What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: American footy thread

Eelectrica

Referee
The stupidity of golden point in playoff/finals matches astounds me. Bills deserved the chance to respond.
I can understand it in regular season (except in comps where draws are still recognised - just f**ken have draws NRL) but in playoffs they at least need to go with the old soccer silver point extra time (2 OT halves, full first half if some leads at changeover they win, 2nd half is golden point). I know the NFL is a bastardised golden point but that was still unfair to Bills. Best regular time game I’ve seen possibly ever, should’ve let them play it out in OT.
Even if the Bills respond, the chiefs still hit back again. Defense was done for both teams at that point.

Chiefs got hit with OT in a similar situation in 2018, this time it flips the other way. Probably why some teams try and take OT out of the equation by going for 2 after scoring their final TD. Bills go for 2 on their last TD and possibly make it 37-33. Game over, Bills win.

Honestly, it was just a great game.

84 Baby

Referee
Even if the Bills respond, the chiefs still hit back again. Defense was done for both teams at that point.

Chiefs got hit with OT in a similar situation in 2018, this time it flips the other way. Probably why some teams try and take OT out of the equation by going for 2 after scoring their final TD. Bills go for 2 on their last TD and possibly make it 37-33. Game over, Bills win.

Honestly, it was just a great game.
Defence was done but eventually someone drops a pass or misses a kick or something. At the very least it didn’t warrant a golden point finish. If Chiefs didn’t score and Bills went down field and did, I’d have said the same thing.
2 point conversion at end would’ve been ballsy, if they don’t convert they definitely at mercy of Chiefs kicker because as you say defence was done, Chiefs were always getting that field goal chance.

Definitely a great game. I just think the ending may prompt NFL to review their OT rules

Ron Jeremy

Coach
There’s always that risk and they backed their defence over their special teams which is totally understandable. Obviously 13 sec is the new benchmark when making these decisions now against hof qbs

I can see the argument for the squib, but both Allen & Mahomes have cannons for arms there is no place safe on the field with those two.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
How’s this for a scenario. Brady leaves Tampa as their window could be over with the salary cap and free agents. Signs a one year deal to finish in San Fran as per his dream. We sit lance another year, trade jimmy and start Brady

1643074365517.png

Eelectrica

Referee
Defence was done but eventually someone drops a pass or misses a kick or something. At the very least it didn’t warrant a golden point finish. If Chiefs didn’t score and Bills went down field and did, I’d have said the same thing.
2 point conversion at end would’ve been ballsy, if they don’t convert they definitely at mercy of Chiefs kicker because as you say defence was done, Chiefs were always getting that field goal chance.

Definitely a great game. I just think the ending may prompt NFL to review their OT rules
One proposed rule change for OT is 8 points wins it. Basically you're giving the defense one more chance to come up with a play to keep the game alive.
I wouldn't mind something like that.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
One proposed rule change for OT is 8 points wins it. Basically you're giving the defense one more chance to come up with a play to keep the game alive.
I wouldn't mind something like that.
why cant we just let the opposition a right to respond? if they dont get a resulting TD then game over. Not sure why anyone would debate this, it is only fair.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah mate it’s tough, but bills should be proud of this as they did what they had too. No one can stop mahomes when he’s on, no game plan can stop him. Peoooe say they should’ve done this or that, mahomes still would’ve figured something else out.

Mahomes is a freak.

Eelectrica

Referee
why cant we just let the opposition a right to respond? if they dont get a resulting TD then game over. Not sure why anyone would debate this, it is only fair.
I wouldn't say no to that either, but the game has to have an end point.
We can't keep trading TD's until the sun goes nova.
The reality is there is no one size fits all to the problem.

Sure it sucked when Atlanta had no right of reply in the SB or when it happened to the Chiefs in 2018 or the Bills in this game.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I wouldn't say no to that either, but the game has to have an end point.
We can't keep trading TD's until the sun goes nova.
The reality is there is no one size fits all to the problem.

Sure it sucked when Atlanta had no right of reply in the SB or when it happened to the Chiefs in 2018 or the Bills in this game.

Yes I agree, but not sure which sport has a system in OT where the opposition has no right of reply?

Hell give the kickers a chance to settle it ffs, just allow the opposition a right to respond.

Eelectrica

Referee
Yes I agree, but not sure which sport has a system in OT where the opposition has no right of reply?

Hell give the kickers a chance to settle it ffs, just allow the opposition a right to respond.
Doesn't hsppen often, but in the NRL if you go length of the field in your set after the kickoff in OT it's lights out for the opponent.

