What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2013 NSW side

big hit!

Bench
That leaked team is rubbish. It's too small to do anything to Queensland pack and with Hoffman and Gidley's past it's like playing 15 on 17. Also not a fan of Maloney over Carney, Carney is so much better at playmaking than him.

It's good to know at least a few folk in NSW can look beyond the wet dream of our back rowers and realise that the smaller forward pack will once again get out muscled when the game has to be won heading into the 60-70th minute.

NSW need to open up the scoring and practically play an error and penalty-free game to make sure they complete more sets and put QLD deep into their own defensive 20m regularly. otherwise, they lose.

the smaller mobile backrow is BS unless they can keep the ball out of QLD's hands.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
I prefer Maloney to Carney. Maloney is more of an origin type of character. Carney isn't strong enough.

John Sutton is one of the form players of the comp. He would be so much better than Gidley as the utility option. He can play in the backs if necessary but unlike Gidley he's also a real option to help as part of the forwards rotation.

And Merritt is more in form and a better winger than both of those wingers Supercoach Daley has named.

And not to mention the best halfback in NSW isn't playing.

In what universe is Merritt better than Morris? Morris is just as good a finisher as Merritt (if not better), and his defence is about 1000000 times better than Merritt.

watatank

Coach
I think NSW sees an advantage in the backrow...which may have been fair enough if Paul Gallen was a part of that. But he's been moved to prop and that has effectively weakening both positions. All for what? Hoffman? To add to that, Watmough isn't picked to start which just compounds the mistake.

Can't believe Grant and Woods get overlooked. They're exactly the type of players that can match QLD. They're exactly what NSW need...Big, strong, tall, athletic props who are effective and get through plenty of work in attack and defence.

BranVan3000

Coach
In what universe is Merritt better than Morris? Morris is just as good a finisher as Merritt (if not better), and his defence is about 1000000 times better than Merritt.

Just as good a finisher :lol:

2013:
Nathan Merritt tries - 11
Brett Morris - 3

Career-wise, Merritt's tries to games played strike rate is 73% and Morris's 65%. And Merritt has been playing longer

Still, I think Josh should be missing out more than Brett. Brett has been consistent over the years even the past two when Dragons have been down. Josh is on and off - and this year he has been way off

Ladmate

Bench
It's good to know at least a few folk in NSW can look beyond the wet dream of our back rowers and realise that the smaller forward pack will once again get out muscled when the game has to be won heading into the 60-70th minute.

NSW need to open up the scoring and practically play an error and penalty-free game to make sure they complete more sets and put QLD deep into their own defensive 20m regularly. otherwise, they lose.

the smaller mobile backrow is BS unless they can keep the ball out of QLD's hands.

Yeah. In theory, they are planning to run Queensland around the park and open holes. In reality, Smith/Cronk/JT will trap NSW in their own half with good success due to their kicking game. At the beginning I suspect NSW will do well and make some good metres, but it won't last. Guys like Hoffman and Gidley, offer absolutely nothing to the game and weaken the bench. Replace them with Grant and Woods and I like the chances much better of winning.

Tamou
Farah
Grant
Lewis
Bird
Gallen

Watmough
Fifita
Woods
Merrin

That forward pack can outmuscle Queensland. This one, not so much.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Just as good a finisher :lol:

2013:
Nathan Merritt tries - 11
Brett Morris - 3

Career-wise, Merritt's tries to games played strike rate is 73% and Morris's 65%. And Merritt has been playing longer

Still, I think Josh should be missing out more than Brett. Brett has been consistent over the years even the past two when Dragons have been down. Josh is on and off - and this year he has been way off

Ohh yes... must be the reason everybody seems to have Morris in their team but pretty much nobody has Merritt.

BranVan3000

Coach
Ohh yes... must be the reason everybody seems to have Morris in their team but pretty much nobody has Merritt.

He is incumbent and because there is an ingrained negativity around here because Merritt has been brushed for so long despite being the NRL's best try scorer

In any case, you said Morris is a better finisher, which is factually wrong.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Bran, the peaheart 10m-out speciallist you're so obsessed with isn't half the player Morris is and he won't be playing SOO.

tumbidragon

First Grade
He is incumbent and because there is an ingrained negativity around here because Merritt has been brushed for so long despite being the NRL's best try scorer

In any case, you said Morris is a better finisher, which is factually wrong.
[youtube]VmDtx5dKko0[/youtube] Yeah... What a finisher :roll:

lol@souffs!

RHCP

Bench
Merritt is the smartest man in rugby league, he conserves energy to score more tries by taking a maximum of three steps before he falls over the line (never run over the line, rookie mistake). Brett Morris, Blake Ferguson, Aku Uate, etc., all waste a lot of energy with footwork, strength and pace and actually making metres with the ball.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Sick of seeing Gallen picked as a prop, just because he can play there doesn't mean the best side means picking him there. Not having Woods is a mistake.

Tyko7

Juniors
I don't have a big problem with Maloney over Carney. I think they both play at about the same level for their teams. It will be interesting to see how Maloney plays tonight against Melbourne. It could make or break him.

The problem I have is Pearce and Gidley.
What is the definition for insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
Pearce; Good club player, crap rep player. Time to give someone else a crack.

Gidley; What can I say? If there is a poll for the most over-rated player to play Origin... Where would you put him?

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Merritt is the smartest man in rugby league, he conserves energy to score more tries by taking a maximum of three steps before he falls over the line (never run over the line, rookie mistake). Brett Morris, Blake Ferguson, Aku Uate, etc., all waste a lot of energy with footwork, strength and pace and actually making metres with the ball.

:lol: True story

soc123_au

Staff member
Origin quality defence by Brett Morris tonight. Being outplayed by Dean Whare

To be fair you should have said, Morris after a couple of week layoff was outplayed tonight by Penriths New Zealand International representative centre Dean Whare.

I call Bullshit on that team anyway. If Tim Grant misses out & Gidley is picked it is a f**king travesty.