What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2k18

mxlegend99

Referee
our origin turnarounds are really bad and it annoys me. Raiders 2 days after Origin 1. Sharks 2 days after Origin 3.
Players prefer a 2 day turnaround though after Origin matches.

We should have 2 benchies backing up. Who can both play big minutes so if they get less minutes it really wouldnt be a much bigger workload. Might only each play a total of 80 minutes.

Halves will no doubt play 160minutes in the 3 days though. Cleary is young and in ridiculous shape. Maloney might struggle with it. Although we could rest one after Origin 1. The other after Origin 3 and partner them with Tyrone May for a game each. If they font fedl fit to play that is. They could be sweet still.

Kev07

Juniors
I'd expect Luai & May could possibly be picked for Samoa in Pacific Test Match.
Katoa also will be picked for Tonga.

franklin2323

Immortal
Cleary is probably the more likely you’d think, given his youth.

If he backs up, even with Maloney, Peachey and RCG rested you could see us travelling ok.

We could have Cleary at 7, Wallace at 6, Katoa at Hooker, and Blake hopefully back at centre. Peach could also then get a rest. May could join the bench (or we could stick with Egan). Alternatively we could go with Cleary at 7, May at 6, keep Wallace at hooker and have Katoa on the bench.

Doesn’t look like the Raiders will have anyone backing up, except possibly Cotric (although looks like he will be in the reserves). At least Tapine will be out due to suspension.

Maloney has backed up in previous years so can Atleast pass on his knowledge. This is when someone like Tyrone May comes in handy.

Friday night is apparently the easiest night to backup compared to later in the week so let's hope.

OldPanther

Coach
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/05/28/knee-injury-a-blessing-in-disguise-for-cleary/

Knee injury a blessing in disguise for Cleary

Nathan Cleary's chances of playing State of Origin football were in doubt two months ago but now the Panthers halfback is set to take New South Wales into a new era.

As revealed by NRL.com on Sunday night, Cleary has won the race for the NSW halfback spot and will play alongside Penrith teammate James Maloney in the halves at the MCG on June 6.

It caps a remarkable turnaround for the 20-year-old, who admitted following Saturday night's win over St George Illawarra that missing seven weeks with the first major injury of his career had given him a new perspective.
"I think it's kind of been a silver lining, my injury, in a way," Cleary said.

"I was lucky with the staff I have here, I'm grateful for that. They really got me right and got me confident to feel like I was 100 percent to play.

"It's let me look at the game from a coach perspective and see how a team works. It's developed me a lot.
"I tried to spend a lot of time around the team and watch Jimmy [Maloney] working with Peach [Tyrone Peachey] in the halves, and just watching a lot of video. It was good to be around the team so I could come back and slot straight in."

Cleary will become Maloney's fourth Holden State of Origin halves partner in the last three years.

The pair have featured in just four games at club level due to Cleary's injury, but Saturday night's big win over the Dragons couldn't have gone any better.

"It's been good, I can't credit Jimmy enough," Cleary said.

"He's really easy to play alongside and is a world class half, but not too dominant. That really helps with us getting along and our combination is building.

"There is still a lot of improvement but were on the right track."

NSW coach Brad Fittler has reportedly been concerned with the culture of the NSW system over previous seasons under former coach Laurie Daley, with the new leader set to axe several incumbent players.

But given Fittler's larrikin nature himself, Maloney is considered an exception.

"He's actually taken it pretty easy on me, he hasn't given me too much of a hard time. He's always into Reg [Campbell-Gillard] and Trent Merrin so I'm lucky there," Cleary said.

"He's come into this team and bought a good vibe. He keeps everyone calm and everyone has a good time but when we're on the training field it's 100 percent switched on and he's the leader of that.

"I knew him at the Warriors and Dad warned me what he was like. We have a few coffee dates where we can but it's just about spending time together and getting to know our games. The best way to build it though is to play more games, it's only a matter of time."

mxlegend99

Referee
I agree. Our depth is second to none.
Even beyond our depth. We have been disrupted through the season and coped well enough.

It has given us experience we didn't have in Round 1. Crichton. Hetherington. Ellis. Philips. Egan.

Even Katoa is getting a lot of extra experience. Guys who werent viewed as top 17 players at the time.

tripster

Juniors
Even beyond our depth. We have been disrupted through the season and coped well enough.

It has given us experience we didn't have in Round 1. Crichton. Hetherington. Ellis. Philips. Egan.

Even Katoa is getting a lot of extra experience. Guys who werent viewed as top 17 players at the time.

Definitely. There are so many things this season, in terms of management and coaching, that have impressed me (in addition to how well the young guys coming through have performed).

Signing Tyrone Phillips in the off season was, with the benefit of hindsight, an excellent decision. Who could have predicted that we would lose Mansour and Edwards and Blake for extended periods and need to rely on Phillips? However, clearly the coach thought we needed the extra-backup, and he's been very good for us.

Signing Maloney in a swap for Moylan. That's turned out to be masterstroke.

Moving Cartwright on.

The approach to the bench of debuting new forwards, and debuting other players when appropriate, and actually giving them minutes on the field, so we have more players with first grade experience to draw upon and extending our depth.

The timing of our interchanges during games has also been excellent.

mxlegend99

Referee
Regarding debutants... that's kinda out of our hands. Injuries dictated that.

I doubt we would have had any until the Origin period if we stayed fit. The injuries are supposedly putting pressure on the cap too. I dont see how considering we've had 2x season ending injuries and Carty leave 100% off our books. Mckendry might not get an allowance as its a recurring injury. But Browne should and Carty was on $500k. We havent added anyone new. So we should be able to upgrade guys easily on this years cap.

TheFrog

Coach
The injuries are supposedly putting pressure on the cap too. I dont see how considering we've had 2x season ending injuries and Carty leave 100% off our books.
Gus said in his podcast that bottom end players in the squad are on incentives, which apply if they play a certain number of games in first grade. These incentives increase their salary next year.

Kilkenny

Coach
Gus said in his podcast that bottom end players in the squad are on incentives, which apply if they play a certain number of games in first grade. These incentives increase their salary next year.

Indeed, the salary cap is a very complicated and very challenging for all clubs to manage.

The difficulty for Gould is year in year out we develop our juniors, many of whom graduate to the NRL. It is a real juggling act, who to keep, who to let go, which of the Flegg/Ball to retain etc etc. Many of the other clubs, if not most, don't have these sort of issue's, certainly not to the same degree.