T.S Quint

Coach
I’m watching the American sports programs and listened to a couple of podcasts and most of the talk is about that Chiefs/Bills game with good reason.
Then plenty of talk about Tom Brady and whether he will play next year. Then there’s a big discussion about Aaron Rodgers. Joe Burrow getting plenty of love and even some talk about Ryan Tannehill and how do the Titans go on from here. Stanford and the Rams getting plenty of praise.

There is barely any mention of the Niners and how they played, apart from the occasional swipe at Garropolo because “he didn’t win the game for them”.

Pretty safe to say we are huge underdogs next week.

T.S Quint

Coach
Doesn't hsppen often, but in the NRL if you go length of the field in your set after the kickoff in OT it's lights out for the opponent.

In the NFL it’s too easy to starve another team of the ball and give them no chance. Not as easy to do that in the NRL, even if it does occasionally happen.

In saying that I’ve never been a fan of Golden Point in the NRL either.

hindy111

Post Whore
Mahomes,Allen,Burrow,Herbert,Lamar,Watson are the best young QBs in the game.
What sucks for Oakland is 2 are in there division and same goes for Browns and Pitty.

The other side has Presccot and Murray. There is also Fields and Lance. Early days for those two but I do not see any in the same class as the others I mentioned.

Titans would be a great spot for Brady. Tannehill won't win you a bowl. Also don't think Prescot will. He is solid but lacks brilliance of others around.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I’m watching the American sports programs and listened to a couple of podcasts and most of the talk is about that Chiefs/Bills game with good reason.
Then plenty of talk about Tom Brady and whether he will play next year. Then there’s a big discussion about Aaron Rodgers. Joe Burrow getting plenty of love and even some talk about Ryan Tannehill and how do the Titans go on from here. Stanford and the Rams getting plenty of praise.

There is barely any mention of the Niners and how they played, apart from the occasional swipe at Garropolo because “he didn’t win the game for them”.

Pretty safe to say we are huge underdogs next week.
There is only so much time to talk about games. Honestly games like the chiefs vs bills are once in a lifetime games and deserves all the attention it gets. Watching Mahomes vs Allen yesterday was far better then the best Eli Manning ( and to a lesser extent Peyton Manning) vs Brady could muster up. Just amazing QB with traits that I doubt we have ever seen in QB'S.

Watching Mahomes vs Allen yesterday really made some of the greats QB's look very ordinary in what they could do.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Mahomes,Allen,Burrow,Herbert,Lamar,Watson are the best young QBs in the game.
What sucks for Oakland is 2 are in there division and same goes for Browns and Pitty.

The other side has Presccot and Murray. There is also Fields and Lance. Early days for those two but I do not see any in the same class as the others I mentioned.

Titans would be a great spot for Brady. Tannehill won't win you a bowl. Also don't think Prescot will. He is solid but lacks brilliance of others around.
I hate to say it, but Prescott & Murray wouldn't probably make the top 5 of QB's in the AFC. Being completely honest.

hindy111

Post Whore
I hate to say it, but Prescott & Murray wouldn't probably make the top 5 of QB's in the AFC. Being completely honest.

I agree. Murray may continue to develop however.
But Prescott has weapons. Has he improved on his first year( which was very good) IN division I'd rank the worse in the NFL. Wait till Phili,Giant and Washington improve. I reckon he will be flushed out. That's if they improve.

Do you rate Jalen Hurts? I am not sold on him. His reads are too slow. But he did improve a lot as season went on but against weak sides.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I agree. Murray may continue to develop however.
But Prescott has weapons. Has he improved on his first year( which was very good) IN division I'd rank the worse in the NFL. Wait till Phili,Giant and Washington improve. I reckon he will be flushed out. That's if they improve.

Do you rate Jalen Hurts? I am not sold on him. His reads are too slow. But he did improve a lot as season went on but against weak sides.
I rated Murray until the last game, he was beyond bad.

For some reason I just think he is missing something in his game, cant put my finger on it.

I don't mind Dak, but you need to see how he goes without all those weapons

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Jalen Hurts no not really, I think he has that special moments gene in him, but mechanics are f**king horrible imo.

But in saying that so were Allens when he was drafted. Allen proved if you have the desire, heart and do all it takes you can improve.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I think Phili done amazing this year, this shouldve been a complete write off year, i had them winning about 4-5 games and the Giants improving. Thats a good thing. I think getting Hurts weapons has to be totally emphasised. I would even send high draft pics to snag the weapons for hurts