day early due to a leak. This is the team:

1.Jarryd Hayne (Parramatta Eels)
2.Blake Fergurson (Canberra Raiders)
3.Josh Morris (Canterbury Bulldogs
4.Michael Jennings (Sydney Roosters)
5.Brett Morris (St George Dragons)
6.James Maloney (Sydney Roosters)
7.Mitchell Pearce (Sydney Roosters)
8.Andrew Fifita (Cronulla Sharks)
9.Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers)
10.James Tamou (North Queensland Cowboys)
11.Luke Lewis (Cronulla Sharks)
12.Greg Bird (Gold Coast Titans
13.Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sharks)

Bench:

14.Kurt Gidley (Newcastle Knights)
15.Ryan Hoffman (Melbourne Storm)
16.Anthony Watmough (Manly Sea Eagles)
17.Trent Merrin (St George Dragons)

Good to see the competition leaders with their form players get recognised.

Oh wait, they'll play for Qld.
Can't see that team winning.

BranVan3000

Coach
I don't get why some players not in form get a spot but others not in form do not get a spot?

Grant should be playing if Morris brothers can make it on last year

LatK7

First Grade
I don't know what Daley sees in the Pearce/Maloney combo, anyone with half a brain would surely pick Carney/A Reynolds.

The lack of repeat sets and any decent kicking game in general is going to be fatal in Origin, Queensland will win the first 2 games then they will change the halves for Game 3.

The stage and kick pressure was too much for the Roosters halves tonight, not a good sign for origin.

Pearce played poorly under pressure?

Surely not our Origin hero!

Noname36

First Grade
Watching Pearce/Maloney tonight worried me too.

Hopefully that leak is bullshit and Carney is selected over Maloney. We need at least one playmaker in the side.

I actually liked Tallis' suggestion (which shocked me because I never agree with him) that Carney or Mullen should be picked in the #14 if Maloney is the #6. At least that way if Pearce and Maloney are getting destroyed we have another option. I can see more benefits in that than picking Gidley. I know Gids is there to cover injuries but we really don't need that with Lewis already in the side. It's way too early for Reynolds even on the bench but 18th man maybe.

BranVan3000

Coach
Watching Pearce/Maloney tonight worried me too.

Hopefully that leak is bullshit and Carney is selected over Maloney. We need at least one playmaker in the side.

I actually liked Tallis' suggestion (which shocked me because I never agree with him) that Carney or Mullen should be picked in the #14 if Maloney is the #6. At least that way if Pearce and Maloney are getting destroyed we have another option. I can see more benefits in that than picking Gidley. I know Gids is there to cover injuries but we really don't need that with Lewis already in the side.

I feel sorry for Carney or Maloney, whichever isn't selected. Both deserve a spot more than Mythall.

Noname36

First Grade
I feel sorry for Carney or Maloney, whichever isn't selected. Both deserve a spot more than Mythall.

To be honest I think even Carney/Maloney would be a better pairing even though they're both 5/8s. I think either one of them would do a better job at halfback than Pearce.

Moffo

Referee
Is that the worst bench ever? Gids, a plodder in Hoffman, captain AWOL Watmong and Merrin (who I will grant you as being ok)

Shocking...we are going to get towelled

And no props on the bench? fmd

timka4

Bench
Maloney comes up against a structured defense and everyone can see why he didn't play well. He isn't overly creative and Pearce isn't either. Maloney can run good lines and too be honest that's the best part of his game, which we do not want in our origin halves as their best trait. Carney should easily be the 5/8...

This will be Pearce's last year in the 7 if he fails, because the pressure of A. Reynolds is to high to hold Pearce in 7 again next year if he fails this year. So it's up to Pearce really with his future.

If Laurie is there next yr then pearce will be .
remember his rationale for keeping Pearce this yr..He knows what its like to lose .

Same again next yr.

Mr Saab

Referee
Tonight really worried me. Pearce and Maloney didn't look up to it against the Melbourne spine. And the Fox commentators mentioned a stat that Pearce and Maloney have gotten the least repeat sets of any combo in the NRL. Very concerning stat

As yoda said to Luke ...that is why you fail . And that is why nsw has failed the past few yrs at least