What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Osborne has a cry.. Over nothing.

backdoor

Juniors
A day will come when Osborne doesn't play the "victim" card.

Not sure that it will be any day soon though.

Glenn

First Grade
I think the Roosters might have more local juniors than the Dogs now

Not that it would be hard.
The dogs juniors would be better off heading to other NRL teams or CRL teams, they would get more of a look in there.

hey doggies, remember last year, prelim final? what was the score again?

I know how the sooks are, you lot were sooking after that game.

Ridders

Coach
0,,6910314,00.jpg

This is probably the proudest moment for an entire generation of Dragons fans :lol:

Last edited:

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Damn straight we're the ultimate poachers. The best management in the game has done a tremendous job of picking up talent whether it be from other clubs or with lower grade talent like Barba who was signed to play Flegg.

Sure we might not have many true juniors in our current top side (I'm talking local area juniors) but which club does? I'd be interested to know how many clubs actually have pure bred local juniors in their top grade side and if it's more than 5.

We are breeding some of the best young talent. Just have a look at our dominating HM and SG ball sides. We have nothing to worry about. The mix of junior talent with strong recruits is the perfect blend for success.

Last edited:

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
A fantastic article here that I've just finished reading, despite the fact it was written by MattO.

http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=35300
Sunday 7 Feb 2010 12:12
by Matthew O'Neill

Parramatta Chief Executive Paul Osborne has made the accusation that the Bulldogs have problems in recruitment and development without looking into the Eels past.

Osborne has today made the extraordinary claim in the Sun Herald with news that the Bulldogs have expressed an interest in securing the services of Parramatta playmaker Kris Keating if Daniel Mortimer remains with the Eels.

Canterbury-Bankstown Chief Executive Todd Greenberg said that Keating is a player they have identified as a player they might be keen to secure with veteran halfback Brett Kimmorley poised to pull up stumps on his outstanding career.

Greenberg said, ''We've got a list of players that are in an interest section of a spreadsheet and [Keating's] name is on it.

''We haven't made any approaches or offers to him, but we've identified him as a player of interest."

Greenberg added, "We'll let Paul run the Eels and we'll do our best to run the Bulldogs."

Osborne made the foolish remarks and said, ''They clearly have some problems in their recruitment and development that they need to sort out.

"I suspected they'd be interested in Kris - I'm not surprised.

"I'm not too worried about the Bulldogs circling. It just reaffirms what a good system we've got here. It fills me with a lot of pride that we're doing such a good job.

"They probably need to spend more money on their junior programs instead of trying to sign our kids.

"I like to help Toddy out as much as I can, but that might be stretching the friendship."

Greenberg has made a fool of Osborne and allowed the former Raiders forward and ACT politician to play the futures of his off contract players out in the media where the asking prices of the Eels players will continue to go through the roof.

What Osborne fails to point out that the Eels will have salary cap problems in 2010 as they spent a fortune to poach Justin Poore (Dragons) and Shane Shackleton (Roosters) from rival clubs and also spent a fair bit to lure Timana Tahu from a rival sport.

In 1996 Parramatta got coined the 'nine million flops' when they spent an extraordinary amount of dollars to sign the best talent in the game including Bulldogs quartet Dean Pay, Jason Smith, Jim Dymock and Jarrod McCracken and also snared Bulldogs lower grade player Scott Davey, who made his first grade debut in 1995.

Pay, Dymock and Smith all played in Canterbury's 1995 grand final triumph whilst Davey was a non-playing reserve and McCracken was dropped from the squad due to a long list of offences most notably when he boycotted Terry Lamb's farewell presentation at Belmore Sports Ground.

Not to mention that cashed up junior league clubs in the Parramatta district that do well from poker machine licenses can seem to snare good talents in other areas nearby for cheap registration fees at the ages of 13-15 just before they reach junior representative levels.

The Bulldogs have one of the best development and recruitment systems in place following the change of leadership at Canterbury in 2008 when a boardroom coup saw the demise of Chief Executive Malcolm Noad, powerful Director Barry Phillis and their band of supporters.

The Noad/Phillis era will officially be put to bed following the League Club elections next month with the Football Club's four nominations to have three new faces along with club legends Terry Lamb and Chris Anderson to challenge for two of the three vacant board positions from the floor. They will be challenging Tony Charlton - a close friend of Phillis and supporter of the failed Bateau Bay Club venture and rebel director Martin Puckeridge, who is nearing the age of 80, offers no positive or business value and has fallen out with many prominent people at the Football and League Club's.

