What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 3 TV ratings

Green Machine

First Grade
With all those pubs and clubs packed on State of Origin nights and the crowds in pubs and clubs on weekends watching NRL, I wonder what the true audience for Rugby league is,

Green Machine said:
With all those pubs and clubs packed on State of Origin nights and the crowds in pubs and clubs on weekends watching NRL, I wonder what the true audience for Rugby league is,

About 150x union.

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
Woods99 said:
Are you stalking me, GM?

I am amazed at your consistent FICTIONAL remarks- I would add that you are the one stalking this LEAGUE forum.

Now i doubt that a YAWNION forum exists and if on the slight chance that it does, it obviously isn't exciting enough for you to indulge YAWNION's widespread discussion in Australian households of its success and related topics-if any!?

Finally, i would like to say as a general sports fan, that like the majority of Australians, including one self-confessed intellectual like yourself, the NRL is becoming the most exciting sport by an ascending margin because it is everything that YAWNION will never be- fun, tense, close, dramatic, tribal, gladiatorial, youthful, passionate and many other adjectives can be applied to describe why is it so!

For an intellectual like yourself to try and convince anyone otherwise means that either you are delusional to the extreme, which is very likely, or that you are so jealous of the NRL that by downgrading it somehow may close the gigantic gap between YAWNION and the NRL. In fact, these two sports should not be compared as they are on different pages of the novel-with the NRL FRONTPAGE always!

Woods99

Juniors
GAMEFIRST said:
I am amazed at your consistent FICTIONAL remarks- I would add that you are the one stalking this LEAGUE forum.

Now i doubt that a YAWNION forum exists and if on the slight chance that it does, it obviously isn't exciting enough for you to indulge YAWNION's widespread discussion in Australian households of its success and related topics-if any!?

Finally, i would like to say as a general sports fan, that like the majority of Australians, including one self-confessed intellectual like yourself, the NRL is becoming the most exciting sport by an ascending margin because it is everything that YAWNION will never be- fun, tense, close, dramatic, tribal, gladiatorial, youthful, passionate and many other adjectives can be applied to describe why is it so!

For an intellectual like yourself to try and convince anyone otherwise means that either you are delusional to the extreme, which is very likely, or that you are so jealous of the NRL that by downgrading it somehow may close the gigantic gap between YAWNION and the NRL. In fact, these two sports should not be compared as they are on different pages of the novel-with the NRL FRONTPAGE always!

Thanks for your comments. When you grow up and do some travelling, you will notice that most of the rest of the world thinks differently to you and the working class of Eastern Australia.

Woods99

Juniors
Green Machine said:

Who cares?

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
Woods99 said:
Thanks for your comments. When you grow up and do some travelling, you will notice that most of the rest of the world thinks differently to you and the working class of Eastern Australia.

I travel 9 months of the calender year and the "rest of the world" definately don't have any passion for Rugby in Europe as some like intellectuals like your self make out.
Why?
Perhaps because its run by a very minor few rich, cash flush people who keep the game from totally sinking.
My time in England and New Zealand as well as Italy was dominated by soccer and surprisingly in NZ, I found NRL gets good newspaper coverage if not quite the YAWNION page numbers-but very close.
In England, including London people are aware of the big League clubs like Wigan, Leeds and St Helens-they have a HUGE touch competition aside from the ratings of SuperLeague matches on Sky being excellent, indicative of the size of their new tv-deal.
As for YAWNION, well the "rest of the world" must be going all quiet when there are other more entertaining sports to watch & comment about.

The YAWNION world game is so strong that it is the 4th rated sport in Australia & cannot even get free-to-air tv in SUPER 14-I WONDER WHY?

Your so called world game comes alive every 4 years for the so called world cup, but in between it is all sterile! lol:)

Woods99

Juniors
GAMEFIRST said:
I travel 9 months of the calender year and the "rest of the world" definately don't have any passion for Rugby in Europe as some like intellectuals like your self make out.
Why?
Perhaps because its run by a very minor few rich, cash flush people who keep the game from totally sinking.
My time in England and New Zealand as well as Italy was dominated by soccer and surprisingly in NZ, I found NRL gets good newspaper coverage if not quite the YAWNION page numbers-but very close.
In England, including London people are aware of the big League clubs like Wigan, Leeds and St Helens-they have a HUGE touch competition aside from the ratings of SuperLeague matches on Sky being excellent, indicative of the size of their new tv-deal.
As for YAWNION, well the "rest of the world" must be going all quiet when there are other more entertaining sports to watch & comment about.

The YAWNION world game is so strong that it is the 4th rated sport in Australia & cannot even get free-to-air tv in SUPER 14-I WONDER WHY?

Your so called world game comes alive every 4 years for the so called world cup, but in between it is all sterile! lol:)

The rest of the world knows a whole lot more about rugby than about league. So however much you belittle rugby, it is at least a viable international sport, with a recognised international body, a world cup which takes place every four years, and a strong international playing schedule. Notice any similarities with league? No, I thought not.

linny

Juniors
Woods99 said:
Who cares?

I'd like to know what the actual ratings for the State Of Origin are if you took into account for people watching the game together and at pubs/clubs.

The State of Origin series is an event that alot of people actually get together and watch which would make the change in numbers quite significant

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
Woods99 said:
The rest of the world knows a whole lot more about rugby than about league. So however much you belittle rugby, it is at least a viable international sport, with a recognised international body, a world cup which takes place every four years, and a strong international playing schedule. Notice any similarities with league? No, I thought not.

No doubt YAWNION is viable my boy, but the Olympics also have an international body with a world event every 4 years with over 200 countries competing at an EVEN standard of competition where not only NZ,Aus.,England and perhaps France win the thing always-
AND- do we care about the Olympics until it comes around-NO!

YAWNION belittle's itself without my help by it's shown product that is supposes to be entertaining & the "world" game- but like the Olympics-who really cares?
Answer-WOODS99 and a few rich men on the IRB Board!

Don't blame me for belittling YAWNION when it's so little that only you care!:) :sarcasm:

eelandia

Juniors
Mr_Ugly said:
I don't think you're right about that Woods. I'd be surprised if either the satellite service or digital terrestrial tv had any feedback system. Surely this would require some sort of transmission mechanism from the home to "beam" the data back to the tv station. [EDIT: Have since been corrected about Foxtel Satellite - apparently relays info by phone line - my mistake!]

I have a couple of set top boxes for terrestrial digital tv (gives me a couple of extra channels in Tassie), and they certainly have no way to feed info back to the tv stations.

That's only if you have it plugged in. I personally only plug the phone line in (for Fox digital) if I am going to order a Pay for View movie or event. Could skew their results if others are like me.

In regards to TV Ratings, I believe the Neilsen setup used to enforce the viewer to physically press a button every 15 mins to register what they were watching. Technology has come a long way in the last 10 yrs though.

Paley

Juniors
The TV companies can't just poll your set top box to see what you are watching - so they don't.

All the TV ratings come from using statistical sampling - they are accurate enough for billions of dollars of advertising revenue and programme production budgets to be spent around the world based on them.

I realise that some like Woods believe the union ratings are less accurate than the rugby ratings because the union fan prefers to watch the game in an upmarket venue but that's just a nonsense.

taipan

Referee
Woods99 said:
Who cares?

What a stupid response.The advertisers,companies,NRL and the TV stations care.No wonder rugby league is called the peoples game.
520,000 watched the Saints v Bulldogs on TV,yet pubs and clubs had the match also in city and suburbs,watched by many of Wood's "upper" class fraternity.
A media comment was made that when all the clubs pubs etc were taken into account the soccer involving Oz, had 8million.

flamin

Juniors
Was this the highest rating State of Origin ever as far as the 5 capital audience? I heard that this was the first time origin has past the 2 million mark.

Green Machine

First Grade
Woods99 said:
Who cares?

You care Woods. That’s who cares. Plus the millions of other Australians. What did you think Woods, weren’t they a lovely set of numbers, those TV ratings, old c**k? Didn’t you feel proud to be part of a huge TV audience, Woodsy?

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
thatsgood said:
Was this the highest rating State of Origin ever as far as the 5 capital audience? I heard that this was the first time origin has past the 2 million mark.