With a new board in place Chairman Dr George Peponis finally gained control of the boardroom after five and a half years in the job and implemented many positive initiatives into the Bulldogs operations.

Greenberg was appointed Chief Executive and he provided a positive breath of fresh air for the Bulldogs and changed its perception and outlook throughout the media and Rugby League community.

Peter Mulholland was brought in as Recruitment and Development Manager and in 2009 the Bulldogs won both the Harold Matthews and SG Ball competitions, which also doubled up as the ARL National Competition with the top four sides from the Cyril Connell and Mal Meninga competitions also taking part.

In a short space of time Mulholland has proved he is by far the best in the junior recruitment and development business in the game today and the best Canterbury has ever had in his field.

With Mulholland in charge and the old Canterbury network back in place due to the traditional values that people such as Peponis, Greenberg, coach Kevin Moore and directors Ray Dib, Barry Ward, Arthur Coorey, Andrew Farrar and Paul Dunn hold the Bulldogs are the leading club when it comes to player development, player welfare and signing the right recruits.

The Bulldogs copped plenty of criticism for their recruits last year, but they all proved to be outstanding and improved their football under Moore and the Bulldogs coaching and training setup. Four of their recruits previously played under Wayne Bennett, but in 2009 played their best career football in the Blue & White colours. The Dragons have basically admitted allowing Josh Morris to leave so easily was basically a mistake and Cronulla's demise along with Canterbury's rise can be pointed to Kimmorley changing clubs.

Osborne is entitled to his opinion, but the Bulldogs have a long way to go before they can the Eels in terms of players switching between clubs, Parramatta will face salary cap trouble due to big name purchases from elsewhere and the Bulldogs won the U16 and U18 ARL National Competitions last year.

Parramatta doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to criticising the Canterbury club for player recruitments following the signings of Pay, Dymock, Jason Smith and McCracken following the 1995 season and all four players failed to play in the Grand Final when in Eels colours.

Osborne has done a good job so far at Parramatta, but he's fast making his predecessor Denis Fitzgerald look like Mother Teresa and his own self-importance could end up being his downfall and the Eels premiership drought could extend well beyond the 23 years it currently stands at.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
I think a more appropriate term is: "Bred and bought". The games best recruitment team mixed with some of the best local talent going around. Ahhh, smells like success.

How did Cronulla go last year? You sure do have a mighty bunch of new recruits for this season, hey? Say hi to Barrett for me.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
SOME of the best local talent, yep. We dominated HM and SG ball in 2009 and the talent we have there is immense. Now I didn't say THE best, so don't put words into my mouth. But the fact remains, we have an excellent junior system and some fantastic talent coming through in HM and SG.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
That you do.

This thread has taught me a lot. So guys, whenever your CEO comes up with a silly quote you can just argue 'he's just stirring the pot'. That way he's absolved of all blame.

With that said, I can understand the Eels frustration.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Sure we might not have many true juniors in our current top side (I'm talking local area juniors) but which club does? I'd be interested to know how many clubs actually have pure bred local juniors in their top grade side and if it's more than 5.
Parra 2009 GF team:

Hayne - local junior
Burt - country kid brought to Parra in teens
Grothe - local junior (well, officially Wests area but was always an Eel and came straight to Eels)
Inu - local junior
Reddy - South Australia, came to Parra as teen

Mortimer - country kid brought to Parra in teens
Robson - country kid brought to Parra in teens, left then came back

Lowrie - import
Ben Smith - country kid brought to Parra in teens
Hindmarsh- country kid brought to Parra in teens
Cayless - local junior
Keating - local junior
Fui - import

Mannah - local junior
Kingston - import
Mateo - local junior
Guluvao - import

Summary of Top 17:
Local Juniors - 6.5 (Grothe as the 0.5)
players brought to parra as teenagers - 6.5
imports - 4

You may think that the advent of Poore, Shackleton and Tahu will add to the imports, but two of the players that will make way - Guluvau and Lowrie - are imports, and if local junior Kris Keating comes in it will be at the expense of import Kingston too.

A far as I can see, you guys had about 2 local juniors (Hickey and Hazam) in your prelim team last year, and a couple of country boys that came to the Dogs as teens.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Robson started out at Parra after coming from the country. he then wen to Manly and returned to Parra