Yes it reached 2.4 Mil accross all capital cities-if you add the regional viewers which they quoted to be 1.3 Mil, then you have a total Australian Tv audience of 3.7 Mil.

Woods99- You are so quiet lately that you may have deceased!:lol: :cool:

Woods must of been part of the 64,000 people watching the bloodyslow cup in melbourne on TV..union really is thriving down there! put a side down there quick to capitalise!

what a spectacle.

I'd hate to be a union administrator.

No free to air tv for the 'super' fagteen
Can't sell out test matches
no-one watching test matches on tv
no-one wants to buy the rights to the world cup
decreased pay tv deal for additional content/games
trying to prop up another franchise that is not making ends meet and can't win a chook raffle
Another unsupported unsustainable tier of the code about to be introduced.
No junior talent emerging to take the place of old hacks
No good leaguies wanting to come across
And no world cup in Australia coming to save you financially for over a decade!

oh oh hey woods?:p

Woods99

Juniors
Green Machine said:
You care Woods. That’s who cares. Plus the millions of other Australians. What did you think Woods, weren’t they a lovely set of numbers, those TV ratings, old c**k? Didn’t you feel proud to be part of a huge TV audience, Woodsy?

GM,

I care about the ratings for Origin Of the Species as much as I care about the ratings for "Big Brother", pro wrestling, or stock car racing.

I don't watch any of them.

Nor do I consider the ratings to be much more than a barometer of the mediocrity of popular taste.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Woods99

Juniors
GAMEFIRST said:
Yes it reached 2.4 Mil accross all capital cities-if you add the regional viewers which they quoted to be 1.3 Mil, then you have a total Australian Tv audience of 3.7 Mil.

Woods99- You are so quiet lately that you may have deceased!:lol: :cool:

You can always find me at Planet Rugby.

Green Machine

First Grade
Woods99 said:
GM,

I care about the ratings for Origin Of the Species as much as I care about the ratings for "Big Brother", pro wrestling, or stock car racing.

I don't watch any of them.

Nor do I consider the ratings to be much more than a barometer of the mediocrity of popular taste.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Sure Woods. What the f**k, if you’re going to moan like a big girls blouse, how about I post them again:

Viewing Figures:
Match Average: Kick off to Full Time
Sydney - 1,015,000
Brisbane - 731,000
Melbourne - 388,000
Adelaide - 89,000
Regional NSW/Queensland - 1,171,000

Telecast Average: Complete coverage
Sydney - 925,000
Brisbane - 685,000
Melbourne - 374,000
Adelaide - 90,000
Regional NSW/Queensland - 958,000

Match Peak:
Sydney - 1,102,000
Brisbane - 768,000
Melbourne - 418,000
Adelaide - 107,000
Regional NSW/Queensland - 1,229,000

ATR data prepared by NBN Television; OZTAM data prepared with the assistance of Channel 9 note that the match was not telecast in Perth on the Nine Network.

Woods99

Juniors
International RL said:
Woods must of been part of the 64,000 people watching the bloodyslow cup in melbourne on TV..union really is thriving down there! put a side down there quick to capitalise!

what a spectacle.

I'd hate to be a union administrator.

Don't worry about it, it won't happen. We prefer people with some sort of education.

No free to air tv for the 'super' fagteen
Can't sell out test matches
no-one watching test matches on tv
no-one wants to buy the rights to the world cup
decreased pay tv deal for additional content/games
trying to prop up another franchise that is not making ends meet and can't win a chook raffle
Another unsupported unsustainable tier of the code about to be introduced.
No junior talent emerging to take the place of old hacks
No good leaguies wanting to come across
And no world cup in Australia coming to save you financially for over a decade!

oh oh hey woods?:p

Plenty of junior talent. Australia just won the under 19 World Cup, and made the semis of the under 21s.

The Force is not making ends meet? That's a scoop. Are you a journalist?

According to David Gallop, no NRL franchises can exist without financial help either from a licensed club, or an outside party, or maybe chook raffles for all I know.

Nobody ever went broke catering for the top of the market, which rugby does.

As for attendances at internationals, cast an envious little eye at the admission prices. You don't need to fill a ground to make a motza, if the prices are high enough.